Friday 15 December 2023

#Moses, #Psalmtweet Deuteronomy 32:13-15

Many of the lines of Deuteronomy are longer (12 to 24 syllables) than poetic lines. But typical short poetic lines (6 to 9 syllables) occur in the text and can be heard in the music. Look at verses 3, 5, 9, 12, 16, 18, 19, 23, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, 34, 37, 40. This is a structural aspect of the poem and its song (full text and music here).

Deuteronomy 32:13-15

It's slightly odd to see the high places in a positive note. This is the land of milk and honey. In the psalms, 81 has a parallel. I would feed them from the choicest wheat, and from the honeyed rock I would satisfy you. Choisest klb is a homonym with milk.

But in this prose poem, as in Psalms 14 and 53, senseless is still characteristic of the human under glass. The record is important for us all for our learning, as is noted somewhere. How will we learn? I am old enough now to know how hard it is to learn. I wonder if I should chose the gloss blindfolded for bar 114 covered? It is a gloss I have used elsewhere for csh.



No comments:

Post a Comment