Friday 25 August 2017

Ezekiel 14

I do not know this book. Somehow it never comes up in the readings I have been exposed to over the last several decades. Ezekiel has the phrase my Lord Yahweh 217 times. Adonai Hashem would get around the prohibition of speaking the Holy Name. 81 of these are in the phrase נאם אדני יהוה, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh. Traditional translations consider נאם as a verb. Because I translated the Psalms first, I saw this word exactly twice in the Psalter (Psalms 36 and 110) at a significant structural point. They are mirror images preceding the last and the first of the four acrostics in Books 1 and 5 respectively. So I render it as oracle rather than a variant of say (אמר). Where Ezekiel has נאם אדני frequently, the phrase נאם יהוה is most common in Jeremiah (168) and Zechariah (20). Putting LORD in caps obscures the differences in style for the different authors.

Word order question: אֶ֚רֶץ כִּ֤י תֶחֱטָא־לִי֙, verse 13 - it's an odd placement of the first word (land) before the relative connector, and without the definite article. And while against is not impossible for ל, it is rare (1 in 200 so far). I wonder if it is an awkward conversation and לי should be read as my or mine, displaced from its object land.

Ezekiel 14 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיָּב֤וֹא אֵלַי֙ אֲנָשִׁ֔ים מִזִּקְנֵ֖י יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
וַיֵּשְׁב֖וּ לְפָנָֽי
1 And some came in to me from the elders of Israel,
and they sat before me.
3e 4C 14
6
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 2 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g 10
בֶּן־אָדָ֗ם הָאֲנָשִׁ֤ים הָאֵ֙לֶּה֙ הֶעֱל֤וּ גִלּֽוּלֵיהֶם֙ עַל־לִבָּ֔ם וּמִכְשׁ֣וֹל עֲוֺנָ֔ם נָתְנ֖וּ נֹ֣כַח פְּנֵיהֶ֑ם
הַאִדָּרֹ֥שׁ אִדָּרֵ֖שׁ לָהֶֽם
3 Child of humanity, these persons have brought up their figurines upon their heart, and the stumbling-block of their iniquity they have demonstrated opposite their faces.
Should I be searched out by them?
3e 4C 33
9
לָכֵ֣ן דַּבֵּר־א֠וֹתָם וְאָמַרְתָּ֨ אֲלֵיהֶ֜ם כֹּה־אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה אִ֣ישׁ אִ֣ישׁ מִבֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֡ל אֲשֶׁר֩ יַעֲלֶ֨ה אֶת־גִּלּוּלָ֜יו אֶל־לִבּ֗וֹ וּמִכְשׁ֤וֹל עֲוֺנוֹ֙ יָשִׂים֙ נֹ֣כַח פָּנָ֔יו וּבָ֖א אֶל־הַנָּבִ֑יא
אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֗ה נַעֲנֵ֧יתִי ל֦וֹ בָ֖א בְּרֹ֥ב גִּלּוּלָֽיו
4 Therefore speak to them and you say to them, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Any person from the house of Israel who brings up its figurine to its heart, and sets the stumbling-block of its iniquity opposite its face, and comes to the prophet,
I, Yahweh, I will answer it coming in the abundance of its figurine.
3c 4C 58
15
לְמַ֛עַן תְּפֹ֥שׂ אֶת־בֵּֽית־יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל בְּלִבָּ֑ם
אֲשֶׁ֤ר נָזֹ֙רוּ֙ מֵֽעָלַ֔י בְּגִלּֽוּלֵיהֶ֖ם כֻּלָּֽם
5 So that I may occupy the house of Israel in their heart,
who are estranged from me through their figurines, all of them.
3d 4C 13
15
לָכֵ֞ן אֱמֹ֣ר ׀ אֶל־בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה שׁ֣וּבוּ וְהָשִׁ֔יבוּ מֵעַ֖ל גִּלּֽוּלֵיכֶ֑ם
וּמֵעַ֥ל כָּל־תּוֹעֲבֹתֵיכֶ֖ם הָשִׁ֥יבוּ פְנֵיכֶֽם
6 Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Turn that you may turn from your figurines,
