Saturday 3 February 2018

Ezekiel 37

Ezekiel 37 verses 1-14 is sung here according to this music. There are a few minor differences due to variations in accents. These are particularly the spurious silluqim - caused by the Unicode failure to distinguish silluq from metheg and the introduction of metheg for non-musical reasons in editions such as Letteris compared with the Aleppo/Leningrad codices. Also she is using mode 4 rather than the default mode 1.

Mode 1 here. Mode 4 below.



There were not too many surprises in this other than perhaps the extensive use of נתן where the gloss give is awkward. Also the use of spirit, or wind for רוח is tricky. Spirit, it seems to me, indwells all. I am sure some would like to make it a New Testament doctrine only. This is one of those chapters where David as king and shepherd arises. And where the rebuilding of the temple is envisioned. The metaphor of the single piece of wood I suspect has been applied to the cross.

Notice that it is sometimes the ground of Israel (אדם, adm, humanity) that is used rather than the land.

Ezekiel 37 Fn Min Max Syll
הָיְתָ֣ה עָלַי֮ יַד־יְהוָה֒ וַיּוֹצִאֵ֤נִי בְר֙וּחַ֙ יְהוָ֔ה וַיְנִיחֵ֖נִי בְּת֣וֹךְ הַבִּקְעָ֑ה
וְהִ֖יא מְלֵאָ֥ה עֲצָמֽוֹת
1 The hand of Yahweh was upon me and brought me out by the spirit of Yahweh, and had me rest in the midst of a crevasse.
And it was full of bones.
3e 4C 26
8
וְהֶעֱבִירַ֥נִי עֲלֵיהֶ֖ם סָבִ֣יב ׀ סָבִ֑יב
וְהִנֵּ֨ה רַבּ֤וֹת מְאֹד֙ עַל־פְּנֵ֣י הַבִּקְעָ֔ה וְהִנֵּ֖ה יְבֵשׁ֥וֹת מְאֹֽד
2 And it had me pass through over them round and round about,
and behold, very many on the surface of the crevasse, and behold, they were very dried up.
3e 4C 13
21
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֔י בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם הֲתִחְיֶ֖ינָה הָעֲצָמ֣וֹת הָאֵ֑לֶּה
וָאֹמַ֕ר אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִ֖ה אַתָּ֥ה יָדָֽעְתָּ
3 And he said to me, Child of humanity, will these bones live?
And I said, O Lord Yahweh, you, you know.
3e 4B 19
13
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֔י הִנָּבֵ֖א עַל־הָעֲצָמ֣וֹת הָאֵ֑לֶּה
וְאָמַרְתָּ֣ אֲלֵיהֶ֔ם הָעֲצָמוֹת֙ הַיְבֵשׁ֔וֹת שִׁמְע֖וּ דְּבַר־יְהוָֽה
4 And he said to me, Prophesy on these bones,
and you say to them, O bones, dried up, hear the word of Yahweh.
3e 4B 16
20
כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה לָעֲצָמ֖וֹת הָאֵ֑לֶּה
הִנֵּ֨ה אֲנִ֜י מֵבִ֥יא בָכֶ֛ם ר֖וּחַ וִחְיִיתֶֽם
5 C Thus says my Lord Yahweh to these bones,
Behold, I am making spirit enter into you, and you will live.
3d 4C 15
13
וְנָתַתִּי֩ עֲלֵיכֶ֨ם גִּדִ֜ים וְֽהַעֲלֵתִ֧י עֲלֵיכֶ֣ם בָּשָׂ֗ר וְקָרַמְתִּ֤י עֲלֵיכֶם֙ ע֔וֹר וְנָתַתִּ֥י בָכֶ֛ם ר֖וּחַ וִחְיִיתֶ֑ם
וִידַעְתֶּ֖ם כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
6 And I will give sinews against you, and I will bring up flesh against you, and I will layer skin against you, and I will give you spirit and you will live.
And you will know that I am Yahweh.
3c 4C 38
7
וְנִבֵּ֖אתִי כַּאֲשֶׁ֣ר צֻוֵּ֑יתִי
