Saturday 8 May 2021

The pace of change for a translation

 How does a translation change? I find myself wondering how translators measure their output and the nature of changes after 'completion'.

Changes by word and by verse for my translation of Tanakh since 2017.04 to date.

From the graph, sometime around two years ago, I reached a completion point in my translation project. Things were stable for about a year. Then during the pandemic, I began to research the differences between the malé (unpointed) text form and the haser text (full pointing). This got me back into data analysis of the exact form of all my detailed data. The four red peaks 2020-21 represent places where there were some global changes to text that were of no consequence to printed versions, sometimes even internal changes in the Hebrew during the analysis of the textual differences. Sometimes the changes were to semantic domains. These only affect the concordance. The online concordance was developed from this process and has been kept in sync. The ebook concordance falls behind but has a very different format in any case since it does not make use of SimHebrew.

Changes since the start of the pandemic to now amount to about 0.43% of the words. As the SimHebrew project continues and in the midst of a read through of the Psalter, perhaps there will be more changes. (The reason for the many changes 2017.04 was a restoration of the database after a problem, and all the date stamps got changed at once.)

I welcome critique of my translation if anyone cares to suggest a change or two. The glosses are quite stable still, but I also change word order sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment