Friday 13 November 2015

2 Samuel 22

Very different in many details from Psalm 18 which it follows or precedes closely. I thought this was going to be a slam-dunk but it took the best part of a day, comparing the text with Psalm 18. I expect one could do a doctoral thesis on these two. Alison Gray did just that (Gray, Alison. 2012. Psalm 18 in Words and Pictures: A Reading Through Metaphor) but there is much more in the comparison of the two texts and the implications for living the song.

Some day, maybe tomorrow or next week, I will compare the musical phrases, Psalm 18 in the poetic accents and 2 Samuel 22 in the prose accents. (The PDFs are both available of course - so you could do the comparison. I have embedded them below the text.)

2 Samuel 22 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיְדַבֵּ֤ר דָּוִד֙ לַֽיהוָ֔ה אֶת־דִּבְרֵ֖י הַשִּׁירָ֣ה הַזֹּ֑את
בְּיוֹם֩ הִצִּ֨יל יְהוָ֥ה אֹת֛וֹ מִכַּ֥ף כָּל־אֹיְבָ֖יו וּמִכַּ֥ף שָׁאֽוּל
1 And David spoke to Yahweh the words of this particular song,
in the day delivered Yahweh him from the palm of all his enemies and from the palm of Saul.
3d 4C 15
18
וַיֹּאמַ֑ר
יְהוָ֛ה סַֽלְעִ֥י וּמְצֻדָתִ֖י וּמְפַלְטִי־לִֽי
2 And he said,
Yahweh my cliff and my fortress and my security for me.
3d 4A 3
12
אֱלֹהֵ֥י צוּרִ֖י אֶחֱסֶה־בּ֑וֹ
מָגִנִּ֞י וְקֶ֣רֶן יִשְׁעִ֗י מִשְׂגַּבִּי֙ וּמְנוּסִ֔י מֹשִׁעִ֕י מֵחָמָ֖ס תֹּשִׁעֵֽנִי
3 My God, my rock. I will take refuge in him,
my shield and the horn of my salvation, my retreat, and my haven, my salvation, from violence you save me.
3e 4B 9
24
מְהֻלָּ֖ל אֶקְרָ֣א יְהוָ֑ה
וּמֵאֹיְבַ֖י אִוָּשֵֽׁעַ
4 Praising I will call Yahweh,
and from my enemies I will be saved.
3e 4B 7
8
כִּ֥י אֲפָפֻ֖נִי מִשְׁבְּרֵי־מָ֑וֶת
נַחֲלֵ֥י בְלִיַּ֖עַל יְבַעֲתֻֽנִי
5 f For I was enveloped by the breakers of death.
Torrents of worthlessness alarmed me.
3e 4A 9
12
חֶבְלֵ֥י שְׁא֖וֹל סַבֻּ֑נִי
קִדְּמֻ֖נִי מֹֽקְשֵׁי־מָֽוֶת
6 Pangs of the grave surrounded me.
I was confronted by death traps.
3e 4A 7
6
בַּצַּר־לִי֙ אֶקְרָ֣א יְהוָ֔ה וְאֶל־אֱלֹהַ֖י אֶקְרָ֑א
וַיִּשְׁמַ֤ע מֵהֵֽיכָלוֹ֙ קוֹלִ֔י וְשַׁוְעָתִ֖י בְּאָזְנָֽיו
7 In my straits I call upon Yahweh and to my God I call,
and he heard from his temple my voice, and my cry into his ears.
3e 4C 14
16
וַיִּתְגָּעַ֤שׁ וַתִּרְעַשׁ֙ הָאָ֔רֶץ מוֹסְד֥וֹת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם יִרְגָּ֑זוּ
וַיִּֽתְגָּעֲשׁ֖וּ כִּֽי־חָ֥רָה לֽוֹ
8 And the earth shakes and quakes. The foundations of the heavens shudder and are shaken,
for he was burning with anger.
3e 4C 18
8
עָלָ֤ה עָשָׁן֙ בְּאַפּ֔וֹ וְאֵ֥שׁ מִפִּ֖יו תֹּאכֵ֑ל
גֶּחָלִ֖ים בָּעֲר֥וּ מִמֶּֽנּוּ
9 A smoke ascends from his nostrils and fire from his mouth devours.
Coals were kindled from it.
