Saturday 14 August 2010

Book 3 - where are we

Well I've nearly been defeated by technology. Psalm 89 disappeared twice from the blogger editor. I think I must find a better editor  - the problem is they are the only ones who have any handle on right-to-left and left-to-right mixed processing.

Anyway - since our last summary, we have 'done' 11 psalms - three of them had no new frames. And they didn't seem to be recapitulation. Poems are like that - they are what they are at the time you read or sing them.

Again I continue to see apt new frames - never used before - for the subject of each psalm. I am wondering if there is a concentration of the word Adonai - Lord in recent psalms. There is an increase in usage and a decrease to come.
The use of  אדן by book - green where it recurs, red - individual count
A quick summary of the last poems of the children of Korah:
Psalm 79 - the pouring out, Jerusalem a heap of ruins - This one hits hard like Psalm 44 and the Lamentations
Psalm 80 - the rooted vine in tears - Here was where I got tangled in bloated html - and the syndicator would not post the psalm. Nearly discombobulated I was. I even published this one twice. You reader are very important - you keep me honest. I review my work and will continue to do so.
Psalm 81 - recapitulating a determined hope
Psalm 82 - judge in favour of the weak
Psalm 83 - no no no - not silence
Psalm 84 - the courts of יְהוָה
Psalm 85 - truth springs from the earth - so no magic numerology like chiastic accidental patterns please. And if you do this, listen to the check in your spirit that says: no, no, no this is not proof - this is embarrassing. - Now here's a thought - No God, no sin - but also no human, no God? No - even the stones are sufficient but the proof is in the beauty of observation that is accurate and stands the test of scrutiny.
The use of  ארץ by book - green where it recurs, red - individual count
Psalm 86 - but you - to be magnified in Psalm 89. Is it possible for the human to overcome diminishing resources? This prayer of David - the last of the ones in Books 2 and 3 - is very beautiful.
Psalm 87 - who was born here?
Psalm 88 - jammed in a pit - entombed, a dance
Psalm 89 - of faithfulness sworn - creation and covenant not profaned - I wonder too if there is some irony in some of the verses in this psalm. 
How will his children break my law
or fail to remain in my judgment?
How will they profane my statutes
or fail to keep my commandments?
I will attend to their transgression with the scepter
and with stripes their guilt!
but my loving kindness will not be frustrated in him
and will not be proven false in my faithfulness

Psalm 89 is said to sum up the failure of the monarchy. It lists with the corporate laments and the Maskilim - the great chunk of these final poems of Book 2 is still merging together in my mind. The nested divisions by attribution are only a partial help in resolving the coherence into a few words.
The use of אתה by book - green where it recurs, red - individual count
Perhaps Books 4 and 5 will provide some help - to which we now proceed.

Do Books 1-3 tend to emphasize the individual more than the congregation? One more graph:
The use of  אני by book - green where it recurs, red - individual count


No comments:

Post a Comment