Friday 1 December 2017

Isaiah 21

You know this one. The label watchman, need not change, since the root is שׁמר.
Abbey Road, October 1939 HMV C1324

Lots of questions here about what's going on. Imagery obscure, actors uncertain. Maybe will be clearer when more of Isaiah is done.

Isaiah 21 Fn Min Max Syll
מַשָּׂ֖א מִדְבַּר־יָ֑ם
כְּסוּפ֤וֹת בַּנֶּ֙גֶב֙ לַֽחֲלֹ֔ף מִמִּדְבָּ֣ר בָּ֔א מֵאֶ֖רֶץ נוֹרָאָֽה
1 A load about the wilderness of the sea.
As storm-winds in the south renew, from the wilderness one comes from a fearful land.
3e 4C 5
19
חָז֥וּת קָשָׁ֖ה הֻגַּד־לִ֑י
הַבּוֹגֵ֤ד ׀ בּוֹגֵד֙ וְהַשּׁוֹדֵ֣ד ׀ שׁוֹדֵ֔ד עֲלִ֤י עֵילָם֙ צוּרִ֣י מָדַ֔י כָּל־אַנְחָתָ֖ה הִשְׁבַּֽתִּי
2 A vision hard is made clear to me.
The treacherous is treacherous, and the devastator devastates. Go up, Elam. Lay siege, Media. All her sighing I have made to cease.
3e 4C 7
26
עַל־כֵּ֗ן מָלְא֤וּ מָתְנַי֙ חַלְחָלָ֔ה צִירִ֣ים אֲחָז֔וּנִי כְּצִירֵ֖י יֽוֹלֵדָ֑ה
נַעֲוֵ֣יתִי מִשְּׁמֹ֔עַ נִבְהַ֖לְתִּי מֵרְאֽוֹת
3 Therefore my loins are full of turmoil. Spasms have grasped me like the spasms of she who is to give birth.
I am wretched from hearing. I am vexed from seeing.
3e 4C 21
12
תָּעָ֣ה לְבָבִ֔י פַּלָּצ֖וּת בִּֽעֲתָ֑תְנִי
אֵ֚ת נֶ֣שֶׁף חִשְׁקִ֔י שָׂ֥ם לִ֖י לַחֲרָדָֽה
4 My heart wanders. Tremors alarm me.
The twilight of my attachments he sets to make me apprehensive.
3e 4C 12
11
עָרֹ֧ךְ הַשֻּׁלְחָ֛ן צָפֹ֥ה הַצָּפִ֖ית אָכ֣וֹל שָׁתֹ֑ה
ק֥וּמוּ הַשָּׂרִ֖ים מִשְׁח֥וּ מָגֵֽן
5 Arrange the table. Be on lookout in the lookouts. Eat. Imbibe.
Arise nobles. Anoint a shield.
3c 4B 14
9
כִּ֣י כֹ֥ה אָמַ֛ר אֵלַ֖י אֲדֹנָ֑י
לֵ֚ךְ הַעֲמֵ֣ד הַֽמְצַפֶּ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר יִרְאֶ֖ה יַגִּֽיד
6 B For thus says my Lord to me,
Go. Have the lookout stand. What he sees let him make clear.
3d 4C 9
13
וְרָ֣אָה רֶ֗כֶב צֶ֚מֶד פָּֽרָשִׁ֔ים רֶ֥כֶב חֲמ֖וֹר רֶ֣כֶב גָּמָ֑ל
וְהִקְשִׁ֥יב קֶ֖שֶׁב רַב־קָֽשֶׁב
7 If he sees a chariot, a pair of cavaliers, a rider on an ass, a rider on a camel,
let him pay attention very attentively.
3e 4C 18
8
וַיִּקְרָ֖א אַרְיֵ֑ה
עַל־מִצְפֶּ֣ה ׀ אֲדֹנָ֗י אָנֹכִ֞י עֹמֵ֤ד תָּמִיד֙ יוֹמָ֔ם וְעַל־מִ֨שְׁמַרְתִּ֔י אָנֹכִ֥י נִצָּ֖ב כָּל־הַלֵּילֽוֹת
8 And he called, A lion.
On a lookout, my master, I stood continually by day, and on my watch, I take a stand whole nights.
3e 4C 5
29
וְהִנֵּה־זֶ֥ה בָא֙ רֶ֣כֶב אִ֔ישׁ צֶ֖מֶד פָּֽרָשִׁ֑ים