and from over all your abominations, turn your faces.
3e 4C 29
15
כִּי֩ אִ֨ישׁ אִ֜ישׁ מִבֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל וּמֵהַגֵּר֮ אֲשֶׁר־יָג֣וּר בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וְיִנָּזֵ֣ר מֵֽאַחֲרַ֗י וְיַ֤עַל גִּלּוּלָיו֙ אֶל־לִבּ֔וֹ וּמִכְשׁ֣וֹל עֲוֺנ֔וֹ יָשִׂ֖ים נֹ֣כַח פָּנָ֑יו
וּבָ֤א אֶל־הַנָּבִיא֙ לִדְרָשׁ־ל֣וֹ בִ֔י אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֔ה נַֽעֲנֶה־לּ֖וֹ בִּֽי
7 For any person from the house of Israel, or from the guests that reside in Israel, that abstains from following me, and brings up its figurine to its heart, and the stumbling-block of its iniquity sets opposite its face,
and it comes to the prophet to search out to him in me, I, Yahweh, will answer it in me.
3e 4C 49
19
וְנָתַתִּ֨י פָנַ֜י בָּאִ֣ישׁ הַה֗וּא וַהֲשִֽׂמֹתִ֙יהוּ֙ לְא֣וֹת וְלִמְשָׁלִ֔ים וְהִכְרַתִּ֖יו מִתּ֣וֹךְ עַמִּ֑י
וִֽידַעְתֶּ֖ם כִּֽי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
8 I will position my face against that person and will stun it for a sign and for a proverb, and I will cut it off from the midst of my people,
and you will know that I am Yahweh.
3e 4B 30
7
וְהַנָּבִ֤יא כִֽי־יְפֻתֶּה֙ וְדִבֶּ֣ר דָּבָ֔ר אֲנִ֤י יְהוָה֙ פִּתֵּ֔יתִי אֵ֖ת הַנָּבִ֣יא הַה֑וּא
וְנָטִ֤יתִי אֶת־יָדִי֙ עָלָ֔יו וְהִ֨שְׁמַדְתִּ֔יו מִתּ֖וֹךְ עַמִּ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
9 And the prophet that is seduced and speaks a word, I ,Yahweh, have seduced that prophet,
and I will stretch out my hand over him and I will exterminate him from the midst of my people Israel.
3e 4C 26
20
וְנָשְׂא֖וּ עֲוֺנָ֑ם
כַּֽעֲוֺן֙ הַדֹּרֵ֔שׁ כַּעֲוֺ֥ן הַנָּבִ֖יא יִֽהְיֶֽה
10 And they will bear their iniquity.
As the iniquity of those searching, so is the iniquity of the prophet.
3e 4A 6
14
לְ֠מַעַן לֹֽא־יִתְע֨וּ ע֤וֹד בֵּֽית־יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ מֵאַֽחֲרַ֔י וְלֹֽא־יִטַּמְּא֥וּ ע֖וֹד בְּכָל־פִּשְׁעֵיהֶ֑ם
וְהָ֥יוּ לִ֣י לְעָ֗ם וַֽאֲנִי֙ אֶהְיֶ֤ה לָהֶם֙ לֵֽאלֹהִ֔ים נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
11 ~ So that they will not wander any more, the house of Israel, from following me, and not be unclean any more in all their transgressions,
and they will be my people and I myself will become their God. An oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4C 25
23
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר 12 And the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying, 3e 3g 10
בֶּן־אָדָ֗ם אֶ֚רֶץ כִּ֤י תֶחֱטָא־לִי֙ לִמְעָל־מַ֔עַל וְנָטִ֤יתִי יָדִי֙ עָלֶ֔יהָ וְשָׁבַ֥רְתִּי לָ֖הּ מַטֵּה־לָ֑חֶם
וְהִשְׁלַחְתִּי־בָ֣הּ רָעָ֔ב וְהִכְרַתִּ֥י מִמֶּ֖נָּה אָדָ֥ם וּבְהֵמָֽה
13 Child of humanity, land, when it sins against me, to trespass, a trespass, I will stretch out my hand over it, and I will break its branch of bread,
and I will send into it a famine, and I will cut off from it human and animal.
3e 4C 32
19
וְ֠הָיוּ שְׁלֹ֨שֶׁת הָאֲנָשִׁ֤ים הָאֵ֙לֶּה֙ בְּתוֹכָ֔הּ נֹ֖חַ דָּנִיֵּ֣אל וְאִיּ֑וֹב
הֵ֤מָּה בְצִדְקָתָם֙ יְנַצְּל֣וּ נַפְשָׁ֔ם נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
14 ~ Though these three persons were in its midst, Noah, Daniel, and Job,
they in their righteousness would deliver themselves. An oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4C 25
18
לֽוּ־חַיָּ֥ה רָעָ֛ה אַעֲבִ֥יר בָּאָ֖רֶץ וְשִׁכְּלָ֑תָּה
וְהָיְתָ֤ה שְׁמָמָה֙ מִבְּלִ֣י עוֹבֵ֔ר מִפְּנֵ֖י הַחַיָּֽה
