Wednesday 20 June 2018

Ezekiel 39

There is an ambivalent use of trust, confidence. Here in verse 6 and 26, the risk is over-confidence. In chapter 38, the risk is to take advantage of those who live in trust and therefore are defenseless.

Verse 7 is not passive voice for profane. Can God profane his own name?

Dress is use in the sense of shaping stone or wood. It appears the same dual use of dress is in both Hebrew and English. It saves my searching for another synonym for cutting.

Verse 18, Ezekiel's use of metaphor is explicit.

Ezekiel 39 Fn Min Max Syll
וְאַתָּ֤ה בֶן־אָדָם֙ הִנָּבֵ֣א עַל־גּ֔וֹג וְאָ֣מַרְתָּ֔ כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
הִנְנִ֤י אֵלֶ֙יךָ֙ גּ֔וֹג נְשִׂ֕יא רֹ֖אשׁ מֶ֥שֶׁךְ וְתֻבָֽל
1 And you child of humanity, prophesy over Gog, and say, Thus says my Lord Yahweh,
Behold me against you, Gog, principal preeminent of Charade and World.
3e 4C 23
14
וְשֹׁבַבְתִּ֙יךָ֙ וְשִׁשֵּׁאתִ֔יךָ וְהַעֲלִיתִ֖יךָ מִיַּרְכְּתֵ֣י צָפ֑וֹן
וַהֲבִאוֹתִ֖ךָ עַל־הָרֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
2 And I will turn you back, and I will steer you on, and I will bring you up from the flanks of the north,
and have you come against the mountains of Israel.
3e 4B 22
12
וְהִכֵּיתִ֥י קַשְׁתְּךָ֖ מִיַּ֣ד שְׂמֹאולֶ֑ךָ
וְחִצֶּ֕יךָ מִיַּ֥ד יְמִינְךָ֖ אַפִּֽיל
3 And I will strike your bow from your left hand,
and your arrows from your right hand, I will let fall.
3e 4B 13
11
עַל־הָרֵ֨י יִשְׂרָאֵ֜ל תִּפּ֗וֹל אַתָּה֙ וְכָל־אֲגַפֶּ֔יךָ וְעַמִּ֖ים אֲשֶׁ֣ר אִתָּ֑ךְ
לְעֵ֨יט צִפּ֧וֹר כָּל־כָּנָ֛ף וְחַיַּ֥ת הַשָּׂדֶ֖ה נְתַתִּ֥יךָ לְאָכְלָֽה
4 Against the mountains of Israel you will fall, you and all your legions, and peoples that are with you.
To the birds of prey, birds of every wing, and the living of the field, I have given you as food.
3c 4B 23
20
עַל־פְּנֵ֥י הַשָּׂדֶ֖ה תִּפּ֑וֹל
כִּ֚י אֲנִ֣י דִבַּ֔רְתִּי נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
5 On the surface of the field you will fall,
for I myself have spoken, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4C 8
13
וְשִׁלַּחְתִּי־אֵ֣שׁ בְּמָג֔וֹג וּבְיֹשְׁבֵ֥י הָאִיִּ֖ים לָבֶ֑טַח
וְיָדְע֖וּ כִּי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
6 And I will send fire on Magog and on the confident inhabitants of the islands,
and they will know that I am Yahweh.
3e 4B 17
7
וְאֶת־שֵׁ֨ם קָדְשִׁ֜י אוֹדִ֗יעַ בְּתוֹךְ֙ עַמִּ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל וְלֹֽא־אַחֵ֥ל אֶת־שֵׁם־קָדְשִׁ֖י ע֑וֹד
וְיָדְע֤וּ הַגּוֹיִם֙ כִּי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֔ה קָד֖וֹשׁ בְּיִשְׂרָאֵֽל
7 And my holy name I will make known in the midst of my people, Israel, and I will not profane my holy name any more,
and the nations will know that I am Yahweh, holy in Israel.
3e 4C 23
16
הִנֵּ֤ה בָאָה֙ וְנִֽהְיָ֔תָה נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
ה֥וּא הַיּ֖וֹם אֲשֶׁ֥ר דִּבַּֽרְתִּי
8 Behold, it is coming and it is, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
This is the day of which I have spoken.
3e 4C 15
8
וְֽיָצְא֞וּ יֹשְׁבֵ֣י ׀ עָרֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל וּבִעֲר֡וּ וְ֠הִשִּׂיקוּ בְּנֶ֨שֶׁק וּמָגֵ֤ן וְצִנָּה֙ בְּקֶ֣שֶׁת וּבְחִצִּ֔ים וּבְמַקֵּ֥ל יָ֖ד וּבְרֹ֑מַח
וּבִעֲר֥וּ בָהֶ֛ם אֵ֖שׁ שֶׁ֥בַע שָׁנִֽים
9 And the inhabitants of the cities of Israel will go forth and will kindle and ignite with both shield and grappling hook, with bow and with arrows, and with clubs and with lances,
and they will kindle fire with them seven years.
3d 4C 40
11
וְלֹֽא־יִשְׂא֨וּ עֵצִ֜ים מִן־הַשָּׂדֶ֗ה וְלֹ֤א יַחְטְבוּ֙ מִן־הַיְּעָרִ֔ים כִּ֥י בַנֶּ֖שֶׁק יְבַֽעֲרוּ־אֵ֑שׁ
