Saturday 17 August 2024

The fun in the Hebrew accents - fugato zarqa table without the zarqa

 I did say we would have fun. (And we are only using the symbols under the text so far.) A few of you are reading these last few posts. I asked myself whether the art of the fugue could teach me something that could be applied to the accents under the text. I have tried imitative entry style with the music before but never with such a restraint that every voice should behave correctly with the accents -- so each voice must only move when the accent under the text says the note is changed. 

[Further note: I will leave the unintended contrapuntal accident in this post but I am working on both simpler and more comprehensive versions. The levels of error are many in my work. I have dozens of tabs open each with different capacity - some handle music, some Hebrew well, some Hebrew poorly. Some I can adjust an accent without using the numeric keyboard and some just get the placement wrong. Some convert Unicode to Hebrew easily and some not at all. Writing this musical exercise is difficult for me and frequently stumps me so I have to leave it and come back later. I will be updating the Unicode tables also to aid anyone else using a music program in playing with these ideas. Nevertheless...]

Get some friends together and sing this zarqa table fugato based on Genesis 1:1 (without a zarqa of course since that is not an accent under the text). I think I managed to use all the accents under the text -- but not in every part. We start in unison.

The statement of the subject.

Now the fun begins - just a few notes at first. Then the tenor states the subject again -- not on the dominant because some of those notes would be unreachable within this music scape. But surprise, the subject is sung in canon with the tenor by the alto.

Canon at the octave
Modulation to another mode! Watch for the g natural. And entry of the subject on the sixth in the bass.

Soprano hemiola and inverted pedal point

Returning to the tonic. (Whew. I'm not happy with this yet -- I want an entry in augmentation and I have it, but I need to loosen one restriction and allow more accents on the first syllable of each Do-Re-Mi). Just wait till we get all the accents together! (Here's the fugue in its lets-not-mess-with-it-any-more form.)







No comments:

Post a Comment