Wednesday 7 November 2018

Final status report

As of a few hours ago, I translated the last verse in my data. The draft is now 100% completed. Now the process of analysis can begin in earnest.

Here are some of the questions I might like to ask of the data.
  1. What pairs of letters define a class of stems?
  2. What artificial hapaxes have I created in the English that should be reviewed or questioned?
  3. What word forms occur for each stem and are they consistently approached? There is an explosion of data here and it is difficult to control.
  4. What would be reasonable assignments of semantic domain for me? [such assignments are subjective but they may help clarify translation decisions - see below]
  5. What theology arises from my decisions? What does God do? What does God demand?
  6. Can I produce a useful complete glossary?
  7. Are some of my later decisions applicable to sections I have translated earlier in the project?
  8. How does my glossary compare with others?
  9. What and where are the mistakes I haven't found yet?
  10. Does language really behave this way?
All the chapters will have been posted by November 14.
Bob's Bible, posts by calendar quarter
What do I have now?
  1. a full glossary by stem with many of the stems already reduced to their derived stems so that the language can be analysed by word form and usage. All links are here.
  2. a complete translation of the Leningrad codex with a few changes - some reread words and at least one missing verse added from DSS.
  3. a record of how difficult this is.
  4. a way of controlling the text and asking questions of it. The methods are applicable to any translation project. The app could be customized. E.g. I have tested it with Arabic and Greek. All one needs is the data in Unicode format.
  5. the full musical score in Hebrew for all the chapters based on the key of Suzanne Haïk-Vantoura.
Will anyone help? The last words I translated were the last verse of Daniel 11. Applied to me, it reads: And he will come to his end and there is no help for him.

Here's where my semantic domains stand (without fixing everything - a longish process). 
DOMAINPCT
CREATION15.67
CULTURE20.24
ENGAGEMENT12.73
GRAMMAR24.82
NAMES12.56
PROMISE8.65
TROUBLE5.33
I can drill down on everything and adjust all the pieces including the stems. So here is creation:
Bob's Bible: creation domain as of Nov 2018

And here are all the animals (and this excludes the winged ones):




No comments:

Post a Comment