There are a lot of mechanical things to do before you can really let the text speak and hope for a creative response in your 'self'. The translation has to be 'reviewed'. I do this is several stages:
- read it,
- pay attention to the questions that rise up in you,
- check the word and phrase usage in the one poem especially repeating roots, fix the ones that are wrong,
- rework the original translation post:
- a. translation,
- b. recurring roots and the glosses in this poem,
- c. below the horizontal line, any music
- d. delete the old list of all recurring roots, delete the old translation and transcription (stuff transcriptions except for individual phrases for readability in the text)
- e. take the resulting html which is a pile of junk and delete all the spurious stuff in it.
As I review each chapter in detail, I often discover serious concordance issues that must be addressed. Concordance is not the only factor but it is one that makes me search backwards and forwards to deal with textual allusions that I think must be allowed to stand in English.
So 20 days ago I was 32 poems ahead in draft of the published draft. Now I am 37 poems ahead. I have drafted a little over a third of the 'book' in three months. So I will probably be finished a full draft by Christmas 2011. Isn't that nice? Who wants to read and critique it? You are allowed to volunteer. There are fewer gross errors than there were three months ago.
You know why I am doing this, don't you? It is for the excellency of the knowledge of ...
נָכוֹן לִבִּי אֱלֹהִים
|My heart is set O God|
my heart is set
I will sing and I will make a psalm
עוּרָה הַנֵּבֶל וְכִנּוֹר
|Be roused my glory|
Be roused psaltery and harp
I will rouse the dawn
אוֹדְךָ בָעַמִּים אֲדֹנָי
|I will give thanks to you among the peoples O Lord|
I will sing a psalm among the tribes
כִּי גָדֹל עַד שָׁמַיִם חַסְדֶּךָ
וְעַד שְׁחָקִים אֲמִתֶּךָ
|for great to the heavens is your loving-kindness|
and to the clouds your truth
רוּמָה עַל הַשָּׁמַיִם אֱלֹהִים
עַל כָּל הָאָרֶץ כְּבוֹדֶךָ
|Be high in the heavens O God|
over all the earth your glory