Friday, 3 June 2011

Is there an overall inclusio in Psalm 119

Psalm 119's recurrence structure is presented here with up to 4 or five segments (32 to 40 verses) at a time.

How can one get one's mind around this long psalm with its 8 synonyms for engagement with love: תורה Torah Teaching, אמר amr Promise, שׁפט shapat Judge, עד ed Counsel, דבר debar Word, צוה tseva Command, חק xoq Statute, פקד paqad Precept.  Only 6 of these occur in part 1. So when looking at the overall frame for the psalm, the missing word and promise would not appear.

From the point of view of structural wholeness, the analysis of parts 1 and 22 is not promising.  The extended meditation is a different shape. Analysis of words that occur only twice in the psalm is may be revealing. To prevent a word from repeating in a long poem is itself a challenge. There are 42 words that recur exactly twice. Of these complete almost divides the poem in half.  Lips almost provides a frame for the whole. But I wonder if the best candidates are those words that occur 7 times. Salvation occurs entirely in the second half of the poem.  The other three are split between the first and second half. Two of them have their fourth occurrence in verse 88 - the central verse.

If these are significant rather than accidental features of the poem, what technique did the poet use to write and achieve such a result?

Words occurring 7 times in psalm 119
Word and gloss * first usage1234
VsStem
אתה And you
░
4אתה
אתה you
░
12אתה
פיך your mouth
░
13פה
חסדך your steadfast love
░
41חסד
מפי from my mouth
░
43פה
חסדך covenant mercy yours
░
64חסד
אתה you
░
68אתה
פיך your mouth
░
72פה
חסדך your steadfast mercy
░
76חסד
כחסדך for your loving kindness
░
88חסד
פיך your mouth
░
88פה
הושׁיעני save me
░
94ישׁע
אתה you yourself
░
102אתה
לפי to my mouth
░
103פה
פי my mouth
░
108פה
אתה are you
░
114אתה
ואושׁעה and I will be saved
░
117ישׁע
לישׁועתך for your salvation
░
123ישׁע
כחסדך according to your mercy
░
124חסד
פי my mouth
░
131פה
אתה you are
░
137אתה
הושׁיעני save me
░
146ישׁע
כחסדך for your loving kindness
░
149חסד
אתה you
░
151אתה
ישׁועה is salvation
░
155ישׁע
כחסדך according to your loving kindness
░
159חסד
לישׁועתך your salvation
░
166ישׁע
לישׁועתך to your salvation
░
174ישׁע

Words occurring twice only in psalm 119
Word and gloss * first usage12345678910123456789201234567893012345678940VsStem
תמימי those who are complete in
░
1תמם
אז And then
░
6אז
אודך and I will praise you
░
7ידה
בשׂפתי by my lips
░
13שׂפה
ספרתי I have declared
░
13ספר
גל give sight to
░
18גל
גר guest
░
19גור
תסתר hide
░
19סתר
עת times
░
20עת
גל get
░
22גל
גם great
░
23גם
שׂרים princes
░
23שׂר
בי against me
░
23בי
גם Grand
░
24גם
* דבקה cleaved
░
25דבק
ספרתי declared I have
░
26ספר
בחרתי deliberated have I
░
30בחר
* דבקתי determined I cleave
░
31דבק
הורני help me learn
░
33ירה
עקב with foot firmly planted
░
33עקב
* בנתיב in the pathway of
░
35נתב
העבר hide
░
37עבר
העבר hide
░
39עבר
תצל remove
░
43נצל
* ברחבה in maturity
░
45רחב
נגד before
░
46נגד
* כפי my hands
░
48כף
זאת Yes - this word
░
50זאת
מגורי I am guest
░
54גור
בלילה in the night
░
55לילה
שׁמך your name
░
55שׁם
זאת you
░
56זאת
ואשׁיבה and turned
░
59שׁוב
התמהמהתי I would delay
░
60המה
לילה night
░
62לילה
להודות to give thanks
░
62ידה
עם with
░
65עם
* זהב gold
░
72זהב
ידיך your hands
░
73יד
נא I pray
░
76נא
רחמיך your tender love
░
77רחם
ישׁובו turn
░
79שׁוב
תמים be complete
░
80תמם
מתי when
░
82מתי
מתי when
░
84מתי
לדר from generation
░
90דור
ודר to generation is
░
90דור
ותעמד and she stands
░
90עמד
עמדו lo they stand
░
91עמד
אז then
░
92אז
* רחבה wide
░
96רחב
הורתני have taught me
░
102ירה
* לנתיבתי to my pathway
░
105נתב
נשׁבעתי now I have sworn
░
106שׁבע
נא please
░
108נא
* בכפי in my hand
░
109כף
תעיתי I did depart
░
110תעה
המה they are
░
111המה
עקב with foot firmly planted
░
112עקב
סתרי secret mine
░
114סתר
* משׂברי my hope
░
116שׂבר
מפחדך from your dread
░
120פחד
עם with
░
124עם
עת it is time
░
126עת
* מזהב above gold
░
127זהב
שׁמך your name
░
132שׁם
בי over me
░
133בי
קראתי queried I
░
145קרא
קראתיך queried I you
░
146קרא
רחקו they are far
149רחק
ריבה reason
154ריב
ריבי my reason
154ריב
רחוק remote
155רחק
רחמיך your mercies
░
156רחם
שׂרים sultans
░
161שׂר
פחד stands in dread
░
161פחד
שׁבע seven times
░
164שׁבע
* שׂברתי my hope in
░
166שׂבר
נגדך are before you
░
168נגד
הצילני deliver me
░
169נצל
שׂפתי my lips
░
171שׂפה
ידך your hand
░
173יד
בחרתי I have chosen
░
173בחר
תעיתי time and again I depart
░
176תעה

