Tuesday 23 October 2018

Isaiah 44

Isaiah is more difficult than Genesis to Kings. I am so used to the rhythm of the ancient translation and its musical settings that it is even more difficult for me to comb out the random variations in gloss.

Verse 8. Those three differing negative particles: לא is the traditional negative, by far the most common, אל has a sense of command, בל poetic equivalent of לא. (stats below)

As difficult as this chapter is, it is an argument in favour of inferential science, not to mention planting trees. Verse 20 is the clincher for today. Can we or can we not discern the falsehood in our right hand? Who do we worship? What doctrines are we afraid to give up? We are not so dumb as to worship the stove and the fridge - uh, wait a minute... maybe we are. Arms-trade before truth, anyone? Economy before humanity.

Isaiah 44 Fn Min Max Syll
וְעַתָּ֥ה שְׁמַ֖ע יַעֲקֹ֣ב עַבְדִּ֑י
וְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל בָּחַ֥רְתִּי בֽוֹ
1 So now hear, Jacob, my servant,
and Israel. I have chosen in him.
3e 4B 10
8
כֹּה־אָמַ֨ר יְהוָ֥ה עֹשֶׂ֛ךָ וְיֹצֶרְךָ֥ מִבֶּ֖טֶן יַעְזְרֶ֑ךָּ
אַל־תִּירָא֙ עַבְדִּ֣י יַֽעֲקֹ֔ב וִישֻׁר֖וּן בָּחַ֥רְתִּי בֽוֹ
2 Thus says Yahweh your maker, and who fashioned you from a belly, I will help you.
Do not fear, my servant, Jacob, and Jeshurun. I have chosen in him.
3d 4B 19
15
כִּ֤י אֶצָּק־מַ֙יִם֙ עַל־צָמֵ֔א וְנֹזְלִ֖ים עַל־יַבָּשָׁ֑ה
אֶצֹּ֤ק רוּחִי֙ עַל־זַרְעֶ֔ךָ וּבִרְכָתִ֖י עַל־צֶאֱצָאֶֽיךָ
3 C For I will infuse water to the thirsty, and flowing over dry land.
I will infuse my spirit over your seed, and my blessing on what comes forth from you.
3e 4C 14
18
וְצָמְח֖וּ בְּבֵ֣ין חָצִ֑יר
כַּעֲרָבִ֖ים עַל־יִבְלֵי־מָֽיִם
4 And they will sprout as amid grass,
as willows by productive water.
3e 4B 7
8
זֶ֤ה יֹאמַר֙ לַֽיהוָ֣ה אָ֔נִי וְזֶ֖ה יִקְרָ֣א בְשֵֽׁם־יַעֲקֹ֑ב
וְזֶ֗ה יִכְתֹּ֤ב יָדוֹ֙ לַֽיהוָ֔ה וּבְשֵׁ֥ם יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל יְכַנֶּֽה
5 C This one says, Yahweh's I am. And this one will call in the name of Jacob.
And this one will inscribe his hand, Yahweh's, and in the name of Israel entitle himself.
3e 4C 16
16
כֹּֽה־אָמַ֨ר יְהוָ֧ה מֶֽלֶךְ־יִשְׂרָאֵ֛ל וְגֹאֲל֖וֹ יְהוָ֣ה צְבָא֑וֹת
אֲנִ֤י רִאשׁוֹן֙ וַאֲנִ֣י אַחֲר֔וֹן וּמִבַּלְעָדַ֖י אֵ֥ין אֱלֹהִֽים
6 Thus says Yahweh king of Israel, and his redeemer, Yahweh of hosts,
I am first, and I am last, and apart from me there is no God.
3c 4C 18
19
וּמִֽי־כָמ֣וֹנִי יִקְרָ֗א וְיַגִּידֶ֤הָ וְיַעְרְכֶ֙הָ֙ לִ֔י מִשּׂוּמִ֖י עַם־עוֹלָ֑ם
וְאֹתִיּ֛וֹת וַאֲשֶׁ֥ר תָּבֹ֖אנָה יַגִּ֥ידוּ לָֽמוֹ
7 And who such as I, will call, and will make it clear, and will arrange it for me? I set in place the people of eras past,
