Monday 25 December 2023

#Moses, #Psalmtweet Deuteronomy 32:40-43

Merry Christmas. It is suitable for the Song of Moses to be confirmed by the celebration of the Incarnation. Jesus did not take vengeance but gave his life for the life of the world. It is not a matter of believing some theological or cosmological framework, it's a matter of how we act - whether in defense or in deliberate provocation, that we act for the good of the other. We have this present moment and as the prophet reminds us, God is with us. 'With' implies temporal continuity and presence.
Deuteronomy 32:40-43

The last verses of the song of Moses. I could sometimes retain more of the Hebrew word order. How would you underlay English lyrics to Hebrew pulse and word order? The dramatic force of the Hebrew is often reduced in translation. 

כִּֽי־אֶשָּׂ֥א אֶל־שָׁמַ֖יִם יָדִ֑י
וְאָמַ֕רְתִּי חַ֥י אָנֹכִ֖י לְעֹלָֽם ר
40 For I lift up to the heavens my hand,
then I say, I am life forever.
m ci-awa al-wmiim idi
vamrti ki anoci lyolm r
7
12
ci a/wa al wmim id\i
v/amr\ti ki anci l/ylm
אִם־שַׁנּוֹתִי֙ בְּרַ֣ק חַרְבִּ֔י וְתֹאחֵ֥ז בְּמִשְׁפָּ֖ט יָדִ֑י
אָשִׁ֤יב נָקָם֙ לְצָרָ֔י וְלִמְשַׂנְאַ֖י אֲשַׁלֵּֽם ר
41 If I whet my glittering sword and my hand hold fast in the judgment,
I will return vengeance to my foes, and those that hate me I will repay.
ma am-wnoti brq krbi vtakz bmwp't idi
awib nqm lxrii vlmwnaii awlm r
16
15
am wn\vti brq krb\i vt/akz bm/wp't id\i
a/wb nqm l/xr\i vlm/wna\i a/wlm
אַשְׁכִּ֤יר חִצַּי֙ מִדָּ֔ם וְחַרְבִּ֖י תֹּאכַ֣ל בָּשָׂ֑ר
מִדַּ֤ם חָלָל֙ וְשִׁבְיָ֔ה מֵרֹ֖אשׁ פַּרְע֥וֹת אוֹיֵֽב ר
42 I will make my arrows drunk with blood and my sword will devour flesh,
from the blood of one who is profaned, and captives from the head of the premiers of the enemy.
mb awcir kixii mdm vkrbi tacl bwr
mdm kll vwbih mraw pryot aoib r
13
14
a/wcr kx\i m/dm v/krb\i t/acl bwr
m/dm kll v/wbh m/raw pry\vt ab
הַרְנִ֤ינוּ גוֹיִם֙ עַמּ֔וֹ כִּ֥י דַם־עֲבָדָ֖יו יִקּ֑וֹם
וְנָקָם֙ יָשִׁ֣יב לְצָרָ֔יו וְכִפֶּ֥ר אַדְמָת֖וֹ עַמּֽוֹ ש
43 Shout for joy, nations, his people, for the blood of his servants he will avenge,
and vengeance he will return to his foes, but he will cover over his own ground, his people.
mg hrninu goiim ymo ci dm-ybdiv iiqom
vnqm iwib lxriv vcipr admto ymo w
14
17
h/rnn\v gvi\m ym\v ci dm ybd\iv i/qvm
v/nqm i/wb l/xr\iv v/cpr adm\tv ym\v

The theme of vengeance is complete. I asked ChatGPT to comment - the answer is very clear.

Me

Here's another question. In the Song of Moses, God definitively allows himself to take vengeance. Where else in the Hebrew Scripture and the New Testament does this recur? Does this say to the human. It is my prerogative to take vengeance, so you must not.

ChatGPT

The Song of Moses in Deuteronomy 32 indeed contains verses where God asserts His right to take vengeance. This concept of divine vengeance appears in various other passages in both the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament. Throughout these texts, there's often an underlying message that humans should leave vengeance to God rather than seeking it themselves.

Hebrew Scriptures:

Proverbs 20:22: "Do not say, 'I will repay evil'; wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you." This verse encourages individuals not to seek personal revenge but rather to trust in God's justice.

Proverbs 24:29: "Do not say, 'I will do to him as he has done to me; I will pay the man back for what he has done.'" This verse advises against repaying evil for evil.

Psalm 94:1: The psalmist calls upon God as the avenger of the righteous: "O Lord, God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, shine forth!"

New Testament:

Romans 12:19: The Apostle Paul, writing to the Romans, quotes from the Hebrew Scriptures, stating, "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.'" This echoes the idea that seeking personal vengeance is not the responsibility of humans but is reserved for God.

Hebrews 10:30: In this passage, the author refers to God as the one who will judge and avenge: "For we know him who said, 'Vengeance is mine; I will repay.' And again, 'The Lord will judge his people.'"

In both the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament, there's a recurring theme that vengeance ultimately belongs to God. Human beings are encouraged to refrain from seeking retribution and to trust in God's justice and timing for judgment. This aligns with the notion that God's judgments are righteous and just, and humans should avoid taking matters of vengeance into their own hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment