Friday 28 August 2020

The Pentecost Project - some of the current initiatives

These are some exciting ideas on the go to create useful and beautiful liturgical music from the hand signals embedded in the text of the Hebrew Bible.

  1. The first project, Psalms 145:8-14 is planned for September. Resources are in place.
  2. Any funds I earn from my arrangements will be put to work in this area. ( I am waiting to hear how my piece from Ecclesiastes 3 did at the contest I submitted it to.)
  3. A proposal is expected for a performance of Ruth. I am working on chapter 2.
  4. A performer also wants to sing the whole book of Esther. This is more like an opera than a solo recitation. I have always wanted to write an opera! I thought my oratorio would be it but perhaps there is yet more to do as a composer.
  5. I am looking for composers, arrangers, and publishers who would like to contribute to the process. I hope people will realize just how full of potential this music of the Old Testament really is.
  6. I have lots of music already done that I hope to workshop, including the book of Jonah. I hope to work these possibilities over the next two years. The strange thing is, I have arranged pieces I have forgotten about already! Like this setting of Isaiah 61 for harp and soprano.
Other links on the blog related to the project are here.



No comments:

Post a Comment