Sunday 2 August 2020

The individual vowels, patah

Continuing from the post on qamats, patah is comparatively simpler. In my code so far, qamats occurs 87 times compared to 38 for patah. Of these 12 were already dealt with in the common suffixes in the initial post on the details of vv and common suffixes.

Continuing from there, and testing and refining the logic so I can try to explain it, I found that I had several lists of stems with similar processing referring to two combinations yod with patah preceding it, and yod with patah as its vowel

The first set all but completely disappeared as I tested, and I could treat those stems with other rules related to hireq and tsere to which we will come later. It did seem odd to have a vowel stretch out to govern a later vowel. 

(You see how valuable you are as a sounding board - even when silent.)

The occurrences of patah in the code reduced by 14. The stems left with a rule based on patah preceding yod are none at all.

The third group is now much simpler.
  1. For stem ail, a||patah||i becomes aii for some distinct afix combinations,
  2. For stem qvm, with suffix 'ni', the initial closed syllable qi becomes qii,
  3. i||patah becomes ii for various stems, 
    1. one group, bliyl, din, iaw, igy, iin, ixb, yit will change it everywhere.
    2. the other group, ikl, ild, isr will ignore patah as governing a prefix, but change it elsewhere in the word. Prefix b is excluded from the processing.  This may change or become specific by stem.
I think I should give you an example for 3. The rule withstood my testing. It is quite straightforward. Here's psalm 6:2 with an error shown in red. The prefix should convert to tiisrni according to the maleh text at Mechon-Mamre. (All the Hebrew columns are software transformations of WLC available through the use of their web-service.) 

Psalms 6
יְֽהוָ֗ה אַל־בְּאַפְּךָ֥ תוֹכִיחֵ֑נִי
וְֽאַל־בַּחֲמָתְךָ֥ תְיַסְּרֵֽנִי
b ihvh al-bapç tocikni
val-bkmtç tisrni
ב יהוה אל־באפך תוכיחני
ואל־בחמתך תיסרני
2 Yahweh, do not in your anger correct me,
and do not in your heat chasten me.

So here it is after I corrected my code to include the stem /isr/.
Psalms 6
יְֽהוָ֗ה אַל־בְּאַפְּךָ֥ תוֹכִיחֵ֑נִי
וְֽאַל־בַּחֲמָתְךָ֥ תְיַסְּרֵֽנִי
b ihvh al-bapç tocikni
val-bkmtç tiisrni
ב יהוה אל־באפך תוכיחני
ואל־בחמתך תייסרני
2 Yahweh, do not in your anger correct me,
and do not in your heat chasten me.


No comments:

Post a Comment