Wednesday 18 November 2015

Psalm 141 - a lid on my lips

No lid on my lips necessary to re-post this psalm that I just happen to be reading. Am I totally out to lunch when I say that David was taught a different kind of war that the nations have not yet learned.

The word painting in verse 4 on 'wantonly wanton in wickedness with others' (wow) is striking. perhaps slightly difficult to sing in this major-minor mode.


Psalms 141 Fn Min Max Syll
מִזְמ֗וֹר לְדָ֫וִ֥ד
יְהוָ֣ה קְ֭רָאתִיךָ ח֣וּשָׁה לִּ֑י
הַאֲזִ֥ינָה ק֝וֹלִ֗י בְּקָרְאִי־לָֽךְ
1 A psalm of David,
Yahweh, I call to you. Hurry to me.
Give ear to my voice when I call to you.
3e 4B 5
9
10
תִּכּ֤וֹן תְּפִלָּתִ֣י קְטֹ֣רֶת לְפָנֶ֑יךָ
מַֽשְׂאַ֥ת כַּ֝פַּ֗י מִנְחַת־עָֽרֶב
2 C Let my prayer be established, incense in your presence,
a lifting up of my palms, the gifts of evening.

3e 4C 13
8
שִׁיתָ֣ה יְ֭הוָה שָׁמְרָ֣ה לְפִ֑י
נִ֝צְּרָ֗ה עַל־דַּ֥ל שְׂפָתָֽי
3 Set, Yahweh, a guard on my mouth.
Preserve the gateway of my lips.
3e 4B 8
7
אַל־תַּט־לִבִּ֨י לְדָבָ֪ר ׀ רָ֡ע לְהִתְע֘וֹלֵ֤ל עֲלִל֨וֹת ׀ בְּרֶ֗שַׁע אֶת־אִישִׁ֥ים פֹּֽעֲלֵי־אָ֑וֶן
וּבַל־אֶ֝לְחַ֗ם בְּמַנְעַמֵּיהֶֽם
4 Do not bend my heart to a word of evil, wantonly wanton in wickedness with others, workers of mischief,
and let me not partake in their pleasures.

3d 4C 25
9
יֶֽהֶלְמֵֽנִי־צַדִּ֨יק ׀ חֶ֡סֶד וְֽיוֹכִיחֵ֗נִי שֶׁ֣מֶן רֹ֭אשׁ אַל־יָנִ֣י רֹאשִׁ֑י
כִּי־ע֥וֹד וּ֝תְפִלָּתִ֗י בְּרָעוֹתֵיהֶֽם
5 Let one who is righteous smite me with kindness. Let him correct me as oil on a head. Let not my head hinder.
For persistent is my prayer in their evils.
3e 4B 20
11
נִשְׁמְט֣וּ בִֽידֵי־סֶ֭לַע שֹׁפְטֵיהֶ֑ם
וְשָׁמְע֥וּ אֲ֝מָרַ֗י כִּ֣י נָעֵֽמוּ
6 When those judging them are remitted by means of a cliff,
then they will hear my promises for they are pleasant.
3e 4B 9
10
כְּמ֤וֹ פֹלֵ֣חַ וּבֹקֵ֣עַ בָּאָ֑רֶץ
נִפְזְר֥וּ עֲ֝צָמֵ֗ינוּ לְפִ֣י שְׁאֽוֹל
7 C As one slices and splits upon the earth,
scattered are our bones to the mouth of the grave.

3e 4C 12
11
כִּ֤י אֵלֶ֨יךָ ׀ יְהֹוִ֣ה אֲדֹנָ֣י עֵינָ֑י
בְּכָ֥ה חָ֝סִ֗יתִי אַל־תְּעַ֥ר נַפְשִֽׁי
8 C For to you Yahweh my Lord are my eyes.
In you I take refuge. Do not expose my being.
3e 4C 12
10
שָׁמְרֵ֗נִי מִ֣ידֵי פַ֭ח יָ֣קְשׁוּ לִ֑י
וּ֝מֹקְשׁ֗וֹת פֹּ֣עֲלֵי אָֽוֶן
9 Guard me from the means of the snare they have set to trap me,
and from the traps of the workers of mischief.
3e 4B 9
8
יִפְּל֣וּ בְמַכְמֹרָ֣יו רְשָׁעִ֑ים
יַ֥חַד אָ֝נֹכִ֗י עַֽד־אֶעֱבֽוֹר
10 Let the wicked fall into their own cravings.
As one I myself yet pass through.
3e 4B 9
9


No comments:

Post a Comment