3e 4C 13
9
וַיֵּ֥ט שָׁמַ֖יִם וַיֵּרַ֑ד
וַעֲרָפֶ֖ל תַּ֥חַת רַגְלָֽיו
10 And he bends heavens and descends,
with dark turbulence under its feet.
3e 4A 7
8
וַיִּרְכַּ֥ב עַל־כְּר֖וּב וַיָּעֹ֑ף
וַיֵּרָ֖א עַל־כַּנְפֵי־רֽוּחַ
11 And he rides on a cherub and he flies,
and was seen on the wings of the wind.
3e 4A 9
7
וַיָּ֥שֶׁת חֹ֛שֶׁךְ סְבִיבֹתָ֖יו סֻכּ֑וֹת
חַֽשְׁרַת־מַ֖יִם עָבֵ֥י שְׁחָקִֽים
12 And he sets darkness round about him overshadowed,
inky waters, thick clouds of the skies.
3d 4A 11
8
מִנֹּ֖גַהּ נֶגְדּ֑וֹ
בָּעֲר֖וּ גַּחֲלֵי־אֵֽשׁ
13 From the luminous before him,
were kindled coals of fire.
3e 4A 5
7
יַרְעֵ֥ם מִן־שָׁמַ֖יִם יְהוָ֑ה
וְעֶלְי֖וֹן יִתֵּ֥ן קוֹלֽוֹ
14 Yahweh thunders from the heavens,
and the Most High gives his voice.
3e 4A 7
7
וַיִּשְׁלַ֥ח חִצִּ֖ים וַיְפִיצֵ֑ם
בָּרָ֖ק וַיָּהֹֽם
15 And he sends arrows and disperses them,
lightning and confuses them.
3e 4A 8
5
וַיֵּֽרָאוּ֙ אֲפִ֣קֵי יָ֔ם יִגָּל֖וּ מֹסְד֣וֹת תֵּבֵ֑ל
בְּגַעֲרַ֣ת יְהוָ֔ה מִנִּשְׁמַ֖ת ר֥וּחַ אַפּֽוֹ
16 Then seen are the channels of the sea, discovered are the foundations of the world,
at the rebuke of Yahweh, at the breath of the wind of his anger.
3e 4B 15
13
יִשְׁלַ֥ח מִמָּר֖וֹם יִקָּחֵ֑נִי
יַֽמְשֵׁ֖נִי מִמַּ֥יִם רַבִּֽים
17 He will send from on high. He will take me.
He will draw me out from many waters.
3e 4A 9
7
יַצִּילֵ֕נִי מֵאֹיְבִ֖י עָ֑ז
מִשֹּׂ֣נְאַ֔י כִּ֥י אָמְצ֖וּ מִמֶּֽנִּי
18 He will deliver me from my strong enemy,
from those hating me, for they are more assured than I.
3e 4B 8
9
יְקַדְּמֻ֖נִי בְּי֣וֹם אֵידִ֑י
וַיְהִ֧י יְהוָ֛ה מִשְׁעָ֖ן לִֽי
19 They will confront me in the day of my misfortune,
but Yahweh will become my staff.
3c 4B 8
7
וַיֹּצֵ֥א לַמֶּרְחָ֖ב אֹתִ֑י
יְחַלְּצֵ֖נִי כִּי־חָ֥פֵֽץ בִּֽי
20 He brought me out into a spacious room.
He will rescue me for he delighted in me.
3e 4A 8
7
יִגְמְלֵ֥נִי יְהוָ֖ה כְּצִדְקָתִ֑י
כְּבֹ֥ר יָדַ֖י יָשִׁ֥יב לִֽי
21 Yahweh will reward me for my righteousness.
For the purity of my hands, he will turn to me.
3e 4A 10
7
כִּ֥י שָׁמַ֖רְתִּי דַּרְכֵ֣י יְהוָ֑ה
וְלֹ֥א רָשַׁ֖עְתִּי מֵאֱלֹהָֽי
22 f For I have kept the ways of Yahweh,
and I have not been wicked with my God.
3e 4B 8
9
כִּ֥י כָל־מִשְׁפָּטָ֖יו לְנֶגְדִּ֑י
וְחֻקֹּתָ֖יו לֹא־אָס֥וּר מִמֶּֽנָּה
23 f For all his judgments are before me,
and his statutes I will not put aside from me.
3e 4A 8
9
וָאֶהְיֶ֥ה תָמִ֖ים ל֑וֹ
וָאֶשְׁתַּמְּרָ֖ה מֵעֲוֺנִֽי
24 And I am complete for him,
and I have kept myself from my iniquity.