וַֽיְהִי־ק֤וֹל כְּהִנָּֽבְאִי֙ וְהִנֵּה־רַ֔עַשׁ וַתִּקְרְב֣וּ עֲצָמ֔וֹת עֶ֖צֶם אֶל־עַצְמֽוֹ
7 And I prophesied as I was commanded.
And there was rumbling as I prophesied, and behold quaking, and bones drew near, bone to its bone.
3e 4C 10
24
וְרָאִ֜יתִי וְהִנֵּֽה־עֲלֵיהֶ֤ם גִּדִים֙ וּבָשָׂ֣ר עָלָ֔ה וַיִּקְרַ֧ם עֲלֵיהֶ֛ם ע֖וֹר מִלְמָ֑עְלָה
וְר֖וּחַ אֵ֥ין בָּהֶֽם
8 And I saw and behold, against them sinews and flesh ascended, and layered over them skin by degrees,
but there was no spirit in them.
3c 4C 27
6
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֔י הִנָּבֵ֖א אֶל־הָר֑וּחַ
הִנָּבֵ֣א בֶן־אָ֠דָם וְאָמַרְתָּ֨ אֶל־הָר֜וּחַ כֹּֽה־אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה מֵאַרְבַּ֤ע רוּחוֹת֙ בֹּ֣אִי הָר֔וּחַ וּפְחִ֛י בַּהֲרוּגִ֥ים הָאֵ֖לֶּה וְיִֽחְיֽוּ
9 And he said to me, prophesy to the spirit.
Prophesy, child of humanity, and you say to the spirit, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, From the four winds, come, O spirit, and exhale on these slain and they will live.
3d 4C 12
44
וְהִנַּבֵּ֖אתִי כַּאֲשֶׁ֣ר צִוָּ֑נִי
וַתָּבוֹא֩ בָהֶ֨ם הָר֜וּחַ וַיִּֽחְי֗וּ וַיַּֽעַמְדוּ֙ עַל־רַגְלֵיהֶ֔ם חַ֖יִל גָּד֥וֹל מְאֹד־מְאֹֽד
10 And I prophesied as he commanded me.
And the spirit entered into them and they lived, and they stood on their feet, a very very great force.
3e 4B 11
27
וַיֹּאמֶר֮ אֵלַי֒ בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם הָעֲצָמ֣וֹת הָאֵ֔לֶּה כָּל־בֵּ֥ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל הֵ֑מָּה
הִנֵּ֣ה אֹמְרִ֗ים יָבְשׁ֧וּ עַצְמוֹתֵ֛ינוּ וְאָבְדָ֥ה תִקְוָתֵ֖נוּ נִגְזַ֥רְנוּ לָֽנוּ
11 And he said to me, Child of humanity, these bones, all the house of Israel they are.
Behold they are saying, Dried up are our bones and perished is our expectation. We are unconnected from ourselves.
3c 4B 22
22
לָכֵן֩ הִנָּבֵ֨א וְאָמַרְתָּ֜ אֲלֵיהֶ֗ם כֹּֽה־אָמַר֮ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִה֒ הִנֵּה֩ אֲנִ֨י פֹתֵ֜חַ אֶת־קִבְרֽוֹתֵיכֶ֗ם וְהַעֲלֵיתִ֥י אֶתְכֶ֛ם מִקִּבְרוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם עַמִּ֑י
וְהֵבֵאתִ֥י אֶתְכֶ֖ם אֶל־אַדְמַ֥ת יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
12 Therefore prophesy, and you say to them, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold I, I will open your tombs, and I will have you brought up from your tombs, my people,
and I will bring you to the ground of Israel.
3d 4B 46
12
וִֽידַעְתֶּ֖ם כִּֽי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֑ה
בְּפִתְחִ֣י אֶת־קִבְרֽוֹתֵיכֶ֗ם וּבְהַעֲלוֹתִ֥י אֶתְכֶ֛ם מִקִּבְרוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם עַמִּֽי
13 And you will know that I am Yahweh,
when I open your tombs, and when I bring you up from your tombs, my people.
3d 4B 7
22
וְנָתַתִּ֨י רוּחִ֤י בָכֶם֙ וִחְיִיתֶ֔ם וְהִנַּחְתִּ֥י אֶתְכֶ֖ם עַל־אַדְמַתְכֶ֑ם
וִידַעְתֶּ֞ם כִּי־אֲנִ֧י יְהוָ֛ה דִּבַּ֥רְתִּי וְעָשִׂ֖יתִי נְאֻם־יְהוָֽה
14 And I will give my spirit in you, and you will live, and I will allow you on your ground,
