Sunday 7 March 2021

Psalms 3

One more early psalm from the beginning. Read - look for recurrence patterns - determine if the music supports the strophes.

Read

thlim

Psalms

g

3

amzmor ldvid,
bborko mpni abwlom bno.
1A psalm of David,
when he ran away from the face of Absalom his son.
bihvh mh-rbu xrii!
rbim qmim ylii.
2Yahweh, how multiplied my straits!
Many arise over me.
grbim aomrim lnpwi,
ain iwuyth lo balohim slh.
3Many say of me,
There is no salvation for him in God. Selah.
dvath ihvh mgn bydi,
cbodi umrim rawi.
4But you, Yahweh, a shield about me,
my glory, and lifting high my head.
hqoli al-ihvh aqra,
viynni mhr qodwo slh.
5My voice, to Yahweh I call,
and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah.
vani wcbti vaiwnh.
hqixoti,
ci ihvh ismcni.
6I lie down and I sleep.
I awake,
for Yahweh supports me.
zla-aira mrbbot ym,
awr sbib wtu ylii.
7I will not fear the multiplicity of people,
that surround set over me.
kqumh ihvh howiyni alohii ci-hcit at-cl-aoibii lki.
wini rwyim wibrt.
8Arise Yahweh. Save me my God for you strike all my enemies on the cheek.
The teeth of the wicked you break.
'tlihvh hiwuyh.
yl-ymç brctç slh.
9Of Yahweh is the salvation.
On your people your blessing. Selah.
To note right away the similarity to Psalms 2 - only one verse is a tricolon and it is verse 6. The middle colon is a single word, I awake. The singer should be aware of this.

Recurrence

Word / Gloss

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

Vs

Stem

יהוה Yahweh

2

יהוה

רבו multiplied

2

רבב

רבים many

2

רב

קמים arise

2

קום

רבים many

3

רב

ישועתה salvation

3

ישע

סלה selah

3

סלה

יהוה Yahweh

4

יהוה

יהוה Yahweh

5

יהוה

סלה selah

5

סלה

יהוה Yahweh

6

יהוה

מרבבות the multiplicity of

7

רבב

עם people

7

עם

קומה arise

8

קום

יהוה Yahweh

8

יהוה

הושיעני save me

8

ישע

ליהוה of Yahweh

9

יהוה

הישועה is the salvation

9

ישע

עמך your people

9

עם

סלה selah

9

סלה

Yahweh and selah play roles in recurrence in this psalm. Verses 1-5 and 6-9 have a clear sequence of recurring roots. The focus of the psalm is people.

Music
Psalms 3, the melody based on the deciphering key of Suzanne-Haïk-Vantoura.

I have made the verses start for the most part on the left hand edge of the image. Does this music dictate a collecting of verses into strophes?

1-2 + possibly 3 together. Or is the opening g of verse 2 meant to be a continuation of Psalms 2? Note that verse 3 is a bi-colon separated by the ole-veyored, a cadence on the supertonic, the second note of the scale.
4-5 together. 6 standing alone? Verse 6 has two cadences. It is easy to miss the first one (the ole-veyored on the third word). The fourth word stands alone, I awake. (qvx). The fifth and sixth word follow the atenach.
Then 7-8 together (joined by the ornament)? 9 standing alone? The opening reciting note for verse 7 is the tonic, but it is ornamented. We could interpret this as emphasizing what is to come rather than joining it to the prior verse. So is 7 better taken as a response to the security of verse 6?

The music helps. It need not dictate.
What if we looked at syllable counts and the highest note in each phrase? I originally divided this in threes. But If I separate verse 1 (the inscription), I could divide the remainder in pairs of verses. This puts the te'amim into a frame for the 8 verses. You can see this in the Max column B-C ... C-B. This would be aurally evident in a performance.



Min Max Syll
מִזְמ֥וֹר לְדָוִ֑ד
בְּ֝בָרְח֗וֹ מִפְּנֵ֤י ׀ אַבְשָׁל֬וֹם בְּנֽוֹ
1 A psalm of David,
when he ran away from the face of Absalom his son.

3e 4C 5
10
יְ֭הוָה מָֽה־רַבּ֣וּ צָרָ֑י
רַ֝בִּ֗ים קָמִ֥ים עָלָֽי
2 Yahweh, how multiplied my straits!
Many arise over me.
3e 4B 7
6
רַבִּים֮ אֹמְרִ֪ים לְנַ֫פְשִׁ֥י
אֵ֤ין יְֽשׁוּעָ֓תָה לּ֬וֹ בֵֽאלֹהִ֬ים סֶֽלָה
3 Many say of me,
There is no salvation for him in God. Selah.

3d 4C 7
11
וְאַתָּ֣ה יְ֭הוָה מָגֵ֣ן בַּעֲדִ֑י
כְּ֝בוֹדִ֗י וּמֵרִ֥ים רֹאשִֽׁי
4 But you, Yahweh, a shield about me,
my glory, and lifting high my head.
3e 4B 10
8
ק֭וֹלִי אֶל־יְהוָ֣ה אֶקְרָ֑א
וַיַּֽעֲנֵ֨נִי מֵהַ֖ר קָדְשׁ֣וֹ סֶֽלָה
5 My voice, to Yahweh I call,
and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah.

3e 4B 7
11
אֲנִ֥י שָׁכַ֗בְתִּי וָֽאִ֫ישָׁ֥נָה
הֱקִיצ֑וֹתִי
כִּ֖י יְהוָ֣ה יִסְמְכֵֽנִי
6 I lie down and I sleep.
I awake,
for Yahweh supports me.
3e 4B 9
4
7
לֹֽא־אִ֭ירָא מֵרִבְב֥וֹת עָ֑ם
אֲשֶׁ֥ר סָ֝בִ֗יב שָׁ֣תוּ עָלָֽי
7 I will not fear the multiplicity of people,
that surround set over me.

3e 4B 6
8
ק֘וּמָ֤ה יְהוָ֨ה ׀ הוֹשִׁ֘יעֵ֤נִי אֱלֹהַ֗י כִּֽי־הִכִּ֣יתָ אֶת־כָּל־אֹיְבַ֣י לֶ֑חִי
שִׁנֵּ֖י רְשָׁעִ֣ים שִׁבַּֽרְתָּ
8 Arise Yahweh. Save me my God for you strike all my enemies on the cheek.
The teeth of the wicked you break.
3e 4C 20
8
לַיהוָ֥ה הַיְשׁוּעָ֑ה
עַֽל־עַמְּךָ֖ בִרְכָתֶ֣ךָ סֶּֽלָה
9 Of Yahweh is the salvation.
On your people your blessing. Selah.
3e 4B 5
9



No comments:

Post a Comment