Friday 4 November 2011

Working on Psalm 71

I've been busy - so busy my blog doesn't even show up on my list of most frequently used pages!

If you can take time to read the following, I think you might agree that using recurrence as a means of deciding the higher level subdivisions of a longish psalm is helpful.  Smaller tables make it very easy to see the patterns. Verses 8-15 are a surprise to me but I suspect that for the long psalms I will see more of these patterns if I persevere in using the measuring rod I have.  And I think it is likely that I am also seeing the inner workings of the poetic mind of 2500 years ago.  So scan the psalm and glance at the patterns in the tables that follow.

Ashamed and your righteousness frame the poem as a whole. The content of the poem divides into 4 groups.

Verses 1-7: the poet expresses confidence to יְהוָה - this section is framed by refuge
Verses 8-15: framed by mouth and praise
Verses 16-18: framed by come and valour
Verses 19-24: framed by righteousness

Personally, I think recurrence is more objective than either parallelism or prosody in determining larger structures. For the tools see here. [This post is a curious mixture of the old and the new. My old approach to prosody did not use the music as much as it does now. 2021]

Psalm 71 - the declarations of youth and age [Updated March 24,2021]
Psalms 71 Fn Min Max Syll
בְּךָֽ־יְהוָ֥ה חָסִ֑יתִי
אַל־אֵב֥וֹשָׁה לְעוֹלָֽם
1 In you Yahweh I take refuge.
I will never be ashamed.
3e 4A 8
7
בְּצִדְקָתְךָ֗ תַּצִּילֵ֥נִי וּֽתְפַלְּטֵ֑נִי
הַטֵּֽה־אֵלַ֥י אָ֝זְנְךָ֗ וְהוֹשִׁיעֵֽנִי
2 In your righteousness you will deliver me and you will secure me.
Bend to me your ear and save me.
3e 4A 12
12
הֱיֵ֤ה לִ֨י ׀ לְצ֥וּר מָע֡וֹן לָב֗וֹא תָּמִ֗יד צִוִּ֥יתָ לְהוֹשִׁיעֵ֑נִי
כִּֽי־סַלְעִ֖י וּמְצוּדָתִ֣י אָֽתָּה
3 Be to me a rock, a habitation to come to continually. You have commanded that I be saved,
for my cliff and my fortress you are.

3e 4C 19
9
אֱ‍ֽלֹהַ֗י פַּ֭לְּטֵנִי מִיַּ֣ד רָשָׁ֑ע
מִכַּ֖ף מְעַוֵּ֣ל וְחוֹמֵץ
4 O my God, secure me from the hand of the wicked,
from the palm, from an unjust and sour person.
3e 4B 9
8
כִּֽי־אַתָּ֥ה תִקְוָתִ֑י
אֲדֹנָ֥י יְ֝הוִ֗ה מִבְטַחִ֥י מִנְּעוּרָֽי
5 For you I wait,
O Lord Yahweh, from my trust, from my youth.
3e 4A 5
11
עָלֶ֤יךָ ׀ נִסְמַ֬כְתִּי מִבֶּ֗טֶן מִמְּעֵ֣י אִ֭מִּי אַתָּ֣ה גוֹזִ֑י
בְּךָ֖ תְהִלָּתִ֣י תָמִֽיד
6 By you I have been supported from the belly. From the inner parts of my mother you yourself severed me.
In you is my praise continually.
3e 4C 17
8
כְּ֭מוֹפֵת הָיִ֣יתִי לְרַבִּ֑ים
וְ֝אַתָּ֗ה מַֽחֲסִי־עֹֽז
7 I have become as a portent to many,
but you are my strong refuge.
g 3e 4B 9
7
יִמָּ֣לֵא פִ֭י תְּהִלָּתֶ֑ךָ
כָּל־הַ֝יּ֗וֹם תִּפְאַרְתֶּֽךָ
8 Let my mouth be filled with your praise,
all the day long your adornment.

