Sunday 21 August 2016

Zechariah 10

Only two more chapters of this one to go! So I did the short one - only 12 verses. I was only at about 36% when I started. I still ponder why some books auto-translate and some don't. Sometimes it is new forms of words that I have not yet encountered.

Not sure what to make of this passage: what role is Ephraim playing in the prophet's mind? They almost seem to be itinerant preachers. This image of wine-soaked is odd, as is the hissing of Yahweh as if a snake. It sounds like a lot of local battles and preparations for battle.

Zechariah 10 Fn Min Max Syll
שַׁאֲל֨וּ מֵיְהוָ֤ה מָטָר֙ בְּעֵ֣ת מַלְק֔וֹשׁ יְהוָ֖ה עֹשֶׂ֣ה חֲזִיזִ֑ים
וּמְטַר־גֶּ֙שֶׁם֙ יִתֵּ֣ן לָהֶ֔ם לְאִ֖ישׁ עֵ֥שֶׂב בַּשָּׂדֶֽה
1 Ask from Yahweh rain in the time of the maturing rain, Yahweh making thunderbolts,
and rain showers he will give to them, to each one for herbs in the field.
3e 4C 19
15
כִּ֧י הַתְּרָפִ֣ים דִּבְּרוּ־אָ֗וֶן וְהַקּֽוֹסְמִים֙ חָ֣זוּ שֶׁ֔קֶר וַֽחֲלֹמוֹת֙ הַשָּׁ֣וא יְדַבֵּ֔רוּ הֶ֖בֶל יְנַֽחֵמ֑וּן
עַל־כֵּן֙ נָסְע֣וּ כְמוֹ־צֹ֔אן יַעֲנ֖וּ כִּֽי־אֵ֥ין רֹעֶֽה פ
2 c For the healing images speak mischief, and the soothsayers gaze on falsehood, and dreams of vanity they have spoken. Futility they comfort,
So they pulled out as if sheep. They answer that there is no shepherd.
3c 4B 31
15
עַל־הָֽרֹעִים֙ חָרָ֣ה אַפִּ֔י וְעַל־הָעַתּוּדִ֖ים אֶפְק֑וֹד
כִּֽי־פָקַד֩ יְהוָ֨ה צְבָא֤וֹת אֶת־עֶדְרוֹ֙ אֶת־בֵּ֣ית יְהוּדָ֔ה וְשָׂ֣ם אוֹתָ֔ם כְּס֥וּס הוֹד֖וֹ בַּמִּלְחָמָֽה
3 Concerning the shepherds my anger burns, and concerning the goats I visited,
for Yahweh of hosts had visited his troop, the house of Judah, and has set them like a horse, his splendour in the battle.
3e 4C 16
27
מִמֶּ֤נּוּ פִנָּה֙ מִמֶּ֣נּוּ יָתֵ֔ד מִמֶּ֖נּוּ קֶ֣שֶׁת מִלְחָמָ֑ה
מִמֶּ֛נּוּ יֵצֵ֥א כָל־נוֹגֵ֖שׂ יַחְדָּֽו
4 From him a corner, from him a tent peg, from him the bow of war,
from him came out every taskmaster as one.
3d 4C 18
10
וְהָי֨וּ כְגִבֹּרִ֜ים בּוֹסִ֨ים בְּטִ֤יט חוּצוֹת֙ בַּמִּלְחָמָ֔ה וְנִ֨לְחֲמ֔וּ כִּ֥י יְהוָ֖ה עִמָּ֑ם
וְהֹבִ֖ישׁוּ רֹכְבֵ֥י סוּסִֽים
5 And they will be as valiant ones who tread down in the mire of the streets in the battle, and they will fight for Yahweh is with them,
and the riders of horses will be dried up.
3e 4C 26
8
וְגִבַּרְתִּ֣י ׀ אֶת־בֵּ֣ית יְהוּדָ֗ה וְאֶת־בֵּ֤ית יוֹסֵף֙ אוֹשִׁ֔יעַ וְהֽוֹשְׁבוֹתִים֙ כִּ֣י רִֽחַמְתִּ֔ים וְהָי֖וּ כַּאֲשֶׁ֣ר לֹֽא־זְנַחְתִּ֑ים
כִּ֗י אֲנִ֛י יְהוָ֥ה אֱלֹהֵיהֶ֖ם וְאֶעֱנֵֽם
6 And I will make the house of Judah prevail and the house of Joseph I will save to make them inhabitants, for I will have compassion on them and they will be as though I had not rejected them,
for I am Yahweh their God and I answer them.
3d 4C 35
13
וְהָי֤וּ כְגִבּוֹר֙ אֶפְרַ֔יִם וְשָׂמַ֥ח לִבָּ֖ם כְּמוֹ־יָ֑יִן
וּבְנֵיהֶם֙ יִרְא֣וּ וְשָׂמֵ֔חוּ יָגֵ֥ל לִבָּ֖ם בַּיהוָֽה
7 And they of Ephraim as one who prevails, and their heart will be glad as if wine-soaked,
and their children will see and they will be glad. Their heart will rejoice in Yahweh.
3e 4C 16
15
אֶשְׁרְקָ֥ה לָהֶ֛ם וַאֲקַבְּצֵ֖ם כִּ֣י פְדִיתִ֑ים
וְרָב֖וּ כְּמ֥וֹ רָבֽוּ
8 I will hiss for them and I will collect them for I have ransomed them,
and they will multiply as they have multiplied.
3d 4B 13
7
וְאֶזְרָעֵם֙ בָּֽעַמִּ֔ים וּבַמֶּרְחַקִּ֖ים יִזְכְּר֑וּנִי
וְחָי֥וּ אֶת־בְּנֵיהֶ֖ם וָשָֽׁבוּ
9 And I will sow them among the peoples. In distant places they will remember me,
and they will live with their children and they will return.
3e 4A 16
10
וַהֲשִֽׁיבוֹתִים֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֔יִם וּמֵֽאַשּׁ֖וּר אֲקַבְּצֵ֑ם
וְאֶל־אֶ֨רֶץ גִּלְעָ֤ד וּלְבָנוֹן֙ אֲבִיאֵ֔ם וְלֹ֥א יִמָּצֵ֖א לָהֶֽם
10 And I will have them return from the land of Egypt. and from Ashur I will collect them,
and to the land of Gilead and Lebanon I will have them come, but naught will be found for them.
3e 4C 17
19
וְעָבַ֨ר בַּיָּ֜ם צָרָ֗ה וְהִכָּ֤ה בַיָּם֙ גַּלִּ֔ים וְהֹבִ֕ישׁוּ כֹּ֖ל מְצוּל֣וֹת יְאֹ֑ר
וְהוּרַד֙ גְּא֣וֹן אַשּׁ֔וּר וְשֵׁ֥בֶט מִצְרַ֖יִם יָסֽוּר
11 And he will pass through in the sea of trouble, and will strike waves in the sea and all the depths of the Nile will dry up,
and the pride of Ashur will be brought down, and the sceptre of Egypt will depart.
3e 4C 24
14
וְגִבַּרְתִּים֙ בַּֽיהוָ֔ה וּבִשְׁמ֖וֹ יִתְהַלָּ֑כוּ
נְאֻ֖ם יְהוָֽה ס
12 And I will make them prevail in Yahweh and in his name they will walk about,
an oracle of Yahweh.
3e 4A 13
5


No comments:

Post a Comment