and you will know that I am Yahweh. I have spoken and I will act, an oracle of Yahweh.
3c 4C 21
18
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 15 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g 10
וְאַתָּ֣ה בֶן־אָדָ֗ם קַח־לְךָ֙ עֵ֣ץ אֶחָ֔ד וּכְתֹ֤ב עָלָיו֙ לִֽיהוּדָ֔ה וְלִבְנֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל חֲבֵרָ֑יו
וּלְקַח֙ עֵ֣ץ אֶחָ֔ד וּכְת֣וֹב עָלָ֗יו לְיוֹסֵף֙ עֵ֣ץ אֶפְרַ֔יִם וְכָל־בֵּ֥ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל חֲבֵרָֽיו
16 And you, child of humanity, take for yourself one piece of wood and write on it, To Judah and for the children of Israel, his companions.
and take another piece of wood and write on it, To Joseph, the wood of Ephraim, and all the house of Israel, his companions.
3e 4C 28
24
וְקָרַ֨ב אֹתָ֜ם אֶחָ֧ד אֶל־אֶחָ֛ד לְךָ֖ לְעֵ֣ץ אֶחָ֑ד
וְהָי֥וּ לַאֲחָדִ֖ים בְּיָדֶֽךָ
17 And bring them near one to the other to you as one piece of wood,
and they will become as one in your hand.
3c 4B 16
11
וְכַֽאֲשֶׁר֙ יֹאמְר֣וּ אֵלֶ֔יךָ בְּנֵ֥י עַמְּךָ֖ לֵאמֹ֑ר
הֲלֽוֹא־תַגִּ֥יד לָ֖נוּ מָה־אֵ֥לֶּה לָּֽךְ
18 And if the children of your people say to you, saying,
Will you not make clear to us what these are to you?
3e 4B 15
10
דַּבֵּ֣ר אֲלֵהֶ֗ם כֹּֽה־אָמַר֮ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִה֒ הִנֵּה֩ אֲנִ֨י לֹקֵ֜חַ אֶת־עֵ֤ץ יוֹסֵף֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר בְּיַד־אֶפְרַ֔יִם וְשִׁבְטֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל חֲבֵרָ֑יו
וְנָתַתִּי֩ אוֹתָ֨ם עָלָ֜יו אֶת־עֵ֣ץ יְהוּדָ֗ה וַֽעֲשִׂיתִם֙ לְעֵ֣ץ אֶחָ֔ד וְהָי֥וּ אֶחָ֖ד בְּיָדִֽי
19 Speak to them, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold, I will take the piece of wood of Joseph, that was by the hand of Ephraim, and the bands of Israel his companions,
and I will connect them up against the piece of wood of Judah, and I will make them as a single piece of wood, and they will be one in my hand.
3e 4C 39
29
וְהָי֨וּ הָעֵצִ֜ים אֲ‍ֽשֶׁר־תִּכְתֹּ֧ב עֲלֵיהֶ֛ם בְּיָדְךָ֖ לְעֵינֵיהֶֽם 20 And the pieces of wood that you wrote on will be in your hand for their eyes. 3c 3g 20
וְדַבֵּ֣ר אֲלֵיהֶ֗ם כֹּֽה־אָמַר֮ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִה֒ הִנֵּ֨ה אֲנִ֤י לֹקֵ֙חַ֙ אֶת־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל מִבֵּ֥ין הַגּוֹיִ֖ם אֲשֶׁ֣ר הָֽלְכוּ־שָׁ֑ם
וְקִבַּצְתִּ֤י אֹתָם֙ מִסָּבִ֔יב וְהֵבֵאתִ֥י אוֹתָ֖ם אֶל־אַדְמָתָֽם
21 Speak to them, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold, I will take the children of Israel from amid the nations where they have gone,
and I will collect them on every side, and I will bring them to their ground.
3e 4C 37
19
וְעָשִׂ֣יתִי אֹ֠תָם לְג֨וֹי אֶחָ֤ד בָּאָ֙רֶץ֙ בְּהָרֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל וּמֶ֧לֶךְ אֶחָ֛ד יִֽהְיֶ֥ה לְכֻלָּ֖ם לְמֶ֑לֶךְ
וְלֹ֤א יִֽהְיוּ־עוֹד֙ לִשְׁנֵ֣י גוֹיִ֔ם וְלֹ֨א יֵחָ֥צוּ ע֛וֹד לִשְׁתֵּ֥י מַמְלָכ֖וֹת עֽוֹד
22 And I will make them one nation in the land on the hills of Israel, and one king there will be, the king for them all,
