Sunday 15 July 2018

Psalms 77

I wonder if this psalm is ever in the lectionary. Yes in part in year C, but omitting the real verses that express the despair of the faithful. Will we say these missing verses (9 and 10) verses when the current world is falling about our ears because we have failed to keep up our own responsibility? I am critical of the organizers of the lectionary that they left out what are critical aspects of the full gamut of human reactions.

If we are going to be shaken in our unshakable kingdom, we had better know how to respond to our own negative reactions. We need these hard questions.
 

Psalms 77 Fn Min Max Syll
לַמְנַצֵּ֥חַ עַֽל־יְדוּת֗וּן לְאָסָ֥ף מִזְמֽוֹר 1 For the leader. For Jeduthun. Of Asaph, a psalm. 3e 3f 13
קוֹלִ֣י אֶל־אֱלֹהִ֣ים וְאֶצְעָ֑קָה
קוֹלִ֥י אֶל־אֱ֝לֹהִ֗ים וְהַאֲזִ֥ין אֵלָֽי
2 My voice to God, and I cried out,
my voice to God, and he listened to me.
3e 4B 10
12
בְּי֥וֹם צָרָתִי֮ אֲדֹנָ֪י דָּ֫רָ֥שְׁתִּי
יָדִ֤י ׀ לַ֣יְלָה נִ֭גְּרָה וְלֹ֣א תָפ֑וּג
מֵאֲנָ֖ה הִנָּחֵ֣ם נַפְשִֽׁי
3 In the day of my trouble I searched out my Lord,
my hand by night wrung out and without numbness,
my being would not be comforted.
3d 4C 11
10
8
אֶזְכְּרָ֣ה אֱלֹהִ֣ים וְאֶֽהֱמָיָ֑ה
אָשִׂ֓יחָה ׀ וְתִתְעַטֵּ֖ף רוּחִ֣י סֶֽלָה
4 I remember God and I murmur.
I ponder and my spirit is disabled. Selah.
3e 4B 11
11
אָ֭חַזְתָּ שְׁמֻר֣וֹת עֵינָ֑י
נִ֝פְעַ֗מְתִּי וְלֹ֣א אֲדַבֵּֽר
5 g You have held fast my watching eyes.
I am beaten down and I will not speak.

3e 4B 8
8
חִשַּׁ֣בְתִּי יָמִ֣ים מִקֶּ֑דֶם
שְׁ֝נ֗וֹת עוֹלָמִֽים
6 I have reckoned the days of old,
the years of the eras past.
3e 4B 8
5
אֶֽזְכְּרָ֥ה נְגִינָתִ֗י בַּ֫לָּ֥יְלָה
עִם־לְבָבִ֥י אָשִׂ֑יחָה
וַיְחַפֵּ֥שׂ רוּחִֽי
7 I remember my music in the night.
With my heart I ponder,
and I plan in my spirit.
3e 4A 10
7
5
הַֽ֭לְעוֹלָמִים יִזְנַ֥ח ׀ אֲדֹנָ֑י
וְלֹֽא־יֹסִ֖יף לִרְצ֣וֹת עֽוֹד
8 g In the eras to come will my Lord reject?
Or will he never again be favorable?

3e 4B 9
6
הֶאָפֵ֣ס לָנֶ֣צַח חַסְדּ֑וֹ
גָּ֥מַר אֹ֝֗מֶר לְדֹ֣ר וָדֹֽר
9 Is it ended in perpetuity, his kindness?
Obliterated, a promise from generation to generation?
3e 4B 8
8
הֲשָׁכַ֣ח חַנּ֣וֹת אֵ֑ל
אִם־קָפַ֥ץ בְּ֝אַ֗ף רַחֲמָ֥יו סֶֽלָה
10 Has God forgotten grace?
As if in anger his compassions were shut up? Selah.

3e 4B 6
10
וָ֭אֹמַר חַלּ֣וֹתִי הִ֑יא
שְׁ֝נ֗וֹת יְמִ֣ין עֶלְיֽוֹן
11 g And I say, My entreaty is this:
the years of the right hand of the Most High.
3e 4B 7
6
אֶזְכּ֥וֹר מַֽעַלְלֵי־יָ֑הּ
כִּֽי־אֶזְכְּרָ֖ה מִקֶּ֣דֶם פִּלְאֶֽךָ
12 I will remember the prodigality of Yah,
for I remember from of old your wonders.
3e 4B 6
10
וְהָגִ֥יתִי בְכָל־פָּעֳלֶ֑ךָ
וּֽבַעֲלִ֖ילוֹתֶ֣יךָ אָשִֽׂיחָה
13 And I will muse on all your works,
And in your prodigality I ponder.

3e 4B 10
10
אֱ֭לֹהִים בַּקֹּ֣דֶשׁ דַּרְכֶּ֑ךָ
מִי־אֵ֥ל גָּ֝ד֗וֹל כֵּֽאלֹהִֽים
14 g God in holiness is your way.
Who is a god as great as God?
3e 4B 9
7
אַתָּ֣ה הָ֭אֵל עֹ֣שֵׂה פֶ֑לֶא
הוֹדַ֖עְתָּ בָעַמִּ֣ים עֻזֶּֽךָ
15 You are the God doing a wonder.
You make your strength known among the people.
3e 4B 8
9
גָּאַ֣לְתָּ בִּזְר֣וֹעַ עַמֶּ֑ךָ
בְּנֵי־יַעֲקֹ֖ב וְיוֹסֵ֣ף סֶֽלָה
16 You redeemed your people with an arm,
the children of Jacob and Joseph. Selah.

3e 4B 9
9
רָ֘א֤וּךָ מַּ֨יִם ׀ אֱֽלֹהִ֗ים רָא֣וּךָ מַּ֣יִם יָחִ֑ילוּ
אַ֝֗ף יִרְגְּז֥וּ תְהֹמֽוֹת
17 ~ The waters saw you O God,
the waters saw you and they writhed,
indeed the abysses shuddered.
3e 4C 14
7
זֹ֤רְמוּ מַ֨יִם ׀ עָב֗וֹת ק֭וֹל נָתְנ֣וּ שְׁחָקִ֑ים
אַף־חֲ֝צָצֶ֗יךָ יִתְהַלָּֽכוּ
18 C Thick clouds inundate waters, skies give voice.
Indeed your arrows walked about.

3e 4C 11
9
ק֤וֹל רַעַמְךָ֨ ׀ בַּגַּלְגַּ֗ל הֵאִ֣ירוּ בְרָקִ֣ים תֵּבֵ֑ל
רָגְזָ֖ה וַתִּרְעַ֣שׁ הָאָֽרֶץ
19 C The voice of your thunder in the whirlwind,
the lightnings lightened the world.
The earth shuddered and quaked.
3e 4C 15
8
בַּיָּ֤ם דַּרְכֶּ֗ךָ וּֽ֭שְׁבִֽילְךָ בְּמַ֣יִם רַבִּ֑ים
וְ֝עִקְּבוֹתֶ֗יךָ לֹ֣א נֹדָֽעוּ
20 In the sea is your way, and your wake in abundant waters,
and your footprints were not known.
3e 4C 12
9
נָחִ֣יתָ כַצֹּ֣אן עַמֶּ֑ךָ
בְּֽיַד־מֹשֶׁ֥ה וְאַהֲרֹֽן
21 You guided as a flock your people,
by the hand of Moses and Aaron.
3e 4B 8
8


No comments:

Post a Comment