וַיַּ֣עַן וַיֹּ֗אמֶר נָפְלָ֤ה נָֽפְלָה֙ בָּבֶ֔ל וְכָל־פְּסִילֵ֥י אֱלֹהֶ֖יהָ שִׁבַּ֥ר לָאָֽרֶץ
9 And behold, this one coming is a chariot of soldiers, a pair of cavaliers,
and he answered and said, Fallen, fallen is Babel, and all the graven images of her gods are shattered on the earth.
3e 4C 13
26
מְדֻשָׁתִ֖י וּבֶן־גָּרְנִ֑י
אֲשֶׁ֣ר שָׁמַ֗עְתִּי מֵאֵ֨ת יְהוָ֧ה צְבָא֛וֹת אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל הִגַּ֥דְתִּי לָכֶֽם
10 My pounding, and the child of my threshing-floor.
What I have heard from Yahweh of Hosts, the God of Israel, I announce to you.
3c 4B 8
23
מַשָּׂ֖א דּוּמָ֑ה
אֵלַי֙ קֹרֵ֣א מִשֵּׂעִ֔יר שֹׁמֵר֙ מַה־מִלַּ֔יְלָה שֹׁמֵ֖ר מַה־מִלֵּֽיל
11 A load about Dumah [Edom] to me.
He calls from Seir, Watchman, what of the night? Watchman, what of the night?
3e 4B 4
18
אָמַ֣ר שֹׁמֵ֔ר אָתָ֥ה בֹ֖קֶר וְגַם־לָ֑יְלָה
אִם־תִּבְעָי֥וּן בְּעָ֖יוּ שֻׁ֥בוּ אֵתָֽיוּ
12 The watchman said, The morning arrives and also the night.
If you will solicit, solicit, return, come here.
3e 4B 12
12
מַשָּׂ֖א בַּעְרָ֑ב
בַּיַּ֤עַר בַּעְרַב֙ תָּלִ֔ינוּ אֹֽרְח֖וֹת דְּדָנִֽים
13 A load about Arabia.
In the forest in Arabia you will lodge, caravans of Dedan.
3e 4C 4
13
לִקְרַ֥את צָמֵ֖א הֵתָ֣יוּ מָ֑יִם
יֹשְׁבֵי֙ אֶ֣רֶץ תֵּימָ֔א בְּלַחְמ֖וֹ קִדְּמ֥וּ נֹדֵֽד
14 To encounter thirst, they brought water.
The inhabitants of the land of Tema, with his bread, they forestalled the one who flees.
3e 4B 9
13
כִּֽי־מִפְּנֵ֥י חֲרָב֖וֹת נָדָ֑דוּ
מִפְּנֵ֣י ׀ חֶ֣רֶב נְטוּשָׁ֗ה וּמִפְּנֵי֙ קֶ֣שֶׁת דְּרוּכָ֔ה וּמִפְּנֵ֖י כֹּ֥בֶד מִלְחָמָֽה
15 For from the face of swords they fled.
From the face of the sword, abandoned, and from the face of the bow, trodden, and from the face of heavy war.
3e 4B 9
23
כִּי־כֹ֛ה אָמַ֥ר אֲדֹנָ֖י אֵלָ֑י
בְּע֤וֹד שָׁנָה֙ כִּשְׁנֵ֣י שָׂכִ֔יר וְכָלָ֖ה כָּל־כְּב֥וֹד קֵדָֽר
16 For thus says my Lord to me,
Within a year, as the years of a mercenary, all the glory of Qeidar will be finished.
3d 4C 9
16
וּשְׁאָ֧ר מִסְפַּר־קֶ֛שֶׁת גִּבּוֹרֵ֥י בְנֵֽי־קֵדָ֖ר יִמְעָ֑טוּ
כִּ֛י יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֵֽי־יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל דִּבֵּֽר
17 And the residue of the bow count, the valiant of the children of Qeidar, will be insignificant,
for Yahweh the God of Israel has spoken.
3c 4A 15
11


No comments:

Post a Comment