Here is the recurrence structure for aleph and taf. I have removed the colours in rows that are only in one of parts 1 and 22.  There remain 13 words that repeat in both of these two parts.
Word and gloss * first usage123456789101234567892012VsStem
אשׁרי all joy for
░1אשׁר
דרך the way
░
1דרך
ההלכים who walk
░1הלך
בתורת in the teaching of
░
1תורה
אשׁרי all joy for
░2אשׁר
עדתיו his testimonies
░
2עדה
בכל with a whole
░
2כל
לא not
░
3לא
בדרכיו in his ways
░
3דרך
הלכו they walk
░3הלך
צויתה commanded
░
4צוה
פקדיך your precepts
░
4פקד
לשׁמר to keep
░
4שׁמר
מאד in full
░
4מאד
דרכי my ways
░
5דרך
לשׁמר to keep
░
5שׁמר
חקיך your statutes
░
5חק
לא not
░
6לא
כל all
░
6כל
מצותיך your commandments
░
6צוה
בלמדי when I learn
░
7למד
משׁפטי the judgments of
░
7שׁפט
צדקך your righteousness
░
7צדק
חקיך your statutes
░
8חק
אשׁמר I will keep
░
8שׁמר
מאד full
░
8מאד
לאהבי to those loving
░165אהב
תורתך your teaching
░
165תורה
לישׁועתך your salvation
░166ישׁע
ומצותיך and your commandments
░
166צוה
שׁמרה savors
░
167שׁמר
נפשׁי my being
░167נפשׁ
עדתיך your testimonies
░
167עדה
ואהבם and I love them
░167אהב
מאד greatly
░
167מאד
שׁמרתי so I keep
░
168שׁמר
פקודיך your precepts
░
168פקד
ועדתיך and your testimonies
░
168עדה
כל all
░
168כל
דרכי my ways
░
168דרך
לפניך to your presence
░169פנה
לפניך to your presence
░169פנה
כאמרתך in your promise
░169אמר
תהלה with praise
░171הלל
תלמדני you have taught me
░
171למד
חקיך your statutes
░
171חק
אמרתך your promise
░172אמר
כל all
░
172כל
מצותיך your commandments
░
172צוה
צדק are righteous
░
172צדק
לעזרני to help me
░173עזר
פקודיך your precepts
░
173פקד
לישׁועתך to your salvation
░174ישׁע
ותורתך and your teaching
░
174תורה
נפשׁי my being
░
175נפשׁ
ותהללך and it will praise you
░175הלל
ומשׁפטך and from your judgments
░
175שׁפט
יעזרני you will help me
░175עזר
מצותיך your commandments
░
176צוה
לא not
░
176לא


No comments:

Post a Comment