Friday 8 January 2021

Psalms 69

 This one opened at random for the day after the insurrection. In The Psalms Chronologically Treated With A New Translation by Moses Buttenwieser, a book sitting on my desktop, he suggests that this psalm like many should be read imagining that the individual is speaking on behalf of all of Zion.This suggestion can be applied in a number of passages to prevent us from thinking too individualistically. So read this as a lament for the ravages of the present, on behalf of any corporate entity you choose, right up to the whole of humanity, but not forgetting the body/bodies we are a part of around the world and at home.

Buttenwiser (1937) connects verse 9 with the conceptually similar thoughts in Job 19:13, 15, and 17. Sure, they use some individual word allusions, but that does not seem sufficient to establish a dependency either way. His connections of these poems to particular incidents in Israelite history seem tenuous. These poems are widely applicable to a historic thrust that emerges over a several generations, such as we have seen in the prejudices of the privileged over the past 150 years in Western history.

This psalm reads well for today. If we hope to set a good example for others, verse 7 applies, whether we are nurturing the Torah, as Israel has done, or pointing to a good example, as Christendom has attempted, or worried about our democracy, as Western political systems might at this historical juncture.

What does Tate suggest? He shows a structure extending through most of the Psalm. This is very much in my style, so I can show you his recurrence pattern visually. This is very likely deliberately designed by the poet. Curiously enough, these words also appear frequently in Job 19, so Buttenwiser is perhaps wiser than I thought. We can all be the wiser for reading the Psalms. Job 19 and Psalm 69 share 46% of their words. Lament is a very suitable form for all readers whether individual or corporate. May those who have not yet learned to think or to know how to refuse evil and chose good learn to lament.

Word / Gloss 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 2 Vs Stem
הושיעני save me
2 ישע
מים the waters
2 מים
טבעתי I sink
3 טבע
מצולה beyond depth
3 צולה
מים waters
3 מים
שנאי are those hating me
5 שנא
איבי my enemies
5 איב
ידעת you know
6 ידע
יבשו may be ashamed
7 בוש
בי in me
7 ב
יכלמו may they be humiliated
7 כלם
בי in me
7 ב
כלמה humiliation
8 כלם
ואתנה and I gave myself
12 נתן
בי about me
13 ב
ואני but I
14 אני
ישעך your salvation
14 ישע
אטבעה let me sink
15 טבע
משנאי from those hating me
15 שנא
מים waters
15 מים
מים waters
16 מים
מצולה depth
16 צולה
איבי my enemies
19 איב
ידעת you have known
20 ידע
ובשתי and my shame
20 בוש
וכלמתי and my humiliation
20 כלם
ויתנו and they give
22 נתן
תנה give
28 נתן
ואני but I
30 אני
ישועתך let your salvation
30 ישע


Psalms 69 Fn Min Max Syll
לַמְנַצֵּ֬חַ עַֽל־שׁוֹשַׁנִּ֬ים לְדָוִֽד 1 For the leader. Upon lilies. Of David.

3e 3e 11
הוֹשִׁיעֵ֥נִי אֱלֹהִ֑ים
כִּ֤י בָ֖אוּ מַ֣יִם עַד־נָֽפֶשׁ
2 Save me O God,
for the waters have come up to the throat.
3e 4C 7
7
טָבַ֤עְתִּי ׀ בִּיוֵ֣ן מְ֭צוּלָה וְאֵ֣ין מָעֳמָ֑ד
בָּ֥אתִי בְמַעֲמַקֵּי־מַ֝֗יִם וְשִׁבֹּ֥לֶת שְׁטָפָֽתְנִי
3 I sink in a mire beyond depth and there is no foothold.
I come into valleys of waters and the floods overflow me.

3e 4C 13
16
יָגַ֣עְתִּי בְקָרְאִי֮ נִחַ֪ר גְּר֫וֹנִ֥י
כָּל֥וּ עֵינַ֑י
מְ֝יַחֵ֗ל לֵאלֹהָֽי
4 I weary in my calling, my gullet parched.
My eyes faint,
hoping for my God.
3d 4B 11
4
6
רַבּ֤וּ ׀ מִשַּׂעֲר֣וֹת רֹאשִׁי֮ שֹׂנְאַ֪י חִ֫נָּ֥ם
עָצְמ֣וּ מַ֭צְמִיתַי אֹיְבַ֣י שֶׁ֑קֶר
אֲשֶׁ֥ר לֹא־גָ֝זַ֗לְתִּי אָ֣ז אָשִֽׁיב
5 More than the hairs of my head are those hating me for nothing,
numerous those who would annihilate me, my enemies false.
What I did not ravage, must I return?

3d 4C 12
9
8
אֱ‍ֽלֹהִ֗ים אַתָּ֣ה יָ֭דַעְתָּ לְאִוַּלְתִּ֑י
וְ֝אַשְׁמוֹתַ֗י מִמְּךָ֥ לֹא־נִכְחָֽדוּ
6 O God you, you know my foolishness,
and my offenses from you are not concealed.
3e 4B 11
10
אַל־יֵ֘בֹ֤שׁוּ בִ֨י ׀ קֹוֶיךָ֮ אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִ֗ה צְבָ֫א֥וֹת
אַל־יִכָּ֣לְמוּ בִ֣י מְבַקְשֶׁ֑יךָ
אֱ֝לֹהֵ֗י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
7 May those waiting on you not be ashamed in me, O Lord Yahweh of hosts.
May they who seek you not be humiliated in me,
O God of Israel.
3e 4C 16
9
6
כִּֽי־עָ֭לֶיךָ נָשָׂ֣אתִי חֶרְפָּ֑ה
כִּסְּתָ֖ה כְלִמָּ֣ה פָנָֽי
8 Because for you I have borne reproach,
my face covered with humiliation.
3e 4B 8
7
מ֭וּזָר הָיִ֣יתִי לְאֶחָ֑י
וְ֝נָכְרִ֗י לִבְנֵ֥י אִמִּֽי
9 I have become estranged from my kin,
and unrecognizable to the children of my mother.

g 3e 4B 8
7
כִּֽי־קִנְאַ֣ת בֵּיתְךָ֣ אֲכָלָ֑תְנִי
וְחֶרְפּ֥וֹת ח֝וֹרְפֶ֗יךָ נָפְל֥וּ עָלָֽי
10 For jealousy for your house has eaten me up,
and the reproaches of those reproaching you have fallen on me.
3e 4B 9
10
וָאֶבְכֶּ֣ה בַצּ֣וֹם נַפְשִׁ֑י
וַתְּהִ֖י לַחֲרָפ֣וֹת לִֽי
11 And I wept with fasting of my being,
and it became reproaches to me.

3e 4B 7
7
וָאֶתְּנָ֣ה לְבוּשִׁ֣י שָׂ֑ק
וָאֱהִ֖י לָהֶ֣ם לְמָשָֽׁל
12 And I gave myself clothing of sack,
and I became among them as a proverb.
3e 4B 7
8
יָשִׂ֣יחוּ בִ֭י יֹ֣שְׁבֵי שָׁ֑עַר
וּ֝נְגִינ֗וֹת שׁוֹתֵ֥י שֵׁכָֽר
13 Those sitting by the gate blather about me,
with the warblings of drunkards.

