Saturday 28 July 2018

Daniel 10

I make notes as I read and then I erase them because the problems I was encountering are over. Or at least I think so. Some notes I turn into html comments. But rarely. I think that conclusions about how we should behave are very difficult to say clearly. I am now even afraid of my questions. Those who actually might know won't say anything. And those who know nothing except a party line and who have not read the text will spout the line without thinking.

My old company (1968-1980) has a one word motto: Think. If only I had time...

The stem בין may be the preposition between, or the concept of discernment or understanding. I have varied this gloss. Even in my earliest days with the poetry of the psalms I allowed this variation though I was almost compulsive with insisting on the recognition of recurring words. Daniel is portrayed as understanding or discerning. I doubt that this is understanding to the point of full explanation. Such a desire trivializes the beauty of creation and the things we cannot know fully with words. So please don't read understanding in this way. We do have to use words with all their limitations. The Bible is not for pat answers, but for for instruction in the exercise of love and worship. And these are not rule-bound.

Some words can be varied without compromise. If a new word appears that I must gloss as shrewd then I would have to go back and remove shrewd as a gloss for all occurrences of חכם. Similarly if a new word occurred that I must use discern for, I would have to change all the occurrences of בין where I used discern.

On the other hand, there are different stems used in the domain of seeing in this chapter, vision, appearance, and gaze - note the possible variations elsewhere in this list. These stems have other glosses in other domains. I note in passing that I have used sight for more than one stem. I allow some exceptions for literary or idiomatic reasons.

חזה vision (44) gaze (43) visionary (16) torso (13) envision (4)
ראה see (505) saw (285) seen (155) appearance (93) appear (77) sees (50) show (58) stare (20) regard (15) seer (10) mirror (4) sight (3) vulture (2) apparition (1) charisma (1) saw fit (1) stared down (1)

I think we must read more of Daniel before we say we understand this. The experience of wrestling with this large historical puzzle has left me in Daniel's state a few times.