15 Supposing an evil animal passes through the land and bereaves it,
and it has become desolate. Nary a one passes by in the presence of the animal.
3d 4C 14
15
שְׁלֹ֨שֶׁת הָאֲנָשִׁ֣ים הָאֵלֶּה֮ בְּתוֹכָהּ֒ חַי־אָ֗נִי נְאֻם֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה אִם־בָּנִ֥ים וְאִם־בָּנ֖וֹת יַצִּ֑ילוּ
הֵ֤מָּה לְבַדָּם֙ יִנָּצֵ֔לוּ וְהָאָ֖רֶץ תִּהְיֶ֥ה שְׁמָמָֽה
16 These three persons in its midst, I, Living, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh, neither sons nor daughters would they deliver.
They alone would be delivered and the land will be desolate.
3e 4C 32
18
א֛וֹ חֶ֥רֶב אָבִ֖יא עַל־הָאָ֣רֶץ הַהִ֑יא
וְאָמַרְתִּ֗י חֶ֚רֶב תַּעֲבֹ֣ר בָּאָ֔רֶץ וְהִכְרַתִּ֥י מִמֶּ֖נָּה אָדָ֥ם וּבְהֵמָֽה
17 d Or a sword I bring against that land,
and I say, Sword, pass through in the land and I will cut off from it human and animal.
3d 4C 11
24
וּשְׁלֹ֨שֶׁת הָאֲנָשִׁ֣ים הָאֵלֶּה֮ בְּתוֹכָהּ֒ חַי־אָ֗נִי נְאֻם֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה לֹ֥א יַצִּ֖ילוּ בָּנִ֣ים וּבָנ֑וֹת
כִּ֛י הֵ֥ם לְבַדָּ֖ם יִנָּצֵֽלוּ
18 And these three persons were in its midst, I, Living, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh, they would not deliver sons or daughters,
for they, they alone will be delivered.
3d 4B 31
9
א֛וֹ דֶּ֥בֶר אֲשַׁלַּ֖ח אֶל־הָאָ֣רֶץ הַהִ֑יא
וְשָׁפַכְתִּ֨י חֲמָתִ֤י עָלֶ֙יהָ֙ בְּדָ֔ם לְהַכְרִ֥ית מִמֶּ֖נָּה אָדָ֥ם וּבְהֵמָֽה
19 d Or pestilence I send out to that land,
and I pour out my heat over it in blood to cut off from it human and beast.
3d 4C 12
23
וְנֹ֨חַ דָּנִיֵּ֣אל וְאִיּוֹב֮ בְּתוֹכָהּ֒ חַי־אָ֗נִי נְאֻם֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה אִם־בֵּ֥ן אִם־בַּ֖ת יַצִּ֑ילוּ
הֵ֥מָּה בְצִדְקָתָ֖ם יַצִּ֥ילוּ נַפְשָֽׁם
20 But Noah Daniel and Job are in its midst. I, Living, an oracle of my Lord Yahweh. Neither son nor daughter would they deliver.
They in their righteousness would deliver themselves.
3e 4B 29
11
כִּי֩ כֹ֨ה אָמַ֜ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהֹוִ֗ה אַ֣ף כִּֽי־אַרְבַּ֣עַת שְׁפָטַ֣י ׀ הָרָעִ֡ים חֶ֠רֶב וְרָעָ֞ב וְחַיָּ֤ה רָעָה֙ וָדֶ֔בֶר שִׁלַּ֖חְתִּי אֶל־יְרוּשָׁלִָ֑ם
לְהַכְרִ֥ית מִמֶּ֖נָּה אָדָ֥ם וּבְהֵמָֽה
21 For thus says my Lord Yahweh, Indeed, for four judgments of evil, sword, and famine, and evil animal and pestilence, I send to Jerusalem,
to cut off from her, human and beast.
3e 4C 42
11
וְהִנֵּ֨ה נֽוֹתְרָה־בָּ֜הּ פְּלֵטָ֗ה הַֽמּוּצָאִים֮ בָּנִ֣ים וּבָנוֹת֒ הִנָּם֙ יוֹצְאִ֣ים אֲלֵיכֶ֔ם וּרְאִיתֶ֥ם אֶת־דַּרְכָּ֖ם וְאֶת־עֲלִֽילוֹתָ֑ם
וְנִחַמְתֶּ֗ם עַל־הָֽרָעָה֙ אֲשֶׁ֤ר הֵבֵ֙אתִי֙ עַל־יְר֣וּשָׁלִַ֔ם אֵ֛ת כָּל־אֲשֶׁ֥ר הֵבֵ֖אתִי עָלֶֽיהָ
22 Yet behold, there will remain in it secure, that will be brought forth, sons and daughters. Behold, they will come forth to you, and you will see their way and their practices,
and you will be comforted against the evil that I have brought against Jerusalem, even all that I have brought against her.
3d 4C 37
28
וְנִחֲמ֣וּ אֶתְכֶ֔ם כִּֽי־תִרְא֥וּ אֶת־דַּרְכָּ֖ם וְאֶת־עֲלִֽילוֹתָ֑ם
וִֽידַעְתֶּ֗ם כִּי֩ לֹ֨א חִנָּ֤ם עָשִׂ֙יתִי֙ אֵ֣ת כָּל־אֲשֶׁר־עָשִׂ֣יתִי בָ֔הּ נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהֹוִֽה
23 And they will comfort you, for you will see their way and their practices,
and you will know that not for nothing have I done all that I have done in her. An oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4C 18
26


No comments:

Post a Comment