3e 4B 8
7
וַאֲנִ֤י תְפִלָּתִֽי־לְךָ֨ ׀ יְהוָ֡ה עֵ֤ת רָצ֗וֹן אֱלֹהִ֥ים בְּרָב־חַסְדֶּ֑ךָ
עֲ֝נֵ֗נִי בֶּאֱמֶ֥ת יִשְׁעֶֽךָ
14 but I, my prayer is to you Yahweh in a time of acceptance. O God, in your abundant mercy,
answer me in the truth of your salvation.
3e 4C 22
9
הַצִּילֵ֣נִי מִ֭טִּיט וְאַל־אֶטְבָּ֑עָה
אִנָּצְלָ֥ה מִ֝שֹּֽׂנְאַ֗י וּמִמַּֽעֲמַקֵּי מָֽיִם
15 Deliver me from the muck and let me not sink.
Let me be delivered from those hating me and from the valleys of waters.
3e 4B 11
14
אַל־תִּשְׁטְפֵ֤נִי ׀ שִׁבֹּ֣לֶת מַ֭יִם וְאַל־תִּבְלָעֵ֣נִי מְצוּלָ֑ה
וְאַל־תֶּאְטַר־עָלַ֖י בְּאֵ֣ר פִּֽיהָ
16 Do not let floods of waters overflow me and do not let depth swallow me.
And do not let a well close her mouth on me.
3e 4C 18
10
עֲנֵ֣נִי יְ֭הוָה כִּי־ט֣וֹב חַסְדֶּ֑ךָ
כְּרֹ֥ב רַ֝חֲמֶ֗יךָ פְּנֵ֣ה אֵלָֽי
17 Answer me Yahweh for your mercy is good.
According to the multitude of your compassions be present to me.
3e 4B 10
10
וְאַל־תַּסְתֵּ֣ר פָּ֭נֶיךָ מֵֽעַבְדֶּ֑ךָ
כִּֽי־צַר־לִ֝֗י מַהֵ֥ר עֲנֵֽנִי
18 And do not hide your presence from your servant,
for there is trouble for me. Swiftly answer me.
3e 4B 11
8
קָרְבָ֣ה אֶל־נַפְשִׁ֣י גְאָלָ֑הּ
לְמַ֖עַן אֹיְבַ֣י פְּדֵֽנִי
19 Draw near to my being. Redeem it.
For the sake of my enemies, ransom me.

3e 4B 8
8
אַתָּ֤ה יָדַ֗עְתָּ חֶרְפָּתִ֣י וּ֭בָשְׁתִּי וּכְלִמָּתִ֑י
נֶ֝גְדְּךָ֗ כָּל־צוֹרְרָֽי
20 You yourself have known my reproach and my shame and my humiliation.
Before you are all my adversaries.
3e 4C 15
6
חֶרְפָּ֤ה ׀ שָֽׁבְרָ֥ה לִבִּ֗י וָֽאָ֫נ֥וּשָׁה
וָאֲקַוֶּ֣ה לָנ֣וּד וָאַ֑יִן
וְ֝לַמְנַחֲמִ֗ים וְלֹ֣א מָצָֽאתִי
21 Reproach has broken my heart and I am despondent.
And I waited for sympathy but there was none,
and for comforters but I did not find any.
3e 4C 10
8
10
וַיִּתְּנ֣וּ בְּבָרוּתִ֣י רֹ֑אשׁ
וְ֝לִצְמָאִ֗י יַשְׁק֥וּנִי חֹֽמֶץ
22 And they give venom for my meals,
and for my thirst they make me drink vinegar.

3e 4B 8
9
יְהִֽי־שֻׁלְחָנָ֣ם לִפְנֵיהֶ֣ם לְפָ֑ח
וְלִשְׁלוֹמִ֥ים לְמוֹקֵֽשׁ
23 Let their table become a snare facing them,
and in their desserts a trap.
3e 4B 10
7
תֶּחְשַׁ֣כְנָה עֵ֭ינֵיהֶם מֵרְא֑וֹת
וּ֝מָתְנֵ֗יהֶם תָּמִ֥יד הַמְעַֽד
24 Let their eyes be darkened from seeing,
and their loins continually unstable.