Daniel 10 Fn Min Max Syll
בִּשְׁנַ֣ת שָׁל֗וֹשׁ לְכ֙וֹרֶשׁ֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ פָּרַ֔ס דָּבָר֙ נִגְלָ֣ה לְדָֽנִיֵּ֔אל אֲשֶׁר־נִקְרָ֥א שְׁמ֖וֹ בֵּלְטְשַׁאצַּ֑ר
וֶאֱמֶ֤ת הַדָּבָר֙ וְצָבָ֣א גָד֔וֹל וּבִין֙ אֶת־הַדָּבָ֔ר וּבִ֥ינָה ל֖וֹ בַּמַּרְאֶֽה
1 In the year third of Cyrus, king of Persia, a word was disclosed to Daniel, whose name is called Belteshazzar,
and the word was true and a great host, and he understood the matter, and discerned for himself the appearance.
3e 4C 30
24
בַּיָּמִ֖ים הָהֵ֑ם
אֲנִ֤י דָֽנִיֵּאל֙ הָיִ֣יתִי מִתְאַבֵּ֔ל שְׁלֹשָׁ֥ה שָׁבֻעִ֖ים יָמִֽים
2 In those days,
I, Daniel, I was in lament three weeks of days.
3e 4C 5
20
לֶ֣חֶם חֲמֻד֞וֹת לֹ֣א אָכַ֗לְתִּי וּבָשָׂ֥ר וָיַ֛יִן לֹא־בָ֥א אֶל־פִּ֖י וְס֣וֹךְ לֹא־סָ֑כְתִּי
עַד־מְלֹ֕את שְׁלֹ֥שֶׁת שָׁבֻעִ֖ים יָמִֽים
3 B An attractive banquet I did not eat, and flesh and wine did not come to my mouth and I did not rub with makeup,
until three weeks of days were fulfilled.
3d 4B 22
11
וּבְי֛וֹם עֶשְׂרִ֥ים וְאַרְבָּעָ֖ה לַחֹ֣דֶשׁ הָרִאשׁ֑וֹן
וַאֲנִ֗י הָיִ֛יתִי עַ֣ל יַ֧ד הַנָּהָ֛ר הַגָּד֖וֹל ה֥וּא חִדָּֽקֶל
4 And on the twenty fourth day of the first month,
and I was on the dike of the great river (this is Hidkel),
3c 4B 14
18
וָאֶשָּׂ֤א אֶת־עֵינַי֙ וָאֵ֔רֶא וְהִנֵּ֥ה אִישׁ־אֶחָ֖ד לָב֣וּשׁ בַּדִּ֑ים
וּמָתְנָ֥יו חֲגֻרִ֖ים בְּכֶ֥תֶם אוּפָֽז
5 And I lifted up my eyes, and I saw, and behold, one man clothed in linen,
and his loins attired in the finest gold.
3e 4C 19
11
וּגְוִיָּת֣וֹ כְתַרְשִׁ֗ישׁ וּפָנָ֞יו כְּמַרְאֵ֤ה בָרָק֙ וְעֵינָיו֙ כְּלַפִּ֣ידֵי אֵ֔שׁ וּזְרֹֽעֹתָיו֙ וּמַרְגְּלֹתָ֔יו כְּעֵ֖ין נְחֹ֣שֶׁת קָלָ֑ל
וְק֥וֹל דְּבָרָ֖יו כְּק֥וֹל הָמֽוֹן
6 And his body was like beryl, and his face like the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as torches of fire, and his arms and his feet like the colour of burnished brass,
and the voice of his words like the voice of a tumult.
3e 4C 39
9
וְרָאִיתִי֩ אֲנִ֨י דָנִיֵּ֤אל לְבַדִּי֙ אֶת־הַמַּרְאָ֔ה וְהָאֲנָשִׁים֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר הָי֣וּ עִמִּ֔י לֹ֥א רָא֖וּ אֶת־הַמַּרְאָ֑ה
אֲבָ֗ל חֲרָדָ֤ה גְדֹלָה֙ נָפְלָ֣ה עֲלֵיהֶ֔ם וַֽיִּבְרְח֖וּ בְּהֵחָבֵֽא
7 And I saw, I, Daniel, alone, the appearance. And everyone that was with me did not see the appearance.
Lamentably, a great apprehension had fallen over them, and they ran to camouflage themselves.
3e 4C 35
21
וַאֲנִי֙ נִשְׁאַ֣רְתִּי לְבַדִּ֔י וָֽאֶרְאֶ֗ה אֶת־הַמַּרְאָ֤ה הַגְּדֹלָה֙ הַזֹּ֔את וְלֹ֥א נִשְׁאַר־בִּ֖י כֹּ֑ח
וְהוֹדִ֗י נֶהְפַּ֤ךְ עָלַי֙ לְמַשְׁחִ֔ית וְלֹ֥א עָצַ֖רְתִּי כֹּֽחַ
8 And I was bereft, alone, and I saw this great appearance, and no trace of power was in me,
and my splendour changed against me to destruction, and I contained no power.
3e 4C 27
17
וָאֶשְׁמַ֖ע אֶת־ק֣וֹל דְּבָרָ֑יו
וּכְשָׁמְעִי֙ אֶת־ק֣וֹל דְּבָרָ֔יו וַאֲנִ֗י הָיִ֛יתִי נִרְדָּ֥ם עַל־פָּנַ֖י וּפָנַ֥י אָֽרְצָה
9 And I heard the voice of his words.
And when I heard the voice of his words, then I, I became stupefied over my presence, and my face was earthward.
3d 4B 8
24
וְהִנֵּה־יָ֖ד נָ֣גְעָה בִּ֑י
וַתְּנִיעֵ֥נִי עַל־בִּרְכַּ֖י וְכַפּ֥וֹת יָדָֽי
10 And behold a hand touched me,
and made me waver to and fro to my knees and the palms of my hands.
3e 4B 7
12
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֡י דָּנִיֵּ֣אל אִישׁ־חֲ֠מֻדוֹת הָבֵ֨ן בַּדְּבָרִ֜ים אֲשֶׁר֩ אָנֹכִ֨י דֹבֵ֤ר אֵלֶ֙יךָ֙ וַעֲמֹ֣ד עַל־עָמְדֶ֔ךָ כִּ֥י עַתָּ֖ה שֻׁלַּ֣חְתִּי אֵלֶ֑יךָ
וּבְדַבְּר֥וֹ עִמִּ֛י אֶת־הַדָּבָ֥ר הַזֶּ֖ה עָמַ֥דְתִּי מַרְעִֽיד
