Tuesday, 9 November 2021

Oratorio part 2 - recitative

I still don't know why these verses came up in this order for this oratorio. I wrote it experimentally a few years ago - I asked back in April 2019, that cruelest month, whether anyone would write me a hymn. No one did.

Somehow the whole oratorio formed itself around these 8 psalms 110-117 and drafted itself in a month. When I look at my blog to figure out what else I was doing at the time (such is memory in these days), I find I was thinking I might have to move and talking about downsizing again. Instead, I read Buddenbrooks, by Thomas Mann, a tour de force as the French would say (though probably not about a German book). I see that Claude Mariottini posted carnival 159 - 30 months ago. #189 is in process.

Here is the raw data for the second day. Again the performance of soprano Esther Lamandier illustrates how to sing recitative.

By the way, each one of these posts is a Rosetta stone for SimHebrew. Try it - learn to read Hebrew accurately in Latin script. You will get to sight recognition and sight-sound association much faster than with the square script (unless you grew up with the aleph-bet).

Genesis 1:6-8

Genesis 1:6-8, The Second Day, transcribed and arranged from the te'amim
Day 2
Syllables: 89. Words: 38. Roots: 20. Root Recurrence: 66%. Average per verse: 8.3.
alvh (3) amr at awr (2) bdl (2) bin (3) bqr cn hih (5) ivm mim (5) qra rqy (5) tkt tvc wmim wnh yl yrb ywh
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֱלֹהִ֔ים יְהִ֥י רָקִ֖יעַ בְּת֣וֹךְ הַמָּ֑יִם
וִיהִ֣י מַבְדִּ֔יל בֵּ֥ין מַ֖יִם לָמָֽיִם
6 And God said, Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters.
And let it be a differentiation between waters and waters.
v viamr alohim ihi rqiy btoç hmim
vihi mbdil bin mim lmim
16
9
vi/amr alh\im i/hi rqy b/tvc h/mim
vi/hi m/bdl bin mim l/mim
וַיַּ֣עַשׂ אֱלֹהִים֮ אֶת־הָרָקִיעַ֒ וַיַּבְדֵּ֗ל בֵּ֤ין הַמַּ֙יִם֙ אֲשֶׁר֙ מִתַּ֣חַת לָרָקִ֔יעַ וּבֵ֣ין הַמַּ֔יִם אֲשֶׁ֖ר מֵעַ֣ל לָרָקִ֑יעַ
וַֽיְהִי־כֵֽן
7 And God constructed the expanse and it differentiated between the waters that are under the expanse and between the waters that are over the expanse.
And it was so.
z viyw alohim at-hrqiy vibdl bin hmim awr mtkt lrqiy ubin hmim awr myl lrqiy
vihi-cn
38
3
vi/yw alh\im at h/rqy vi/bdl bin h/mim awr m/tkt l/rqy v/bin h/mim awr m/yl l/rqy
vi/hi cn
וַיִּקְרָ֧א אֱלֹהִ֛ים לָֽרָקִ֖יעַ שָׁמָ֑יִם
וַֽיְהִי־עֶ֥רֶב וַֽיְהִי־בֹ֖קֶר י֥וֹם שֵׁנִֽי פ
8 And God called the expanse heaven.
And it was evening and it was morning, the second day.
k viqra alohim lrqiy wmiim
vihi-yrb vihi-boqr iom wni p
13
10
vi/qra alh\im l/rqy wmim
vi/hi yrb vi/hi bqr ivm wn\i
Selected recurrence: alvh awr bdl bin hih mim rqy
Word / Gloss1234567VsStem
אלהים God
▒
6אלוה
יהי let there be
▒
6היה
רקיע an expanse
▒
6רקע
המים the waters
▒
6מים
ויהי and let it be
▒
6היה
מבדיל a differentiation
▒
6בדל
בין between
▒
6בין
מים waters
▒
6מים
למים and waters
▒
6מים
אלהים God
▒
7אלוה
הרקיע the expanse
▒
7רקע
ויבדל and it differentiated
▒
7בדל
בין between
▒
7בין
המים the waters
▒
7מים
אשר that
▒
7אשר
לרקיע the expanse
▒
7רקע
ובין and between
▒
7בין
המים the waters
▒
7מים
אשר that
▒
7אשר
לרקיע the expanse
▒
7רקע
ויהי and it was
▒
7היה
אלהים God
▒
8אלוה
לרקיע the expanse
▒
8רקע
ויהי and it was
▒
8היה
ויהי and it was
▒
8היה


No comments:

Post a Comment