3e 4B 8
8
שְׁפָךְ־עֲלֵיהֶ֥ם זַעְמֶ֑ךָ
וַחֲר֥וֹן אַ֝פְּךָ֗ יַשִּׂיגֵֽם
25 Pour out on them your indignation,
and your fierce anger will overtake them.
3e 4A 8
8
תְּהִי־טִֽירָתָ֥ם נְשַׁמָּ֑ה
בְּ֝אָהֳלֵיהֶ֗ם אַל־יְהִ֥י יֹשֵֽׁב
26 Let their domicile become desolate.
In their tents let no one be sitting.

3e 4A 7
10
כִּֽי־אַתָּ֣ה אֲשֶׁר־הִכִּ֣יתָ רָדָ֑פוּ
וְאֶל־מַכְא֖וֹב חֲלָלֶ֣יךָ יְסַפֵּֽרוּ
27 For the one whom you yourself struck they persecute,
and from the sorrow of your profaned they make their record.
3e 4B 10
12
תְּֽנָה־עָ֭וֺן עַל־עֲוֺנָ֑ם
וְאַל־יָ֝בֹ֗אוּ בְּצִדְקָתֶֽךָ
28 Give iniquity to their iniquity.
And let them not come into your righteousness.
3e 4A 8
9
יִ֭מָּחֽוּ מִסֵּ֣פֶר חַיִּ֑ים
וְעִ֥ם צַ֝דִּיקִ֗ים אַל־יִכָּתֵֽבוּ
29 They will be erased from the record of the living,
and with the righteous let them not be written.

g 3e 4B 8
10
וַ֭אֲנִי עָנִ֣י וְכוֹאֵ֑ב
יְשׁוּעָתְךָ֖ אֱלֹהִ֣ים תְּשַׂגְּבֵֽנִי
30 But I poor and in sorrow.
Let your salvation, O God, be my retreat.
g 3e 4B 8
11
אֲהַֽלְלָ֣ה שֵׁם־אֱלֹהִ֣ים בְּשִׁ֑יר
וַאֲגַדְּלֶ֥נּוּ בְתוֹדָֽה
31 I will praise the name of God with a song,
and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
3e 4B 9
8
וְתִיטַ֣ב לַֽ֭יהוָה מִשּׁ֥וֹר פָּ֗ר מַקְרִ֥ן מַפְרִֽיס 32 And this is good to Yahweh over a bull, a young bull, of horn or hoof. 3e 4B 12
רָא֣וּ עֲנָוִ֣ים יִשְׂמָ֑חוּ
דֹּרְשֵׁ֥י אֱ֝לֹהִ֗ים וִיחִ֥י לְבַבְכֶֽם
33 The afflicted will see - they will be glad,
those searching for God. And let your heart live.
3e 4B 8
10
כִּֽי־שֹׁמֵ֣עַ אֶל־אֶבְיוֹנִ֣ים יְהוָ֑ה
וְאֶת־אֲ֝סִירָ֗יו לֹ֣א בָזָֽה
34 For Yahweh hears the-many needy,
and his prisoners he does not despise.
3e 4B 9
8
יְֽ֭הַלְלוּהוּ שָׁמַ֣יִם וָאָ֑רֶץ
יַ֝מִּ֗ים וְֽכָל־רֹמֵ֥שׂ בָּֽם
35 Let heaven and earth praise him,
seas and all that creep in them.
g 3e 4B 9
7
כִּ֤י אֱלֹהִ֨ים ׀ י֘וֹשִׁ֤יעַ צִיּ֗וֹן וְ֭יִבְנֶה עָרֵ֣י יְהוּדָ֑ה
וְיָ֥שְׁבוּ שָׁ֝֗ם וִירֵשֽׁוּהָ
36 For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah,
and they will sit there and will possess her.
C 3e 4C 17
8
וְזֶ֣רַע עֲ֭בָדָיו יִנְחָל֑וּהָ
וְאֹהֲבֵ֥י שְׁ֝מ֗וֹ יִשְׁכְּנוּ־בָֽהּ
37 And the seed of his servants will inherit,
and those who love his name will dwell in her.
3e 4B 10
10


No comments:

Post a Comment