Monday 31 May 2021

Assonance in Psalms 7, verse by verse

This is an experiment. It has resulted in one immediate change to my translation. Priorities change for me when I see alliteration and there is enough in verse 3 to pay attention. npwi is much better as the concrete throat in this context (rather than the innocuous me). But the repeating letters and pairs in the rest of the Psalm did not suggest anything. A recurring root in one verse will result in several potential suggests of paired letters.

Psalms 7 is the subject of psalms blogging this week here.

thlim z Psalms 7
a wigion ldvid
awr-wr lihvh
yl-dbri-cuw bn-imini
d: 3, v: 4, i: 8, l: 3, n: 3, r: 3, w: 4,
wr: 2,
1 A reel of David,
who sang to Yahweh,
over the words of Cush of Benjamin,
b ihvh alohii bç ksiti
howiyni mcl-rodpii vhxilni
h: 5, v: 5, i: 11, l: 3,
2 Yahweh my God in you I take refuge.
Save me from all my persecutors and deliver me,
g pn-i'trof carih npwi
porq vain mxil
v: 3, i: 5, n: 3, p: 3, r: 3,
'tr: 1, np: 1, pn: 1, r't: 1,
3 lest he tear like a lion my throat,
rending apart and there is none to deliver.

d ihvh alohii am-ywiti zat
am-iw-yvvl bcpii
a: 4, h: 3, v: 4, i: 8,
am: 2,
4 Yahweh my God if I have done this,
if there is injustice in my palm,
h am-gmlti wolmi ry
vaklxh xorri riqm
v: 3, i: 4, l: 3, m: 4, r: 4,
lm: 1, ml: 1,
5 if I have paid back evil to one who is at peace with me,
then let me be gripped without cause by my adversary.
v irdof aoib npwi viwg virmos larx kii
ucbodi lypr iwcn slh
v: 7, i: 9, l: 3, r: 4, w: 3,
6 Let an enemy persecute me and overtake and trample my life on earth,
and make my glory to dwell in the dust. Selah.

z qumh ihvh bapç hinwa bybrot xorrii
vyurh alii mwp't xivvit
a: 3, b: 3, h: 5, v: 8, i: 8, r: 4,
by: 1, yb: 1,
7 Arise Yahweh, in your anger, be lifted up in the outbursts of my adversary,
and be aroused, my God, judgment you command.
k vydt laumim tsobbç
vylih lmrom wubh
b: 3, v: 6, l: 3, m: 4,
mr: 1, rm: 1,
8 And an assembly of tribes surround you,
so for her of the high ground return.
't ihvh idin ymim
wop'tni ihvh
cxdqi uctumi ylii
h: 4, v: 5, i: 10, m: 3,
9 Yahweh makes the case for the peoples.
Judge me Yahweh,
for my righteousness and for my completeness in me.
i igmor-na ry rwyim utconn xdiq
ubokn libot ucliot alohim xdiq
v: 9, i: 7, l: 3, m: 3, n: 4, r: 3, t: 3,
dq: 2, xd: 2,
10 May the evil of the wicked be obliterated and prepare a righteous one.
So testing hearts and vital centres is God, a righteous one.
ia mgini yl-alohim
mowiy iwri-lb
i: 6, l: 3, m: 3,
11 My shield is of God,
saving the upright of heart.
ib alohim wop't xdiq
val zoym bcl-iom
v: 5, i: 3, l: 3, m: 3,
al: 2, zy 1,
12 God judges a righteous one,
and God is indignant every day.

ig am-la iwub krbo il'tow
qwto drç viconnha
a: 3, v: 6, i: 3, w: 3,
13 If he will not turn he will hone his sword,
his bow he directs, and he will aim.
id vlo hcin cli-mvvt
kixiv ldolqim ipyl
v: 6, i: 6, l: 5,
dl: 1, ld: 1,
14 And for him he has prepared consuming means of death.
His arrows for those in hot pursuit he will draw.
'tv hnh ikbl-avvn
vhrh yml vild wqr
h: 4, v: 4, l: 3,
hn: 1, hr: 1, nh: 1, rh: 1,
15 Behold he pushes out mischief,
and he is big with toil and he gives birth to falsehood.
'tz bor crh vikprhu
viipol bwkt ipyl
v: 5, i: 4, p: 3, r: 3,
rh: 2,
16 A pit he digs and he excavates it,
and he miscarries into the destruction that he has worked.
iz iwub ymlo brawo
vyl qodqodo kmso iird
d: 3, v: 8, i: 3,
dq: 1, qd: 2,
17 He turns his toil in his head,
and onto his scalp his violence descends.
ik aodh ihvh cxdqo
vazmrh wm-ihvh ylion
h: 6, v: 6, i: 3,
18 I will give thanks to Yahweh for his righteousness,
and I will psalm the name of Yahweh on high.


No comments:

Post a Comment