וְשָׁלְל֣וּ אֶת־שֹׁלְלֵיהֶ֗ם וּבָֽזְזוּ֙ אֶת־בֹּ֣זְזֵיהֶ֔ם נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
10 And they will not take trees from the field, nor dress from the forests, for with the equipment, they will kindle fire.
And they will spoil their spoilers, and loot their looters, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4C 28
21
וְהָיָ֣ה בַיּ֣וֹם הַה֡וּא אֶתֵּ֣ן לְגוֹג֩ ׀ מְקֽוֹם־שָׁ֨ם קֶ֜בֶר בְּיִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל גֵּ֤י הָעֹֽבְרִים֙ קִדְמַ֣ת הַיָּ֔ם וְחֹסֶ֥מֶת הִ֖יא אֶת־הָעֹֽבְרִ֑ים
וְקָ֣בְרוּ שָׁ֗ם אֶת־גּוֹג֙ וְאֶת־כָּל־הֲמוֹנֹ֔ה וְקָ֣רְא֔וּ גֵּ֖יא הֲמ֥וֹן גּֽוֹג
11 And it will happen in that day, I will give to Gog a reputable place for a tomb in Israel, in the gorge of the passengers, east of the sea, and it will muzzle those who pass through.
And they will entomb there, Gog and all her tumult, and they will call the gorge, the tumult of Gog.
3e 4C 37
19
וּקְבָרוּם֙ בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל לְמַ֖עַן טַהֵ֣ר אֶת־הָאָ֑רֶץ
שִׁבְעָ֖ה חֳדָשִֽׁים
12 And the house of Israel will entomb them in order to clean the land,
seven months.
3e 4B 16
5
וְקָֽבְרוּ֙ כָּל־עַ֣ם הָאָ֔רֶץ וְהָיָ֥ה לָהֶ֖ם לְשֵׁ֑ם
י֚וֹם הִכָּ֣בְדִ֔י נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
13 And all the people of the land will entomb, and it will be for them for repute,
in the days of my glorification. An oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4C 15
11
וְאַנְשֵׁ֨י תָמִ֤יד יַבְדִּ֙ילוּ֙ עֹבְרִ֣ים בָּאָ֔רֶץ מְקַבְּרִ֣ים אֶת־הָעֹבְרִ֗ים אֶת־הַנּוֹתָרִ֛ים עַל־פְּנֵ֥י הָאָ֖רֶץ לְטַֽהֲרָ֑הּ
מִקְצֵ֥ה שִׁבְעָֽה־חֳדָשִׁ֖ים יַחְקֹֽרוּ
14 And they will continually differentiate persons to pass through the land, to entomb with the passengers those that remain upon the surface of the land, to clean her.
From the culmination of seven months, they will examine.
3d 4C 35
10
וְעָבְר֤וּ הָעֹֽבְרִים֙ בָּאָ֔רֶץ וְרָאָה֙ עֶ֣צֶם אָדָ֔ם וּבָנָ֥ה אֶצְל֖וֹ צִיּ֑וּן
עַ֣ד קָבְר֤וּ אֹתוֹ֙ הַֽמְקַבְּרִ֔ים אֶל־גֵּ֖יא הֲמ֥וֹן גּֽוֹג
15 And the passengers will pass through in the land, and will see a human bone and will build next to it, a title,
until those entombing can entomb it at the gorge of the tumult of Gog.
3e 4C 23
13
וְגַ֥ם שֶׁם־עִ֛יר הֲמוֹנָ֖ה וְטִהֲר֥וּ הָאָֽרֶץ 16 And also the name of the city will be Tumult, and they will cleanse the land. 3d 3g 14
וְאַתָּ֨ה בֶן־אָדָ֜ם כֹּֽה־אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהֹוִ֗ה אֱמֹר֩ לְצִפּ֨וֹר כָּל־כָּנָ֜ף וּלְכֹ֣ל ׀ חַיַּ֣ת הַשָּׂדֶ֗ה הִקָּבְצ֤וּ וָבֹ֙אוּ֙ הֵאָסְפ֣וּ מִסָּבִ֔יב עַל־זִבְחִ֗י אֲשֶׁ֨ר אֲנִ֜י זֹבֵ֤חַ לָכֶם֙ זֶ֣בַח גָּד֔וֹל עַ֖ל הָרֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
וַאֲכַלְתֶּ֥ם בָּשָׂ֖ר וּשְׁתִ֥יתֶם דָּֽם
17 And you, child of humanity, thus says my Lord Yahweh, Say to every winged bird and to all the living of the field, Collect yourselves and come. Gather yourselves on every side over my offerings that I am offering to you, a great offering against the mountains of Israel.
And you will eat flesh, and you will imbibe blood.
3e 4C 63
10
בְּשַׂ֤ר גִּבּוֹרִים֙ תֹּאכֵ֔לוּ וְדַם־נְשִׂיאֵ֥י הָאָ֖רֶץ תִּשְׁתּ֑וּ
אֵילִ֨ים כָּרִ֤ים וְעַתּוּדִים֙ פָּרִ֔ים מְרִיאֵ֥י בָשָׁ֖ן כֻּלָּֽם
18 The flesh of the valiant you will eat, and the blood of the principals of the land you will imbibe,
rams, butting lambs and goats, young bulls, fatlings of Bashan, all of them.
3e 4C 18
17
וַאֲכַלְתֶּם־חֵ֣לֶב לְשָׂבְעָ֔ה וּשְׁתִ֥יתֶם דָּ֖ם לְשִׁכָּר֑וֹן
מִזִּבְחִ֖י אֲשֶׁר־זָבַ֥חְתִּי לָכֶֽם
19 And you will eat gross fat to satiation, and you will imbibe blood to intoxication,
from my offering that I have offered for you.
3e 4B 17
10
וּשְׂבַעְתֶּ֤ם עַל־שֻׁלְחָנִי֙ ס֣וּס וָרֶ֔כֶב גִּבּ֖וֹר וְכָל־אִ֣ישׁ מִלְחָמָ֑ה
נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
20 And you will be satisfied at my table, horses and chariot, valour, and all warriors.
An oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4C 19
7
וְנָתַתִּ֥י אֶת־כְּבוֹדִ֖י בַּגּוֹיִ֑ם
וְרָא֣וּ כָל־הַגּוֹיִ֗ם אֶת־מִשְׁפָּטִי֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר עָשִׂ֔יתִי וְאֶת־יָדִ֖י אֲשֶׁר־שַׂ֥מְתִּי בָהֶֽם
21 And I will give my glory in the nations,
and all the nations will see my judgments that I have done, and my hand that I set on them.
3e 4B 11
26
וְיָֽדְעוּ֙ בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל כִּ֛י אֲנִ֥י יְהוָ֖ה אֱלֹֽהֵיהֶ֑ם
מִן־הַיּ֥וֹם הַה֖וּא וָהָֽלְאָה
22 And the house of Israel will know that I am Yahweh their God,
from that day and thereafter.
3d 4B 16
8
וְיָדְע֣וּ הַ֠גּוֹיִם כִּ֣י בַעֲוֺנָ֞ם גָּל֣וּ בֵֽית־יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל עַ֚ל אֲשֶׁ֣ר מָֽעֲלוּ־בִ֔י וָאַסְתִּ֥ר פָּנַ֖י מֵהֶ֑ם
וָֽאֶתְּנֵם֙ בְּיַ֣ד צָרֵיהֶ֔ם וַיִּפְּל֥וּ בַחֶ֖רֶב כֻּלָּֽם
23 And the nations will know that in their iniquity, the house of Israel was exiled, in that they trespassed against me, and I hid my face from them,
and I gave them into the hand of their adversaries, and they fell by the sword, all of them.
3e 4C 31
16
כְּטֻמְאָתָ֥ם וּכְפִשְׁעֵיהֶ֖ם עָשִׂ֣יתִי אֹתָ֑ם
וָאַסְתִּ֥ר פָּנַ֖י מֵהֶֽם
24 According to their uncleanness and according to their transgressions, I have dealt with them,
and I hid my face from them.
3e 4B 13
7
לָכֵ֗ן כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה עַתָּ֗ה אָשִׁיב֙ אֶת־שְׁב֣וּת יַֽעֲקֹ֔ב וְרִֽחַמְתִּ֖י כָּל־בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
וְקִנֵּאתִ֖י לְשֵׁ֥ם קָדְשִֽׁי
25 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, Now I will turn the captivity of Jacob, and I will have compassion on all the house of Israel,
and I will be jealous for my holy name.
3e 4C 29
8
וְנָשׂוּ֙ אֶת־כְּלִמָּתָ֔ם וְאֶת־כָּל־מַעֲלָ֖ם אֲשֶׁ֣ר מָעֲלוּ־בִ֑י
בְּשִׁבְתָּ֧ם עַל־אַדְמָתָ֛ם לָבֶ֖טַח וְאֵ֥ין מַחֲרִֽיד
26 So they have borne their humiliation, and all their trespasses that they trespassed against me,
when they inhabited on their ground confidently, and none was apprehensive.
3c 4B 20
15
בְּשׁוֹבְבִ֤י אוֹתָם֙ מִן־הָ֣עַמִּ֔ים וְקִבַּצְתִּ֣י אֹתָ֔ם מֵֽאַרְצ֖וֹת אֹֽיְבֵיהֶ֑ם
וְנִקְדַּ֣שְׁתִּי בָ֔ם לְעֵינֵ֖י הַגּוֹיִ֥ם רַבִּֽים
27 When I have returned them from the peoples, and have collected them from the lands of their enemies,
and have been sanctified in them in the sight of the many nations,
3e 4C 21
13
וְיָדְע֗וּ כִּ֣י אֲנִ֤י יְהוָה֙ אֱלֹ֣הֵיהֶ֔ם בְּהַגְלוֹתִ֤י אֹתָם֙ אֶל־הַגּוֹיִ֔ם וְכִנַּסְתִּ֖ים עַל־אַדְמָתָ֑ם
וְלֹֽא־אוֹתִ֥יר ע֛וֹד מֵהֶ֖ם שָֽׁם
28 And they will know that I am Yahweh their God, who exiled them to the nations, and have garnered them on their ground,
and have left none of them there any more.
3d 4C 30
7
וְלֹֽא־אַסְתִּ֥יר ע֛וֹד פָּנַ֖י מֵהֶ֑ם
אֲשֶׁ֨ר שָׁפַ֤כְתִּי אֶת־רוּחִי֙ עַל־בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
29 And I will not hide any more my face from them,
for I will pour out my spirit over the house of Israel, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3d 4C 9
20
Verses 9 and 10. The weapons are not all 'burned' at once, but are used for firewood, hence the use of kindle and ignite, as opposed to burn or incinerate. It is curious to me that this sense can be seen here since it was a bit of guesswork to separate out the multiple uses of verbs for fire that are not always distinguished in other readings. These are glosses, (and the number of times I have used them so far), related to fire and the other glosses for those stems (that may not be related to fire).

