Thursday 4 March 2021

Relating Psalms 1 and 2 through recurrence patterns

In my first post on Psalms 1, I noted that recurrence allows us to see the patterns of repeated words in one psalm. Recurrence also allows us to see the patterns of repeated words in pairs of Psalms. Here are some relationships between Psalms 1 and 2. 

Frame and sequential usage of shared words in Psalms 1 and 2

If you look now at the recurring words of the two psalms, they too are doubly framed and contain between them four additional repeated words. Can you see them from the shapes in the cross-tab? The frames are happy-way and seat-mutters, the additional 4 in sequence in both psalms are day-give-judge-perish. The final recurring word may also point out a focus in a psalm. Here for the pair of psalms, the final recurring word is perish.

But - not to lose track, let's read Psalms 2.

thlim

Psalms

b

2

a lmh rgwu goiim?
ulaumim ihgu-riq?
1 Why such a throng of nations?
and tribes in empty muttering?
b itiixbu mlci-arx vroznim nosdu-ikd,
yl-ihvh vyl-mwiko:
2 They station themselves, these sovereigns of earth, these rule-makers reasoning as one,
over Yahweh and over his anointed:
g nntqh at-mosrotimo,
vnwlich mmnu ybotimo.
3 Let us snap their bonds,
and kiss good-bye to their cords.
d iowb bwmiim iwkq.
adonii ilyg-lmo.
4 The one sitting in the heavens, he laughs.
My Lord derides them.
h az idbr alimo bapo,
ubkrono ibhlmo.
5 Then he will speak to them in his anger,
and in his burning vex them.
v vani nscti mlci,
yl-xion hr-qodwi.
6 I myself have offered as libation my own king,
on Zion, my holy hill.
z asprh al-koq.
ihvh amr alii bni ath.
ani hiom ildtiç.
7 I will recount the decree.
Yahweh promised to me: You are my son.
I myself this day gave birth to you.
k wal mmni vatnh goiim nkltç,
vakuztç apsi-arx.
8 Ask me and I give the nations as your legacy,
and as yours to hold fast, the ends of the earth.
't troym bwb't brzl.
ccli ioxr tnpxm.
9 You will injure them with an iron sceptre.
Like fashioned vessels, you will smash them.
i vyth mlcim hwcilu.
hivvsru wop'ti arx.
10 So now, you sovereigns, let there be insight.
Be warned you who judge on earth.
ia ybdu at-ihvh birah,
vgilu brydh.
11 Serve Yahweh in fear,
and rejoice in trembling.
ib nwqu-br pn-ianf vtabdu drç ci-ibyr cmy't apo,
awri cl-kosi bo.
12 Kiss, each of you, pure lest he be angry and you perish in the way,
for he kindles as a hint of his anger. Happy are all who take refuge in him.
I hope you laughed. I should be clear to you that kiss is not part of the frame of Psalms 2. It was a deliberate use of the same technique that the poet uses but it is not a repeated word in this case. I have in this case paired wlh, cast away, with nwq kiss, a bit of a stretch. O translator, how could you do this! 

Looking at recurrence within Psalms 2 itself, it has a focus on ani, myself. There is a frame within the 5 parallel recurring words. sovereigns-earth, earth-sovereigns.

In brief, from these tables, you can see at a glance the sequences of words used in the same relative order, and used in reverse order (chiasms and circular structures). These are objectively observable techniques used throughout the psalms and indeed in other sections in the poetry and prose books of the Hebrew canon.

Word / Gloss 1 2 3 4 5 6 Vs Stem
גוים nations
1 גוי
מלכי these sovereigns of
2 מלך
ארץ earth
2 ארץ
ממנו -bye to
3 מן
באפו in his anger
5 אפ
ואני myself
6 אני
מלכי my own king
6 מלך
אני myself
7 אני
ממני me
8 מן
גוים the nations as
8 גוי
ארץ the earth
8 ארץ
מלכים you sovereigns
10 מלך
ארץ on earth
10 ארץ
אפו his anger
12 אפ

The Psalter as a whole has framing words as well. Psalms 2 is reflected in Psalms 149. Six words in sequence used in Psalms 2 find their way into Psalms 149: nations-tribes-sovereigns-iron-judgment-all. (See Robert Cole's work.)


No comments:

Post a Comment