Saturday 10 July 2010

Till by turning, turning, we come round right

Kurk Gayle has a delightful post on spin here. His memory reaches back to other bloggers and other years in the blog-world. Power is mentioned.

You might recognize, best Beloved, (as Kipling was wont to address his reader), the title of my post from the Shaker song so beautifully set by Aaron Copland in his Appalachian Spring. Here it is played by Yo-yo Mah and sung by Allison Kraus.

Kurk's post is personal and touching. Though it plays with language, it suggests that we can and do reach deeper in our use thereof. Perhaps we are not aware of our spin or our power. Can we hear what we spin? And as important, can we hear what another spins?

There are many questions that come up in the life of a single human. Some are worth discussion and some are discussions that are distracting.The story of the Adam is one where some discussions are distracting - like the creation-evolution argument. The argument must be made, but do not let it distract you from the power of the myth of that garden and the unified word of יְהוָה אֱלֹהִים that is evident. Don't be upset that you don't understand Hebrew. Even if I translated those words - Adonai Elohim, or Hashem Elohim, or the Lord God, you would not understand them. They are not there to be understood but rather that you should be known.

Ken has a post on special creation here, another distraction. You, we, they, are, best Beloved, in this power, special, because the light is good. And for no other reason. I.e. for no reason, for what I have cited as reason is not reason. Nevertheless, even the atheist knows what is good. Special creation of the human is a distraction. What if יְהוָה אֱלֹהִים, surprise, knows also the beasts, and the creepy crawlies, and the birds, yea, even the Hippo (so Job, perhaps). Does יְהוָה אֱלֹהִים know you, best Beloved? Or do you still hide behind the paper wall of your theological fig-leaves?

This post could go in many directions - like where Doug has taken it, but I prefer not to respond directly to the stupidity power seeking of understanding and control. Piper and all in the tradition that he thinks he stands in can take such misreading meandering self-justifications elsewhere than into my spirit. I need not leave Hamelin pie-eyed, for his own specially created cliff. I prefer to take the direction of the turn from Moses. Psalm 90, the psalm of turning, plays on our turning and the turning of אֱלֹהִים. This psalm even plays on the turning of a single word, a word turned on itself that works as dwelling place and beauty. Even the atheist knows a good thing when it is seen. Find me an English turn of phrase that will capture this letter play. Go to the link to see the turning of נֹעַם from מָעוֹן.

How long, how long, אֲדֹנָי אֱלֹהֵינוּ must we put up with this distracted generation?

3 comments:

  1. I prefer "transition" to distraction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken - I didn't mean your post as a distraction but the argument concerning 'special' creation of the Adam. I see I will have to address this head on. I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good stimulus, Ken. Your term transition worked in me for 24 hours and I saw the possibility of a positive outcome. My difficulty remained, though, that doctrine enforced is not the love of God - either subjective or objective, but the need for status, power, knowledge, and status quo for humans. So much damage is done by the imposition of doctrine that one needs great patience and compassion to put up with it. In your comments at Clayboy I see where you are coming from. I should perhaps learn to be a part of the dispute. I hesitate to give it the name of conversation.

    ReplyDelete