Sunday 24 December 2023

#Moses, #Psalmtweet Deuteronomy 32:37-39

Deuteronomy 32:37-39
Impossible, I suppose for the human to apply this irony to a political situation. Face-saving and excessive defensiveness are somehow precluded - but we have to die to them to live. By what shrewdness can we keep ourselves alive?

The shoe can be on anyone's foot. Here God is asking where is their rock. Psalm 42 asks repeatedly of those in exile - Where is your God? Similarly Psalm 79 and 115.

Does God really eat sacrifices? Psalm 50 denies this superstition and matches the common usage of eat and imbibe. Again, there is irony in the passage.

A different approach to violence is seen in Psalm 109:25-28 preparing for the wound that we will note in Psalm 110. 

וַאֲנִ֤י ׀ הָיִ֣יתִי חֶרְפָּ֣ה לָהֶ֑ם
יִ֝רְא֗וּנִי יְנִיע֥וּן רֹאשָֽׁם
25 And I, I have become a reproach to them.
They stare at me. They wag their heads.

ch vani hiiti krph lhm
irauni iniyun rawm
10
8
v/ani h/i\iti krp\h l/hm
i/ra\vni i/niy\vn raw\m
עָ֭זְרֵנִי יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהָ֑י
ה֭וֹשִׁיעֵ֣נִי כְחַסְדֶּֽךָ
26 ♪g Help me Yahweh my God.
Save me according to your mercy.
cv yozrni ihvh alohii
howiyni cksdç
8
8
yzr\ni ihvh alh\i
hv/w\iyni c/ksd\c
וְֽ֭יֵדְעוּ כִּי־יָ֣דְךָ זֹּ֑את
אַתָּ֖ה יְהוָ֣ה עֲשִׂיתָֽהּ
27 ♪g And they will know that this is your hand.
You, Yahweh, have done it.
cz viidyu ci-idç zat
ath ihvh ywith
7
7
v/idy\v ci id\c zat
ath ihvh yw\ith
יְקַֽלְלוּ־הֵמָּה֮ וְאַתָּ֪ה תְבָ֫רֵ֥ךְ
קָ֤מוּ ׀ וַיֵּבֹ֗שׁוּ וְֽעַבְדְּךָ֥ יִשְׂמָֽח
28 Let them deny but you, you will bless.
They will arise. Let them be ashamed, but let your servant be glad.
ck iqllu-hmh vath tbrç
qmu vibowu vybdç iwmk
10
12
i/qll\v hm\h v/ath t/brc
qm\v vi/bw\v v/ybd\c i/wmk

This passage uses several words from Deuteronomy 38-39 (below). For Deuteronomy 32:39 and the psalms, check out the answer that ChatGPT suggested. The bot works conceptually as well as word by word.

וְאָמַ֖ר אֵ֣י אֱלֹהֵ֑ימוֹ
צ֖וּר חָסָ֥יוּ בֽוֹ ס
37 And he said, Where are their gods,
the rock in which they take refuge,
lz vamr ai alohimo
xur ksiiu bo s
8
6
v/amr ai alh\imv
xvr ks\iv b\v
אֲשֶׁ֨ר חֵ֤לֶב זְבָחֵ֙ימוֹ֙ יֹאכֵ֔לוּ יִשְׁתּ֖וּ יֵ֣ין נְסִיכָ֑ם
יָק֙וּמוּ֙ וְיַעְזְרֻכֶ֔ם יְהִ֥י עֲלֵיכֶ֖ם סִתְרָֽה ס
38 that the milk of their offerings ate and imbibed the wine of their libations?
Let them arise and help you and be to you a hiding place.
lk awr klb zbkimo iaclu iwtu iin nsicm
iqumu viyzrucm ihi ylicm strh s
17
16
awr klb zbk\imv i/acl\v i/wt\v iin nsc\m
i/qvm\v vi/yzr\cm i/hi yl\icm str\h
רְא֣וּ ׀ עַתָּ֗ה כִּ֣י אֲנִ֤י אֲנִי֙ ה֔וּא וְאֵ֥ין אֱלֹהִ֖ים עִמָּדִ֑י
אֲנִ֧י אָמִ֣ית וַאֲחַיֶּ֗ה מָחַ֙צְתִּי֙ וַאֲנִ֣י אֶרְפָּ֔א וְאֵ֥ין מִיָּדִ֖י מַצִּֽיל ר
39 See now that I, I am he, and there is no god with me.
I, I put to death, and I make alive. I wound and I, I heal. and there is none to deliver out of my hand.
l't rau yth ci ani ani hua vain alohim yimdi
ani amit vakiih mkxti vani arpa vain midi mxil r
18
24
ra\v yth ci ani ani hva v/ain alh\im ym\di
ani a/mit va/kih mkx\ti v/ani a/rpa v/ain m/id\i m/xl




No comments:

Post a Comment