and what arrives, and that which will come, let them make clear to them.
3d 4C 23
15
אַֽל־תִּפְחֲדוּ֙ וְאַל־תִּרְה֔וּ הֲלֹ֥א מֵאָ֛ז הִשְׁמַעְתִּ֥יךָ וְהִגַּ֖דְתִּי וְאַתֶּ֣ם עֵדָ֑י
הֲיֵ֤שׁ אֱל֙וֹהַּ֙ מִבַּלְעָדַ֔י וְאֵ֥ין צ֖וּר בַּל־יָדָֽעְתִּי
8 Do not be in dread and do not fear. Have I not from then reported to you and made it clear? And you are my witnesses.
Is there God apart from me? And there is no Rock that I do not know.
3d 4C 25
16
יֹֽצְרֵי־פֶ֤סֶל כֻּלָּם֙ תֹּ֔הוּ וַחֲמוּדֵיהֶ֖ם בַּל־יוֹעִ֑ילוּ
וְעֵדֵיהֶ֣ם הֵׄ֗מָּׄהׄ בַּל־יִרְא֛וּ וּבַל־יֵדְע֖וּ לְמַ֥עַן יֵבֹֽשׁוּ
9 Fashioners of a graven image, all of them, are disordered, and their attractions are useless.
And they are their own witnesses. they do not see and they do not know. So let them be ashamed.
3d 4C 16
19
מִֽי־יָצַ֥ר אֵ֖ל וּפֶ֣סֶל נָסָ֑ךְ
לְבִלְתִּ֖י הוֹעִֽיל
10 Who has fashioned a god, or graven image has spilled out,
with nary a use?
3e 4B 8
5
הֵ֤ן כָּל־חֲבֵרָיו֙ יֵבֹ֔שׁוּ וְחָרָשִׁ֥ים הֵ֖מָּה מֵֽאָדָ֑ם
יִֽתְקַבְּצ֤וּ כֻלָּם֙ יַֽעֲמֹ֔דוּ יִפְחֲד֖וּ יֵבֹ֥שׁוּ יָֽחַד
11 C Lo, all their companions will be ashamed. And the artificers, they are human.
Let them be rallied, all of them. Let them stand. Let them be in dread. Let them be ashamed together.
3e 4C 17
17
חָרַ֤שׁ בַּרְזֶל֙ מַֽעֲצָ֔ד וּפָעַל֙ בַּפֶּחָ֔ם וּבַמַּקָּב֖וֹת יִצְּרֵ֑הוּ
וַיִּפְעָלֵ֙הוּ֙ בִּזְר֣וֹעַ כֹּח֔וֹ גַּם־רָעֵב֙ וְאֵ֣ין כֹּ֔חַ לֹא־שָׁ֥תָה מַ֖יִם וַיִּיעָֽף
12 Smith with iron tool both works in the hot coals and with hammers fashions it,
and works with the arm of his power, even famished and without power, imbibing no water and tired.
3e 4C 21
23
חָרַ֣שׁ עֵצִים֮ נָ֣טָה קָו֒ יְתָאֲרֵ֣הוּ בַשֶּׂ֔רֶד יַעֲשֵׂ֙הוּ֙ בַּמַּקְצֻע֔וֹת וּבַמְּחוּגָ֖ה יְתָאֳרֵ֑הוּ
וַֽיַּעֲשֵׂ֙הוּ֙ כְּתַבְנִ֣ית אִ֔ישׁ כְּתִפְאֶ֥רֶת אָדָ֖ם לָשֶׁ֥בֶת בָּֽיִת
13 Carpenter, piece of wood stretching out a line, forms a pleat, constructs it with planes, and with compass he forms it.
And he makes it as the pattern of a man, as the adornment of a human, to sit it in a house.
3e 4B 32
20
לִכְרָת־ל֣וֹ אֲרָזִ֔ים וַיִּקַּ֤ח תִּרְזָה֙ וְאַלּ֔וֹן וַיְאַמֶּץ־ל֖וֹ בַּעֲצֵי־יָ֑עַר
נָטַ֥ע אֹ֖רֶן וְגֶ֥שֶׁם יְגַדֵּֽל
14 He cuts for it cedar, or takes cypress or oak, and, assured for it among the trees of the forest,
he plants a sapling that heavy rain will grow.
3e 4C 22
10
וְהָיָ֤ה לְאָדָם֙ לְבָעֵ֔ר וַיִּקַּ֤ח מֵהֶם֙ וַיָּ֔חָם אַף־יַשִּׂ֖יק וְאָ֣פָה לָ֑חֶם
אַף־יִפְעַל־אֵל֙ וַיִּשְׁתָּ֔חוּ עָשָׂ֥הוּ פֶ֖סֶל וַיִּסְגָּד־לָֽמוֹ
15 And it will be for a human, for kindling, and to be received from them, and for heat, indeed, ignited, and to bake bread.
Also to work a god, and worship it, making a graven image, and paying homage to it?
3e 4C 25
18
חֶצְיוֹ֙ שָׂרַ֣ף בְּמוֹ־אֵ֔שׁ עַל־חֶצְיוֹ֙ בָּשָׂ֣ר יֹאכֵ֔ל יִצְלֶ֥ה צָלִ֖י וְיִשְׂבָּ֑ע
אַף־יָחֹם֙ וְיֹאמַ֣ר הֶאָ֔ח חַמּוֹתִ֖י רָאִ֥יתִי אֽוּר
16 Its half incinerated into a fire, with its half, flesh for the eating, roasting a roast, and sated,
indeed, warmth, and saying, Aha, I am warm. I have seen a light.
3e 4B 21
15
וּשְׁאֵ֣רִית֔וֹ לְאֵ֥ל עָשָׂ֖ה לְפִסְל֑וֹ
יִסְגָּד־ל֤וֹ וְיִשְׁתַּ֙חוּ֙ וְיִתְפַּלֵּ֣ל אֵלָ֔יו וְיֹאמַר֙ הַצִּילֵ֔נִי כִּ֥י אֵלִ֖י אָֽתָּה
17 And its residue, for making a god? for its graven image?
to pay homage to it? and worship? and pray to it? and say, Deliver me, for my God you are?
3e 4C 11
25
לֹ֥א יָדְע֖וּ וְלֹ֣א יָבִ֑ינוּ
כִּ֣י טַ֤ח מֵֽרְאוֹת֙ עֵֽינֵיהֶ֔ם מֵהַשְׂכִּ֖יל לִבֹּתָֽם
18 f They do not know and they do not understand,
for he has plastered from seeing, their eyes, from insight, their heart.
3e 4C 8
13
וְלֹא־יָשִׁ֣יב אֶל־לִבּ֗וֹ וְלֹ֨א דַ֥עַת וְלֹֽא־תְבוּנָה֮ לֵאמֹר֒ חֶצְי֞וֹ שָׂרַ֣פְתִּי בְמוֹ־אֵ֗שׁ וְ֠אַף אָפִ֤יתִי עַל־גֶּחָלָיו֙ לֶ֔חֶם אֶצְלֶ֥ה בָשָׂ֖ר וְאֹכֵ֑ל
וְיִתְרוֹ֙ לְתוֹעֵבָ֣ה אֶעֱשֶׂ֔ה לְב֥וּל עֵ֖ץ אֶסְגּֽוֹד
19 One does not reply to his heart, nor know, nor discern, saying, Its half I incinerated in a fire, and also I have baked bread on its coals. I have roasted flesh, and I have eaten.
And its surplus into an abomination will I make? To a hunk of a tree will I pay homage?
3e 4C 43
15
רֹעֶ֣ה אֵ֔פֶר לֵ֥ב הוּתַ֖ל הִטָּ֑הוּ
וְלֹֽא־יַצִּ֤יל אֶת־נַפְשׁוֹ֙ וְלֹ֣א יֹאמַ֔ר הֲל֥וֹא שֶׁ֖קֶר בִּימִינִֽי
20 He grazes on ashes, heart deluded, bent,
nor can he deliver his very self, nor say, Is there no falsehood in my right hand?
3e 4C 10
17
זְכָר־אֵ֣לֶּה יַעֲקֹ֔ב וְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל כִּ֣י עַבְדִּי־אָ֑תָּה
יְצַרְתִּ֤יךָ עֶֽבֶד־לִי֙ אַ֔תָּה יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל לֹ֥א תִנָּשֵֽׁנִי
21 Remember these, Jacob, and Israel, for my servant you are.
I have fashioned you. My servant you are, Israel. Do not be oblivious of me.
3e 4C 15
17
מָחִ֤יתִי כָעָב֙ פְּשָׁעֶ֔יךָ וְכֶעָנָ֖ן חַטֹּאותֶ֑יךָ
שׁוּבָ֥ה אֵלַ֖י כִּ֥י גְאַלְתִּֽיךָ
22 I have wiped out as a thick cloud your transgressions, and as a cloud your sins.
Return to me, for I have redeemed you.
3e 4C 17
9
רָנּ֨וּ שָׁמַ֜יִם כִּֽי־עָשָׂ֣ה יְהוָ֗ה הָרִ֙יעוּ֙ תַּחְתִּיּ֣וֹת אָ֔רֶץ פִּצְח֤וּ הָרִים֙ רִנָּ֔ה יַ֖עַר וְכָל־עֵ֣ץ בּ֑וֹ
כִּֽי־גָאַ֤ל יְהוָה֙ יַֽעֲקֹ֔ב וּבְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל יִתְפָּאָֽר
23 Shout for joy, heaven, for Yahweh has made it so. Raise a shout, lower parts of the earth. Erupt, hills, with a loud shout, forest and every tree in it.
For Yahweh has redeemed Jacob, and in Israel, he has adorned himself.
