Sunday 30 January 2011

Is new inclusive or exclusive, is ἐν incorporating

A thorough post on the use of the Septuagint in Ephesians here. I do not agree with the way the conclusions are expressed but perhaps it depends on how I read new in the phrase new Israel. Later in the post he expresses the incorporation image somewhat better.
the terms Χριστω and ηγαπημενος are used as incorporating (ἐν) terms. Regarding the former, N.T. Wright says, “I suggest, in other words, that Paul uses ‘Christ’ here as a shorthand way of referring to that unity and completeness, and mutual participation, which belongs to the church that is found ‘in Christ’, that is, in fact, the people of the Messiah” (Climax of the Covenant, 54; cf. 46).
John Hobbins has summarized posts from 2007 on the canon here. He has a nice open line:
God has left himself a reliable witness among the people he has called and gifted at various times and in various ways.
Jim Gordon liked the King's Speech for some beautifully expressed reasons.

Jim has heard rightly. John raises the question "Whether the scriptures are heard rightly, of course, is a separate question.".  When I read about careful argumentative reasoning, I wonder what is being heard. True though that many do not understand what I write. Understanding me is neither the problem nor the solution.

I am / we are in the realm that belongs to a discourse based on something other than precision or accuracy. There is meaning to be sure, but not one that improves on the good that is its foundation in knowledge in the holiness that is in God and that was demonstrated in the flesh in the death and resurrection of the anointed Jesus.

Christ as a shorthand is a nice idea. Thank you NTW.


5 comments:

  1. Odd,

    I understand you much better than those others you linked in your post.

    "we are in the realm that belongs to a discourse based on something other than precision or accuracy"

    Keep calling to Him and telling us what you hear:

    "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." Jer 33:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gem, Indeed the things are unsearchable but I keep on digging. I may not always hear what people would like to hear. (But neither did the lad, Samuel, that was in my reading yesterday.) I try to avoid distracting questions, but feel free to comment on any aspect of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious that I would use the metaphor of digging - it's having my ear dug by the-one-who-is-not-me-but-another that matters. I am just working on psalm 40. LXX has 'a body you have prepared for me', MT has 'an ear you have dug for me'. I must not depend on my own methodology, and must not rush in my work so that I can hear it the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a ruminator too. I think that's why I like reading here. It's very peaceful and thoughtful and gives me food for thought.

    While booklearning and precise analysis has a place, it can also distract.

    Wrestling with the passage.
    Calling out to Him to ask Him what does it mean?
    and really listening to what God is saying there:
    Does this way of reading it make any sense? Does it fit with His character?

    ruminating

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. It fits. Growth cannot be rushed. I am so heartened that you find food for thought here. Food also enables growth that is material and tangible, audible, visible - as John notes at both the beginning of his gospel and at the beginning of the first letter. Growing in the-one-whose-name-is-an-oil-poured-out, we are known therein.

    ReplyDelete