11 And he said to me, Daniel, a man coveted, understand in the words that I speak to you, and stand up. Stand yourself, for now I am sent to you.
When he had spoken with me this word, I stood trembling.
3d 4C 44
16
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַי֮ אַל־תִּירָ֣א דָנִיֵּאל֒ כִּ֣י ׀ מִן־הַיּ֣וֹם הָרִאשׁ֗וֹן אֲשֶׁ֨ר נָתַ֧תָּ אֶֽת־לִבְּךָ֛ לְהָבִ֧ין וּלְהִתְעַנּ֛וֹת לִפְנֵ֥י אֱלֹהֶ֖יךָ נִשְׁמְע֣וּ דְבָרֶ֑יךָ
וַאֲנִי־בָ֖אתִי בִּדְבָרֶֽיךָ
12 And he said to me, Do not fear, Daniel, because from the first day that you gave your heart to understand, and to afflict yourself before your God, your words were heard.
And I myself have come through your words.
3c 4B 47
8
וְשַׂ֣ר ׀ מַלְכ֣וּת פָּרַ֗ס עֹמֵ֤ד לְנֶגְדִּי֙ עֶשְׂרִ֣ים וְאֶחָ֣ד י֔וֹם וְהִנֵּ֣ה מִֽיכָאֵ֗ל אַחַ֛ד הַשָּׂרִ֥ים הָרִאשֹׁנִ֖ים בָּ֣א לְעָזְרֵ֑נִי
וַאֲנִי֙ נוֹתַ֣רְתִּי שָׁ֔ם אֵ֖צֶל מַלְכֵ֥י פָרָֽס
13 And the chief of the kingdom of Persia stood in front of me twenty one days, and behold, Michael, one of the preeminent nobility came to help me,
and I myself remained there next to the sovereigns of Persia.
3d 4C 37
13
וּבָ֙אתִי֙ לַהֲבִ֣ינְךָ֔ אֵ֛ת אֲשֶׁר־יִקְרָ֥ה לְעַמְּךָ֖ בְּאַחֲרִ֣ית הַיָּמִ֑ים
כִּי־ע֥וֹד חָז֖וֹן לַיָּמִֽים
14 And I have come to make you discern what will befall your people in the aftermath of the days,
because the vision is yet for days.
3d 4B 22
7
וּבְדַבְּר֣וֹ עִמִּ֔י כַּדְּבָרִ֖ים הָאֵ֑לֶּה
נָתַ֧תִּי פָנַ֛י אַ֖רְצָה וְנֶאֱלָֽמְתִּי
15 And when he had spoken with me such words as these,
I yielded my face earthward and became dumb.
3c 4B 11
12
וְהִנֵּ֗ה כִּדְמוּת֙ בְּנֵ֣י אָדָ֔ם נֹגֵ֖עַ עַל־שְׂפָתָ֑י
וָאֶפְתַּח־פִּ֗י וָאֲדַבְּרָה֙ וָאֹֽמְרָה֙ אֶל־הָעֹמֵ֣ד לְנֶגְדִּ֔י אֲדֹנִ֗י בַּמַּרְאָה֙ נֶהֶפְכ֤וּ צִירַי֙ עָלַ֔י וְלֹ֥א עָצַ֖רְתִּי כֹּֽחַ
16 And behold, one akin to the children of humanity, touched on my lips.
And I opened my mouth, and I spoke, and I said to the one standing before me, My lord, in the appearance, spasms were changed over me, and I contained no power.
3e 4C 16
38
וְהֵ֣יךְ יוּכַ֗ל עֶ֤בֶד אֲדֹנִי֙ זֶ֔ה לְדַבֵּ֖ר עִם־אֲדֹ֣נִי זֶ֑ה
וַאֲנִ֤י מֵעַ֙תָּה֙ לֹֽא־יַעֲמָד־בִּ֣י כֹ֔חַ וּנְשָׁמָ֖ה לֹ֥א נִשְׁאֲרָה־בִֽי
17 For how can a servant of this my lord speak with this my lord?
And myself from now, power will not stand in me, and there is no trace of breath in me.
3e 4C 18
20
וַיֹּ֧סֶף וַיִּגַּע־בִּ֛י כְּמַרְאֵ֥ה אָדָ֖ם וַֽיְחַזְּקֵֽנִי 18 And again, then one touched me who appeared as a human, and he made me resolute. 3c 3g 16
וַיֹּ֜אמֶר אַל־תִּירָ֧א אִישׁ־חֲמֻד֛וֹת שָׁל֥וֹם לָ֖ךְ חֲזַ֣ק וַחֲזָ֑ק
וּֽבְדַבְּר֤וֹ עִמִּי֙ הִתְחַזַּ֔קְתִּי וָאֹֽמְרָ֛ה יְדַבֵּ֥ר אֲדֹנִ֖י כִּ֥י חִזַּקְתָּֽנִי
19 And he said, Do not fear, coveted man. Peace to you. Be resolute and be courageous.
And when he had spoken with me, I was encouraged and I said, Let my lord speak, for you make me resolute.
3c 4C 18
23
וַיֹּ֗אמֶר הֲיָדַ֙עְתָּ֙ לָמָּה־בָּ֣אתִי אֵלֶ֔יךָ וְעַתָּ֣ה אָשׁ֔וּב לְהִלָּחֵ֖ם עִם־שַׂ֣ר פָּרָ֑ס
וַאֲנִ֣י יוֹצֵ֔א וְהִנֵּ֥ה שַׂר־יָוָ֖ן בָּֽא
20 And he said, Do you know why I have come to you? And now, I will turn back to fight with the chief of Persia.
And I am going forth, and behold the chief of Greece is coming.
3e 4B 27
12
אֲבָל֙ אַגִּ֣יד לְךָ֔ אֶת־הָרָשׁ֥וּם בִּכְתָ֖ב אֱמֶ֑ת
וְאֵ֨ין אֶחָ֜ד מִתְחַזֵּ֤ק עִמִּי֙ עַל־אֵ֔לֶּה כִּ֥י אִם־מִיכָאֵ֖ל שַׂרְכֶֽם
21 Lamentably, I make clear to you even what is signified in the written truth,
but there is no one resolute with me over these things, except Michael your chief.
3e 4C 14
19


No comments:

Post a Comment