3e 4C 28
14
כֹּֽה־אָמַ֤ר יְהוָה֙ גֹּאֲלֶ֔ךָ וְיֹצֶרְךָ֖ מִבָּ֑טֶן
אָנֹכִ֤י יְהוָה֙ עֹ֣שֶׂה כֹּ֔ל נֹטֶ֤ה שָׁמַ֙יִם֙ לְבַדִּ֔י רֹקַ֥ע הָאָ֖רֶץ מֵאִתִּֽי
24 Thus says Yahweh your redeemer, and who fashioned you from a belly,
I am Yahweh, doing all, stretching out the heavens alone, the expanse of the earth by myself.
3e 4C 15
23
מֵפֵר֙ אֹת֣וֹת בַּדִּ֔ים וְקֹסְמִ֖ים יְהוֹלֵ֑ל
מֵשִׁ֧יב חֲכָמִ֛ים אָח֖וֹר וְדַעְתָּ֥ם יְשַׂכֵּֽל
25 Who thwarts the signs of those who contrive, and the soothsayers he makes dunderheads,
reversing the wise from behind, and their knowledge making silly.
3c 4B 12
13
מֵקִים֙ דְּבַ֣ר עַבְדּ֔וֹ וַעֲצַ֥ת מַלְאָכָ֖יו יַשְׁלִ֑ים
הָאֹמֵ֨ר לִירוּשָׁלִַ֜ם תּוּשָׁ֗ב וּלְעָרֵ֤י יְהוּדָה֙ תִּבָּנֶ֔ינָה וְחָרְבוֹתֶ֖יהָ אֲקוֹמֵֽם
26 Raising the word of his servant, and the counsel of his messengers making whole,
saying to Jerusalem, You will be inhabited. And to the cities of Judah, You will be built. And her deserts I will raise up.
3e 4C 14
27
הָאֹמֵ֥ר לַצּוּלָ֖ה חֳרָ֑בִי
וְנַהֲרֹתַ֖יִךְ אוֹבִֽישׁ
27 Saying to the depth, Be drained,
and your rivers, I will dry up.
3e 4A 9
8
הָאֹמֵ֤ר לְכ֙וֹרֶשׁ֙ רֹעִ֔י וְכָל־חֶפְצִ֖י יַשְׁלִ֑ם
וְלֵאמֹ֤ר לִירוּשָׁלִַ֙ם֙ תִּבָּנֶ֔ה וְהֵיכָ֖ל תִּוָּסֵֽד
28 Saying to Cyrus, my shepherd, and all my delight he will make whole.
And to say to Jerusalem, You will be built, and, the temple, Your foundation will be laid.
3e 4C 14
16
I am imagining all sorts of ways in which the rules of translation for a limited sized puzzle like this could be automated now that I have the stems and their related English lemma forms (at least in part).

The stem יסד I just noted has a couple of overlaps in the Psalms. These I allowed probably 5 years ago or more. Would I allow this overlap now? I see a couple of overlaps in the gloss use. They are צלה (use, useless) and יעל (thrive, prosper, useful only in Jeremiah 13). In this one I am disappointed because of the power of the image of the girdle. But I have no solution at present. If it is important, post-analysis will pick it up again.

Distribution of negative particles by book
Bookאלבללא
Genesis392204
Exodus201243
Leviticus111280
Numbers143185
Deuteronomy243409
Joshua200101
Judges180133
1 Samuel260176
2 Samuel210119
1 Kings130170
2 Kings240163
Isaiah4625417
Jeremiah903476
Ezekiel161332
Hosea8368
Joel4011
Amos2068
Obadiah801
Jonah508
Micah6025
Nahum009
Habakkuk0017
Zephaniah2025
Haggai103
Zechariah7046
Malachi1016
Psalms11533332
Proverbs9113128
Job254310
Song2011
Ruth8016
Lamentations5137
Qohelet21161
Esther4028
Daniel60115
Ezra2026
Nehemiah9061
1 Chronicles7352
2 Chronicles192156


No comments:

Post a Comment