Tuesday 24 August 2010

George Herbert - The Pulley

Against Psalm 131, as if anticipating the frame of Psalm 132, Neale cites George Herbert's The Pulley in its entirety

When God at first made man, 
Having a glasse of blessings standing by; 
Let us (said he) poure on him all we can: 
Let the worlds riches, which dispersed lie, 
Contract into a span. 

So strength first made a way; 
Then beautie flow’d, then wisdome, honour, pleasure: 
When almost all was out, God made a stay, 
Perceiving that alone of all his treasure 
Rest in the bottome lay. 

For if I should (said he) 
Bestow this jewell also on my creature, 
He would adore my gifts in stead of me, 
And rest in Nature, not the God of Nature: 
So both should losers be. 

Yet let him keep the rest, 
But keep them with repining restlesnesse: 
Let him be rich and wearie, that at least, 
If goodnesse leade him not, yet wearinesse 
May tosse him to my breast.




No comments:

Post a Comment