Saturday 13 February 2021

Psalms 63

Note the aptness of this psalm again - the promise that the "the mouth of those speaking falsehood will be stopped". But equally, note the joy of the poet. 

Imagine what you should learn from the music:

Psalms 63:4 (5) A single thought

The music has to reflect my original phonetic approximations. SimHebrew does not have sufficient vowels for a non-Hebrew singer. But ci-'tob or ki tov both reflect Genesis. Good - not complete, but good. David is in contrast to Jonah in his celebration of kindness. Curious it is that so many people have used the opposite of kindness in their ministries within the religious communities of this world. Can we tell the difference?

I began by reading Tate's translation. (Trying to be a scholar, at least!) He, like most, uses praise as his gloss. In this way English translators obscure the text more than necessary. Note my glossing of wbk. The word is not praise. It is in the same semantic domain as praise. But it is different Hebrew root, so my glossing rules will flag it use it unless I provide a reason for my exception. I see no reason to simplify the language. In this I differ from other translators who seem sometimes to use English synonyms indiscriminately. Beware of your self, seeking power!

Note that this verse has no pause. No need for rest when you are at rest.

Psalms 63:4 (5) a single thought.

Continuing on the subject of lies from the prior psalm, the poet finishes with "the mouth of those speaking falsehood will be stopped."

Foxes! Tate has jackal. For some very odd reason I had placed foxes into the domain of Love! Time to fix it? We'll see (yes). In the Song we are told to catch the foxes that damage the vineyard. 

thlim

Psalms

sg

63

amzmor ldvid,
bhioto bmdbr ihudh.
1A psalm of David,
when he was in the wilderness of Judah.
balohim ali ath awkrç.
xmah lç npwi cmh lç bwri,
barx-xiih vyiif bli-mim.
2God my God are you, I will seek you early.
My being thirsts for you. My flesh pines for you,
in an arid and exhausted earth, failing in waters.
gcn bqodw kzitiç,
lraot yuzç ucbodç.
3So in holiness I have gazed on you,
to see your strength and your glory.
dci-'tob ksdç mkiim wptii iwbkunç. 4For it is good, your kindness, even over life. My lips will commend you.
hcn abrcç bkii.
bwmç awa cpii.
5So I will bless you in my life.
In your name I will lift up my palms.
vcmo klb vdwn twby npwi,
vwpti rnnot ihll-pi.
6As with the choicest of fatness my being is satisfied,
and my lips shout with joy, my mouth gives praise.
zam-zcrtiç yl-ixuyii.
bawmurot ahgh-bç.
7When I remember you where I spread out my bed.
In the watches I meditate in you.
kci-hiit yzrth li,
ubxl cnpiç arnn.
8For you have been a help to me,
and in the shadow of your wings I shout with joy.
'tdbqh npwi akriç.
bi tmch iminç.
9My being follows close after you.
In me your right hand maintains.
ivhmh lwoah ibqwu npwi,
iboau btktiiot harx.
10And they of catastrophe who seek my being,
let them go to the nethermost parts of the earth.
iaigiruhu yl-idi-krb,
mnt wuylim ihiu.
11They will be wrung out by means of a sword,
a portion of foxes they will be.
ibvhmlç iwmk balohim.
ithll cl-hnwby bo,
ci iiscr pi dobri-wqr.
12But the king will be glad in God.
Everyone swearing by him will praise,
for the mouth of those speaking falsehood will be stopped.


No comments:

Post a Comment