Thursday 26 November 2015

Esther 10

Moving right along. I had done a bit of Esther before. I think chapter 1 is drafted. I was, however, shocked at the farcical nature of that chapter, so in earlier days, I did not continue my work completing the five scrolls. So I won't start with chapter 1, but rather at the end, the short three verse chapter 10 that concludes this story of the origin of Purim. I have at the moment decided to use the Judean as my reading of יְהוּדִי, Greek τῶν Ιουδαίων, reading it as 'someone from Judea, the land of Judah'. So the English sounds more like the Greek and the noun is a geographic rather than a political name. I would do this also for a NT reading. I have no category for political names. (I could invent one of course.)

Esther 10 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיָּשֶׂם֩ הַמֶּ֨לֶךְ אֲחַשְׁוֵר֧וֹשׁ ׀ מַ֛ס עַל־הָאָ֖רֶץ וְאִיֵּ֥י הַיָּֽם 1 So the king Ahasuerus set in place taxation over the earth and the islands of the sea. 3c 3g 20
וְכָל־מַעֲשֵׂ֤ה תָקְפּוֹ֙ וּגְב֣וּרָת֔וֹ וּפָרָשַׁת֙ גְּדֻלַּ֣ת מָרְדֳּכַ֔י אֲשֶׁ֥ר גִּדְּל֖וֹ הַמֶּ֑לֶךְ
הֲלוֹא־הֵ֣ם כְּתוּבִ֗ים עַל־סֵ֙פֶר֙ דִּבְרֵ֣י הַיָּמִ֔ים לְמַלְכֵ֖י מָדַ֥י וּפָרָֽס
2 And all the deeds of his energy and his valour, the distinction of the greatness of Mordecai, that the king promoted for him,
are they not written in the record of the words of the days of the kings of Media and Persia?
3e 4C 28
22
כִּ֣י ׀ מָרְדֳּכַ֣י הַיְּהוּדִ֗י מִשְׁנֶה֙ לַמֶּ֣לֶךְ אֲחַשְׁוֵר֔וֹשׁ וְגָדוֹל֙ לַיְּהוּדִ֔ים וְרָצ֖וּי לְרֹ֣ב אֶחָ֑יו
דֹּרֵ֥שׁ טוֹב֙ לְעַמּ֔וֹ וְדֹבֵ֥ר שָׁל֖וֹם לְכָל־זַרְעֽוֹ
3 B Because Mordecai the Judean was second to the king Ahasuerus and great among the Judeans, and accepted of the multitude of his kin,
searching out the good for his people and speaking peace to all his seed.
3e 4B 29
15


No comments:

Post a Comment