3e 4A 6
8
וַיָּ֧שֶׁב יְהוָ֛ה לִ֖י כְּצִדְקָתִ֑י
כְּבֹרִ֖י לְנֶ֥גֶד עֵינָֽיו
25 And turned Yahweh to me for my righteousness,
for my purity before his eyes.
3c 4A 10
8
עִם־חָסִ֖יד תִּתְחַסָּ֑ד
עִם־גִּבּ֥וֹר תָּמִ֖ים תִּתַּמָּֽם
26 With one who is kind, you show yourself kind.
With one who prevails complete, you show yourself complete.
3e 4A 6
8
עִם־נָבָ֖ר תִּתָּבָ֑ר
וְעִם־עִקֵּ֖שׁ תִּתַּפָּֽל
27 With the pure you show yourself pure,
and with the devious you are tortuous.
3e 4A 6
7
וְאֶת־עַ֥ם עָנִ֖י תּוֹשִׁ֑יעַ
וְעֵינֶ֖יךָ עַל־רָמִ֥ים תַּשְׁפִּֽיל
28 And an impoverished people you will save.
And your eyes on the exalted, you will humble.
3e 4A 8
9
כִּֽי־אַתָּ֥ה נֵירִ֖י יְהוָ֑ה
וַיהוָ֖ה יַגִּ֥יהַּ חָשְׁכִּֽי
29 For you are my lamp, Yahweh,
and Yahweh will illuminate my darkness.
3e 4A 6
7
כִּ֥י בְכָ֖ה אָר֣וּץ גְּד֑וּד
בֵּאלֹהַ֖י אֲדַלֶּג־שֽׁוּר
30 f For in you I have raced a raiding party.
In my God I have leapt a barrier.
3e 4B 7
7
הָאֵ֖ל תָּמִ֣ים דַּרְכּ֑וֹ
אִמְרַ֤ת יְהוָה֙ צְרוּפָ֔ה מָגֵ֣ן ה֔וּא לְכֹ֖ל הַחֹסִ֥ים בּֽוֹ
31 This God, his way is complete.
The promise of Yahweh refined, he is a shield to all who take refuge in him.
3e 4C 6
16
כִּ֥י מִי־אֵ֖ל מִבַּלְעֲדֵ֣י יְהוָ֑ה
וּמִ֥י צ֖וּר מִֽבַּלְעֲדֵ֥י אֱלֹהֵֽינוּ
32 f For who is the One apart from Yahweh,
and who a rock apart from our God?
3e 4B 9
11
הָאֵ֥ל מָעוּזִּ֖י חָ֑יִל
וַיַּתֵּ֥ר תָּמִ֖ים דַּרְכִּֽי
33 This God my forceful strength,
and he releases the completeness of my way.
3e 4A 7
7
מְשַׁוֶּ֥ה רַגְלַ֖י כָּאַיָּל֑וֹת
וְעַ֥ל בָּמוֹתַ֖י יַעֲמִדֵֽנִי
34 Making my feet resemble the hart,
and on my high places he stands me,
3e 4A 9
10
מְלַמֵּ֥ד יָדַ֖י לַמִּלְחָמָ֑ה
וְנִחַ֥ת קֶֽשֶׁת־נְחוּשָׁ֖ה זְרֹעֹתָֽי
35 in teaching my hands to war,
and he has pinned brazen bow by my arms.
3e 4A 9
12
וַתִּתֶּן־לִ֖י מָגֵ֣ן יִשְׁעֶ֑ךָ
וַעֲנֹתְךָ֖ תַּרְבֵּֽנִי
36 And you gave me the shield of your salvation.
Though I have afflicted you, you give me increase.
3e 4B 9
7
תַּרְחִ֥יב צַעֲדִ֖י תַּחְתֵּ֑נִי
וְלֹ֥א מָעֲד֖וּ קַרְסֻלָּֽי
37 You will broaden my paces under me,
lest my ankles be unstable.
3e 4A 8
8
אֶרְדְּפָ֥ה אֹיְבַ֖י וָאַשְׁמִידֵ֑ם
וְלֹ֥א אָשׁ֖וּב עַד־כַּלּוֹתָֽם
38 I am pursuing my enemies and I am exterminating them,
and I will not turn back until they are finished.
