Wednesday 6 December 2017

Ezekiel 6

What to do with חלל, usually rendered by me as related to profane. JB just leaves the word out (rendered as men). KJV renders it frequently as slain. I have, true to my rules, not allowed slain, slew, since this for me and others is הרג. And in this case I have managed to keep separated the various stems around slaying, killing, dying. A dead body will render a person unclean and so unable to come before the holy places, i.e. profane (pro-fanus). Perhaps this is where profanity implies death. So bear it in mind that death is in view.

Scripture4all, a very useful site for a quick check of literal grammar, has wound for חלל, but I have מחץ for wound. Perhaps it is a symbolic wound or death allowing the one so afflicted still to know that 'I am Yahweh'. Unlikely in this historical case, but may be applied by analogy to the death of Jesus for those who use such power to escape from sin. Both the violence of the conquest (Joshua) and the violence of the exile (the later prophets) can be used by analogy in this way.

Wondering about idols etc, where is it that we find ourselves relaxing, the tension lessened, or the tension increased? If we are relaxed (because the market is going up), is this the 'restful fragrance' that the idol experiences? (The experiencing is in us of course since the idol, be it money or estate or work, has no feeling apart from us.)

The refrain '... will know that I am Yahweh' occurs 39 times in Ezekiel. The refrain is also in Exodus where it is Egypt who will know (5 times). Also once in Deuteronomy, twice in Joel. Leviticus has the statement 'for I am Yahweh your God' 22 times. The prophet reminds us of Torah. I searched for these manually using אני followed by יהוה as my search arguments. Then I searched within this for either אלוהם or a form of ידע. I may have missed a couple, but this emphasis in each of Leviticus and Ezekiel is definitely present. These are respectively among their favorite phrases and no other book uses them to the extent they do.