3e 4B 9
7
אַֽל־תַּ֭שְׁלִיכֵנִי לְעֵ֣ת זִקְנָ֑ה
כִּכְל֥וֹת כֹּ֝חִ֗י אַֽל־תַּעַזְבֵֽנִי
9 Do not cast me off in the time of old age,
when my power is consumed, do not forsake me.
3e 4B 9
9
כִּֽי־אָמְר֣וּ אוֹיְבַ֣י לִ֑י
וְשֹׁמְרֵ֥י נַ֝פְשִׁ֗י נוֹעֲצ֥וּ יַחְדָּֽו
10 For my enemies talk of me,
and watching for my being, they conspire as one.
3e 4B 6
10
לֵ֭אמֹר אֱלֹהִ֣ים עֲזָב֑וֹ
רִֽדְפ֥וּ וְ֝תִפְשׂ֗וּהוּ כִּי־אֵ֥ין מַצִּֽיל
11 Saying, God has forsaken him.
Pursue him and arrest him, for there is none to deliver.

g 3e 4B 8
10
אֱ֭לֹהִים אַל־תִּרְחַ֣ק מִמֶּ֑נִּי
אֱ֝לֹהַ֗י לְעֶזְרָ֥תִי חֽוּשָׁה
12 O God do not be distant from me,
My God to my help hurry.
g 3e 4B 9
9
יֵבֹ֣שׁוּ יִכְלוּ֮ שֹׂטְנֵ֪י נַ֫פְשִׁ֥י
יַֽעֲט֣וּ חֶ֭רְפָּה וּכְלִמָּ֑ה
מְ֝בַקְשֵׁ֗י רָעָתִֽי
13 Let the accusers of my being be ashamed and consumed,
let them wrap themselves with reproach and humiliation,
who seek my hurt.

3d 4B 9
8
6
וַ֭אֲנִי תָּמִ֣יד אֲיַחֵ֑ל
וְ֝הוֹסַפְתִּ֗י עַל־כָּל־תְּהִלָּתֶֽךָ
14 but I continually will hope,
and I will repeatedly add to all your praises.
g 3e 4B 8
11
פִּ֤י ׀ יְסַפֵּ֬ר צִדְקָתֶ֗ךָ כָּל־הַיּ֥וֹם תְּשׁוּעָתֶ֑ךָ
כִּ֤י לֹ֖א יָדַ֣עְתִּי סְפֹרֽוֹת
15 my mouth will recount your righteousness, all the day long your salvation,
for I do not know the counts.
C 3e 4C 16
8
אָב֗וֹא בִּ֭גְבֻרוֹת אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
אַזְכִּ֖יר צִדְקָתְךָ֣ לְבַדֶּֽךָ
16 I will come in valour, O Lord, Yahweh.
I will remember your righteousness, yours alone.
3e 4B 10
9
אֱ‍ֽלֹהִ֗ים לִמַּדְתַּ֥נִי מִנְּעוּרָ֑י
וְעַד־הֵ֝֗נָּה אַגִּ֥יד נִפְלְאוֹתֶֽיךָ
17 O God, you have taught me from my youth,
and till now I have announced your wonderful works.
3e 4A 9
11
וְגַ֤ם עַד־זִקְנָ֨ה ׀ וְשֵׂיבָה֮ אֱלֹהִ֪ים אַֽל־תַּעַ֫זְבֵ֥נִי
עַד־אַגִּ֣יד זְרוֹעֲךָ֣ לְד֑וֹר
לְכָל־יָ֝ב֗וֹא גְּבוּרָתֶֽךָ
18 And even to old age and grey-hair, O God do not forsake me,
till I have announced your arm to a generation,
to all who come, your valour.

3d 4C 16
9
9
וְצִדְקָתְךָ֥ אֱלֹהִ֗ים עַד־מָ֫ר֥וֹם
אֲשֶׁר־עָשִׂ֥יתָ גְדֹל֑וֹת
אֱ֝לֹהִ֗ים מִ֣י כָמֽוֹךָ
19 And your righteousness O God is ever high,
who has done great things.
O God, who is like you?
3e 4B 10
8
7
אֲשֶׁ֤ר הִרְאִיתַ֨נִי ׀ צָר֥וֹת רַבּ֗וֹת וְרָ֫ע֥וֹת
תָּשׁ֥וּב תְּחַיֵּ֑ינִי
וּֽמִתְּהֹמ֥וֹת הָ֝אָ֗רֶץ תָּשׁ֥וּב תַּעֲלֵֽנִי
20 Who showed me many and hurtful troubles,
you will turn and give me life,
and from the abysses of the earth, you will turn and make me ascend.
3e 4C 13
6
13
תֶּ֤רֶב ׀ גְּֽדֻלָּתִ֗י וְתִסֹּ֥ב תְּֽנַחֲמֵֽנִי 21 You will increase my greatness and you will surround and comfort me.