3e 4A 9
8
וָאֲכַלֵּ֥ם וָאֶמְחָצֵ֖ם וְלֹ֣א יְקוּמ֑וּן
וַֽיִּפְּל֖וּ תַּ֥חַת רַגְלָֽי
39 And I have consumed them and wounded them and they will not arise,
and they are fallen under my feet.
3e 4B 13
7
וַתַּזְרֵ֥נִי חַ֖יִל לַמִּלְחָמָ֑ה
תַּכְרִ֥יעַ קָמַ֖י תַּחְתֵּֽנִי
40 And you have girded me with force for the war.
Those arising against me you will bow down under me.
3e 4A 10
8
וְאֹ֣יְבַ֔י תַּ֥תָּה לִּ֖י עֹ֑רֶף
מְשַׂנְאַ֖י וָאַצְמִיתֵֽם
41 And my enemies, you have given to me the nape,
of those hating me, and I will annihilate them.
3e 4B 8
7
יִשְׁע֖וּ וְאֵ֣ין מֹשִׁ֑יעַ
אֶל־יְהוָ֖ה וְלֹ֥א עָנָֽם
42 They will cry and there is no salvation,
to Yahweh but he did not answer them.
3e 4B 7
7
וְאֶשְׁחָקֵ֖ם כַּעֲפַר־אָ֑רֶץ
כְּטִיט־חוּצ֥וֹת אֲדִקֵּ֖ם אֶרְקָעֵֽם
43 And I pulverized them like the dust of earth.
As dirt of the streets, I will stamp them out, I will pummel them.
3e 4A 9
10
וַֽתְּפַלְּטֵ֔נִי מֵרִיבֵ֖י עַמִּ֑י
תִּשְׁמְרֵ֙נִי֙ לְרֹ֣אשׁ גּוֹיִ֔ם עַ֥ם לֹא־יָדַ֖עְתִּי יַעַבְדֻֽנִי
44 And you will secure me in the disputes of my people.
You will keep me as the beginning of nations. A people I did not know will serve me.
3e 4B 9
16
בְּנֵ֥י נֵכָ֖ר יִתְכַּֽחֲשׁוּ־לִ֑י
לִשְׁמ֥וֹעַ אֹ֖זֶן יִשָּׁ֥מְעוּ לִֽי
45 The children of the alien will cringe to me.
In the hearing of an ear, they will hear me.
3e 4A 9
9
בְּנֵ֥י נֵכָ֖ר יִבֹּ֑לוּ
וְיַחְגְּר֖וּ מִמִּסְגְּרוֹתָֽם
46 The children of the alien will wither,
and they will wear their imprisonment.
3e 4A 7
9
חַי־יְהוָ֖ה וּבָר֣וּךְ צוּרִ֑י
וְיָרֻ֕ם אֱלֹהֵ֖י צ֥וּר יִשְׁעִֽי
47 Yahweh lives and blessed is my rock,
and exalted is the God of the rock of my salvation..
3e 4B 9
9
הָאֵ֕ל הַנֹּתֵ֥ן נְקָמֹ֖ת לִ֑י
וּמוֹרִ֥יד עַמִּ֖ים תַּחְתֵּֽנִי
48 This God gives my vengeance,
and he brings down peoples under me,
3e 4A 9
8
וּמוֹצִיאִ֖י מֵאֹֽיְבָ֑י
וּמִקָּמַי֙ תְּר֣וֹמְמֵ֔נִי מֵאִ֥ישׁ חֲמָסִ֖ים תַּצִּילֵֽנִי
49 So bringing me out from my enemies,
and from those arising against me you will exalt me. From a violent person you will deliver me.
3e 4B 7
17
עַל־כֵּ֛ן אוֹדְךָ֥ יְהוָ֖ה בַּגּוֹיִ֑ם
וּלְשִׁמְךָ֖ אֲזַמֵּֽר
50 Therefore I will give you thanks, Yahweh, among the nations,
and to your name I will sing a psalm,
3d 4A 9
6
מִגְדּ֖וֹל יְשׁוּע֣וֹת מַלְכּ֑וֹ
וְעֹֽשֶׂה־חֶ֧סֶד לִמְשִׁיח֛וֹ לְדָוִ֥ד וּלְזַרְע֖וֹ עַד־עוֹלָֽם
51 for the one who magnifies the victories of his king,
and does kindness for his anointed, for David and his seed for evermore.
3c 4B 7
17



No comments:

Post a Comment