אוד agency (10) incendiary (3)
אזא added heat (1) add heat (1) additional heat (1)
אפר ash (18) ephratah (3) ephrathite (3)
אשׁ fire (341) offering fire (47) offerings fire (8) fiery (3) through fire (2)
בער kindle (59) shrive (8) brute (6) kine (6) brutish (5) browse (2) shriven (1) shrove (1) taberah (1)
גחל coal (13) burning coal (3)
גפר pitch (7)
דנג wax (4)
זלעפה ferocious (2) yang fire (1)
חרה burn (84) fierce (24) burning anger (8) ferocity (2) tunic (2) xirah (2) burn anger (1) burned anger (1) fierceness (1) glow (1)
חרר scorch (4) parch (3) whinny (1)
יצת char (20)
יקד burn (10) burning mass (10)
לבה glimmer (1)
להב flame (24) point (3) lehavim (2)
להט blaze (13)
נצץ sparkle (3) spark (1)
עשׁן smoke (31) ashan (2) fume (2) fume anger (1)
פוח snort (6) respire (3) blow (2) soot (2) respiration (1)
צרב sear (3)
קדח incandescent (4) delirium (1) red garnet (1)
קטר incense (60) burn smoke (37) burn incense (23) burnt incense (14) burned incense (11) burning smoke (10) burning incense (8) burned smoke (3) knot (3) vapour (2) fuse (1) incense altar (1) untranslated (1)
רשׁף fire-brand (7)
שׁביב flare (1) scintillate (1)
שׁפת ash-heap (2) hearth-stone (1) ordain (1) two hearth-stone (1)
שׂרף incinerate (100) incineration (14) cremate (4) incinerator (2) seraphim (2) saraf (1) seraph (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment