Tuesday 28 September 2010

Qumran Examples - three similar scribal differences

These next three all appear to be a scribal substitution of a yod י for a vav ו. In each case the difference looks like it is only a matter of a half stroke or a full stroke.

22:16 (17 MT) lion or pierce
MT כִּי סְבָבוּנִי כְּלָבִים עֲדַת מְרֵעִים הִקִּיפוּנִי כָּאֲרִי יָדַי וְרַגְלָֽי

For dogs circled me
An assembly of evildoers enclosed me
like a lion my hands and my feet

XHev כי סבבוני כלבי]ם עדת מרעים הקיפונו כארו ידי ורגלי]

[For dog]s [circled me]
An assembly of evildoers enclosed me
They gouge my hands and my feet

This is a sensitive verse and has been the source of polemic and blame. A detailed analysis is here - curious that this page has just appeared. The home page appears to be dated today.

102:24 (23 English) my or his strength
MT עִנָּה בַדֶּרֶךְ כחו קִצַּר יָמָֽי
4QPs-b ענה בד[רך] כחי קצר ימי

The MT already recognizes this scribal problem as a necessary change. What is written (ketiv) is vav, what is read (qere) is yod.

145:5 they or I will speak - here, although the same class of problem, the context of the psalm would (perhaps) prefer the plural rather than the singular and there is no recognition of a ketiv/qere (written/read) pair as above. The Qumran text of the psalm also has a refrain: Praise יהוה and bless his name always and for ever. Note the spelling difference too.

MT הֲדַר כְּבֹוד הֹודֶךָ וְדִבְרֵי נִפְלְאֹותֶיךָ אָשִֽׂיחָה
11QPs-a הדר כבוד הודכה ודברו נפלאותיך אשיחה
Honor, glory, your vigour they speak
and of your wonderful works

I don't understand everything - but I read the handout - so bravo for the conference speaker for having one.

No comments:

Post a Comment