C 3e 4C 14
גַּם־אֲנִ֤י ׀ אוֹדְךָ֣ בִכְלִי־נֶבֶל֮ אֲמִתְּךָ֪ אֱלֹ֫הָ֥י
אֲזַמְּרָ֣ה לְךָ֣ בְכִנּ֑וֹר
קְ֝ד֗וֹשׁ יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
22 Even I, I will give thanks to you in this senseless instrument, your truth O my God.
I will sing a psalm to you on a harp,
the Holy One of Israel.
3d 4C 14
8
5
תְּרַנֵּ֣נָּ֣ה שְׂ֭פָתַי כִּ֣י אֲזַמְּרָה־לָּ֑ךְ
וְ֝נַפְשִׁ֗י אֲשֶׁ֣ר פָּדִֽיתָ
23 My lips will shout for joy for I will sing a psalm to you,
and my being which you have ransomed.
3e 4B 12
8
גַּם־לְשׁוֹנִ֗י כָּל־הַ֭יּוֹם תֶּהְגֶּ֣ה צִדְקָתֶ֑ךָ
כִּי־בֹ֥שׁוּ כִֽי־חָ֝פְר֗וּ מְבַקְשֵׁ֥י רָעָתִֽי
24 Even my tongue all the day long will meditate on your righteousness,
for they are shamed, for they are disappointed who seek my hurt.
3e 4B 13
11
Notes by verse
4the repeated from (mem) in verses 4 to 6 is accurate as to sound and structure.
16I have chosen words related to valiant, valour, and prevail for all words with the root גבר
22skin נבל (nbl) as instrument,I chose lute (also could be guitar, psaltery, etc), but here it seems like a joke, meaning the foolishness of the not senseless (נבל) skin of the poet, i.e. the instrument that is the body itself.
Selected recurring words (1-7)
Word and gloss * first usage1234567VsRoot
בך in you
1בך
חסיתי I take refuge
1חסה
ותפלטני and you will secure me
2פלט
והושׁיעני and save me
2ישׁע
היה be
3היה
תמיד continually
3תמיד
להושׁיעני that I be saved
3ישׁע
אתה you are
3אתה
פלטני secure me
4פלט
אתה you are
5אתה
אתה you yourself
6אתה
בך in you
6בך
תמיד continually
6תמיד
הייתי I have become
7היה
ואתה for you
7אתה
מחסי are my refuge
7חסה
Selected recurring words (8-15)
Word and gloss * first usage123456789VsRoot
פי my mouth
8פה
תהלתך your praise
8הלל
כל every
8כל
היום day
8יום
ככלות when is consumed
9כלה
תעזבני do forsake be
9עזב
אמרו say
10אמר
נפשׁי my being
10נפשׁ
לאמר saying
11אמר
עזבו has forsaken him
11עזב
יכלו and consumed
13כלה
נפשׁי my being
13נפשׁ
כל all
14כל
תהלתך your praises
14הלל
פי my mouth
15פה
יספר will recount
15ספר
כל every
15כל
היום day
15יום
ספרות the counts
15ספר
Selected recurring words (16-18)
Word and gloss * first usage1234VsRoot
אבוא I will go
16בוא
בגברות in valour
16גבר
ועד and till
17עד
אגיד I have announced
17נגד
עד to
18עד
עד till
18עד
אגיד I have announced
18נגד
יבוא who come
18בוא
גבורתך your valour
18גבר
Selected recurring words (19-24)
Word and gloss * first usage12345678VsRoot
וצדקתך and your righteousness
19צדק
אשׁר who
19אשׁר
גדלות great things
19גדל
אשׁר who
20אשׁר
ורעות and evil
20רע
תשׁוב you will turn
20שׁוב
תשׁוב you will turn
20שׁוב
גדלתי my greatness
21גדל
גם also
22גם
אזמרה I will sing a psalm
22זמר
לך to you
22לך
אזמרה I will sing a psalm
23זמר
לך to you
23לך
אשׁר which
23אשׁר
גם even
24גם
צדקתך your righteousness
24צדק
רעתי my hurt
24רע




No comments:

Post a Comment