Saturday, 25 June 2011

Psalm 119 compared to psalm 1

I guess you wouldn't be surprised if you heard that psalm 119 used 68% of the words of psalm 1 (28 shared stems multiply used from the 67 words of psalm 1).

It wouldn't strain credulity either to say that psalm 119 uses 61% of the words of psalm 19 (61 shared stems multiply used from the 126 words of psalm 19).

Words in psalm 119 (1064) in the order of word usage in psalm 1 (67) - showing parts 1 and 2 only

Word and gloss * first usage123456789101234567892012345678VsStem
אשׁרי all joy for
░
1אשׁר
דרך the way
░
1דרך
ההלכים who walk
░
1הלך
בתורת in the teaching of
░
1תורה
אשׁרי all joy for
░
2אשׁר
עדתיו his testimonies
░
2עדה
בכל with a whole
░
2כל
לא not
░
3לא
בדרכיו in his ways
░
3דרך
הלכו they walk
░
3הלך
דרכי my ways
░
5דרך
לא not
░
6לא
כל all
░
6כל
משׁפטי the judgments of
░
7שׁפט
בכל by all
░
10כל
לא not
░
11לא
אחטא I may sin
░
11חטא
כל all
░
13כל
משׁפטי the judgments of
░
13שׁפט
בדרך by the way of
░
14דרך
עדותיך your testimonies
░
14עדה
כל all
░
14כל
לא nor
░
16לא

I dared to look at glosses around joy, rejoicing, shouting, (again), and soul, life etc yesterday. I changed another 100 psalms a word here and a word there. There must be a time when I will think about the wholes within the whole... What does this collection of poetry signify as a datum of history?

One unique word I eventually rendered as revel - it occurs only in psalms 94 and 119. Your commandments testimonies etc are my revel. (Not chocolate) or I revel in them.
וְתוֹרָתְךָ שַׁעֲשֻׁעָי


No comments:

Post a Comment