and no more they will be two nations, and no more they will be halved further into two kingdoms.
3c 4C 33
21
וְלֹ֧א יִֽטַמְּא֣וּ ע֗וֹד בְּגִלּֽוּלֵיהֶם֙ וּבְשִׁקּ֣וּצֵיהֶ֔ם וּבְכֹ֖ל פִּשְׁעֵיהֶ֑ם
וְהוֹשַׁעְתִּ֣י אֹתָ֗ם מִכֹּ֤ל מוֹשְׁבֹֽתֵיהֶם֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר חָטְא֣וּ בָהֶ֔ם וְטִהַרְתִּ֤י אוֹתָם֙ וְהָיוּ־לִ֣י לְעָ֔ם וַאֲנִ֕י אֶהְיֶ֥ה לָהֶ֖ם לֵאלֹהִֽים
23 And they will not be unclean any more through their figurines or their detestable things or by all their transgressions,
and I will save them from all their settlements in which they have sinned, and I will cleanse them, and they will be my people, and I myself will become their God.
3c 4C 21
40
וְעַבְדִּ֤י דָוִד֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ עֲלֵיהֶ֔ם וְרוֹעֶ֥ה אֶחָ֖ד יִהְיֶ֣ה לְכֻלָּ֑ם
וּבְמִשְׁפָּטַ֣י יֵלֵ֔כוּ וְחֻקֹּתַ֥י יִשְׁמְר֖וּ וְעָשׂ֥וּ אוֹתָֽם
24 And my servant David, king over them, one shepherd there will be for them all,
and in my judgments they will walk, and my statutes they will keep, and do them.
3e 4C 20
19
וְיָשְׁב֣וּ עַל־הָאָ֗רֶץ אֲשֶׁ֤ר נָתַ֙תִּי֙ לְעַבְדִּ֣י לְיַֽעֲקֹ֔ב אֲשֶׁ֥ר יָֽשְׁבוּ־בָ֖הּ אֲבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֑ם
וְיָשְׁב֣וּ עָלֶ֡יהָ הֵ֠מָּה וּבְנֵיהֶ֞ם וּבְנֵ֤י בְנֵיהֶם֙ עַד־עוֹלָ֔ם וְדָוִ֣ד עַבְדִּ֔י נָשִׂ֥יא לָהֶ֖ם לְעוֹלָֽם
25 And they will settle on the land that I have given to my servant, to Jacob, where your ancestors had settled,
and they will settle on it, they and their children, and the children of their children, for evermore, and David my servant, their principal forever.
3e 4C 28
31
וְכָרַתִּ֤י לָהֶם֙ בְּרִ֣ית שָׁל֔וֹם בְּרִ֥ית עוֹלָ֖ם יִהְיֶ֣ה אוֹתָ֑ם
וּנְתַתִּים֙ וְהִרְבֵּיתִ֣י אוֹתָ֔ם וְנָתַתִּ֧י אֶת־מִקְדָּשִׁ֛י בְּתוֹכָ֖ם לְעוֹלָֽם
26 And I will cut for them a covenant of peace, a covenant everlasting it will be with them,
and I will position them and I will increase them, and I will permit my sanctuary among them forever.
3c 4C 18
23
וְהָיָ֤ה מִשְׁכָּנִי֙ עֲלֵיהֶ֔ם וְהָיִ֥יתִי לָהֶ֖ם לֵֽאלֹהִ֑ים
וְהֵ֖מָּה יִֽהְיוּ־לִ֥י לְעָֽם
27 And my dwelling-place will be over them, and I will be their God,
and they, they will be my people.
3e 4C 18
8
וְיָֽדְעוּ֙ הַגּוֹיִ֔ם כִּ֚י אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֔ה מְקַדֵּ֖שׁ אֶת־יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
בִּהְי֧וֹת מִקְדָּשִׁ֛י בְּתוֹכָ֖ם לְעוֹלָֽם
28 And the nations will know that I, Yahweh, sanctify Israel,
when my sanctuary is among them forever.
3c 4C 18
11
These are my glosses for נתן: assign (63) chant (2) connect (7) consign (43) daub (21) demonstrate (5) donation (1) gave (271) gave permission (1) give (602) give here (1) give up (2) given (197) giving due (1) grant (7) let (1) Nathan (30) net (1) permit (45) play (1) position (58) prevent (3) put forth (6) refrain give (1) responsible (1) take (2) tighten (2) untranslated (2) yield (31).
Some of these may bear further investigation. Eventually I might loosen my grip entirely!

No comments:

Post a Comment