Verse 14 Riblah, not Diblah, i.e. from the south to the north of the land.
Ezekiel 6 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 1 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g 10
בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם שִׂ֥ים פָּנֶ֖יךָ אֶל־הָרֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
וְהִנָּבֵ֖א אֲלֵיהֶֽם
2 Child of humanity, set your face to the mountains of Israel,
and prophesy to them.
3e 4B 13
7
וְאָ֣מַרְתָּ֔ הָרֵי֙ יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל שִׁמְע֖וּ דְּבַר־אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
כֹּה־אָמַ֣ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְ֠הוִה לֶהָרִ֨ים וְלַגְּבָע֜וֹת לָאֲפִיקִ֣ים וְלַגֵּאָי֗וֹת הִנְנִ֨י אֲנִ֜י מֵבִ֤יא עֲלֵיכֶם֙ חֶ֔רֶב וְאִבַּדְתִּ֖י בָּמֽוֹתֵיכֶֽם
3 And you say, O mountains of Israel, hear the word of my Lord Yahweh.
Thus says my Lord Yahweh to the hills and to the hillocks, to the river channels and to the gorges, behold me, I am bringing against you a sword, and I will eliminate your high places.
3e 4C 18
43
וְנָשַׁ֙מּוּ֙ מִזְבְּח֣וֹתֵיכֶ֔ם וְנִשְׁבְּר֖וּ חַמָּֽנֵיכֶ֑ם
וְהִפַּלְתִּי֙ חַלְלֵיכֶ֔ם לִפְנֵ֖י גִּלּוּלֵיכֶֽם
4 And your altars will be desolate and your sun-pillars will be broken,
and I will make your profaned fall before your figurines.
3e 4B 17
13
וְנָתַתִּ֗י אֶת־פִּגְרֵי֙ בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל לִפְנֵ֖י גִּלּֽוּלֵיהֶ֑ם
וְזֵרִיתִי֙ אֶת־עַצְמ֣וֹתֵיכֶ֔ם סְבִיב֖וֹת מִזְבְּחוֹתֵיכֶֽם
5 And I will position the carcasses of the children of Israel before their figurines,
and I will sift your bones round about your altars.
3e 4B 18
17
בְּכֹל֙ מוֹשְׁב֣וֹתֵיכֶ֔ם הֶעָרִ֣ים תֶּחֱרַ֔בְנָה וְהַבָּמ֖וֹת תִּישָׁ֑מְנָה
לְמַעַן֩ יֶחֶרְב֨וּ וְיֶאְשְׁמ֜וּ מִזְבְּחֽוֹתֵיכֶ֗ם וְנִשְׁבְּר֤וּ וְנִשְׁבְּתוּ֙ גִּלּ֣וּלֵיכֶ֔ם וְנִגְדְּעוּ֙ חַמָּ֣נֵיכֶ֔ם וְנִמְח֖וּ מַעֲשֵׂיכֶֽם
6 In all your settlements, the cities will be deserted, and the high places will be a wasteland, so that your altars will be deserted and declared guilty, and your figurines be broken and eradicated,
and your sun-pillars be chopped off, and your constructions wiped out.
3e 4C 20
42
וְנָפַ֥ל חָלָ֖ל בְּתֽוֹכְכֶ֑ם
וִֽידַעְתֶּ֖ם כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
7 And profanity in your midst will fall,
and you will know that I am Yahweh.
3e 4A 8
7
וְהוֹתַרְתִּ֗י בִּהְי֥וֹת לָכֶ֛ם פְּלִ֥יטֵי חֶ֖רֶב בַּגּוֹיִ֑ם
בְּהִזָּרֽוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם בָּאֲרָצֽוֹת
8 But I will leave a remnant to become for you those secured from the sword among the nations,
when you are sifted among the lands.
3d 4A 16
10
וְזָכְר֨וּ פְלִֽיטֵיכֶ֜ם אוֹתִ֗י בַּגּוֹיִם֮ אֲשֶׁ֣ר נִשְׁבּוּ־שָׁם֒ אֲשֶׁ֨ר נִשְׁבַּ֜רְתִּי אֶת־לִבָּ֣ם הַזּוֹנֶ֗ה אֲשֶׁר־סָר֙ מֵֽעָלַ֔י וְאֵת֙ עֵֽינֵיהֶ֔ם הַזֹּנ֕וֹת אַחֲרֵ֖י גִּלּֽוּלֵיהֶ֑ם
וְנָקֹ֙טּוּ֙ בִּפְנֵיהֶ֔ם אֶל־הָֽרָעוֹת֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר עָשׂ֔וּ לְכֹ֖ל תּוֹעֲבֹתֵיהֶֽם
9 And those secured will remember me among the nations where they are captive, that I am shattered by their heart of harlotry that has turned aside from me, and their eyes of harlotry following their figurines.
They will be upset in their own presence at the evil that they have done for all their abominations.
3e 4B 49
22
וְיָדְע֖וּ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֑ה
לֹ֤א אֶל־חִנָּם֙ דִּבַּ֔רְתִּי לַעֲשׂ֥וֹת לָהֶ֖ם הָרָעָ֥ה הַזֹּֽאת
10 And they will know that I am Yahweh.
Not for nothing have I spoken to do to them this evil.
3e 4C 7
17
כֹּֽה־אָמַ֞ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הַכֵּ֨ה בְכַפְּךָ֜ וּרְקַ֤ע בְּרַגְלְךָ֙ וֶֽאֱמָר־אָ֔ח אֶ֛ל כָּל־תּוֹעֲב֥וֹת רָע֖וֹת בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
אֲשֶׁ֗ר בַּחֶ֛רֶב בָּרָעָ֥ב וּבַדֶּ֖בֶר יִפֹּֽלוּ
11 Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Strike with your palm and pummel with your foot, and say, Aye yai yai at all evil abominations of the house of Israel,
that by the sword, in scarcity, and by pestilence, they will fall.
3d 4C 34
15
הָרָח֞וֹק בַּדֶּ֣בֶר יָמ֗וּת וְהַקָּרוֹב֙ בַּחֶ֣רֶב יִפּ֔וֹל וְהַנִּשְׁאָר֙ וְהַנָּצ֔וּר בָּרָעָ֖ב יָמ֑וּת
וְכִלֵּיתִ֥י חֲמָתִ֖י בָּֽם
12 The distant by pestilence will die, and the near by the sword will fall, and the residue that is blockaded in scarcity will die,
and I will consume my heat in them.
3e 4B 30
8
וִֽידַעְתֶּם֙ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֔ה בִּֽהְי֣וֹת חַלְלֵיהֶ֗ם בְּתוֹךְ֙ גִּלּ֣וּלֵיהֶ֔ם סְבִיב֖וֹת מִזְבְּחֽוֹתֵיהֶ֑ם
אֶל֩ כָּל־גִּבְעָ֨ה רָמָ֜ה בְּכֹ֣ל ׀ רָאשֵׁ֣י הֶהָרִ֗ים וְתַ֨חַת כָּל־עֵ֤ץ רַֽעֲנָן֙ וְתַ֙חַת֙ כָּל־אֵלָ֣ה עֲבֻתָּ֔ה מְק֗וֹם אֲשֶׁ֤ר נָֽתְנוּ־שָׁם֙ רֵ֣יחַ נִיחֹ֔חַ לְכֹ֖ל גִּלּוּלֵיהֶֽם
13 And you will know that I am Yahweh, when their profaned are in the midst of their figurines surrounding their altars,
at every high hillock, by all the tops of the hills, and under every green tree, and under every gnarled oak, the place where they gave a restful fragrance to all their figurines.
3e 4C 26
48
וְנָטִ֤יתִי אֶת־יָדִי֙ עֲלֵיהֶ֔ם וְנָתַתִּ֨י אֶת־הָאָ֜רֶץ שְׁמָמָ֤ה וּמְשַׁמָּה֙ מִמִּדְבַּ֣ר דִּבְלָ֔תָה בְּכֹ֖ל מוֹשְׁבֽוֹתֵיהֶ֑ם
וְיָדְע֖וּ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
14 And I will stretch out my hand over them, and I will give the land to desolation upon desolation, from the wilderness to Riblah, in all their settlements,
and they will know that I am Yahweh.
3e 4C 36
7


No comments:

Post a Comment