Thursday 29 August 2024

Mercha-tifha table of rarely used accent combinations

The more I work with my tables, the higher my confidence that I have found all my errors. So I will now look at the reciting notes, merkha and d'khi / tifha that rarely host ornaments.

My statistics (updated yet again) all assume the default mode. In the 21 books, f (mercha) is often immediately followed by g#. Mercha occurs in 88% of the verses of the 21 books, but in most of them (80%) it is immediately followed by g#. That confines the verses for recitation on f to 3,829 verses out of 18,720 in the 21 books. 

We already have encountered one such verse in the table of rarely used accent, tarsin. I have called on the verse from 2 Samuel 19 again for this mercha-tifha table. 

Another verse, Deuteronomy 5:7 briefly uses an accent while the recitation is on f in a very complex fashion. 
7 ♪B Not it is for you: other gods over my presence.
ז ל֣א יהי֥ה לך֛֩ אלה֥֨ים אחר֖֜ים על־פנֽ֗י 15
z la ihih lç alohim akrim yl-pnii
Deuteronomy 5:7 
Here you see three syllables each containing two accents. I know there are other explanations for this feature, but it occurs in other places than the decalogue and the deciphering key handles multiple accents on a word or syllable just fine. 

And I chose at random a verse from Jeremiah out of the thousands. He uses mercha, reciting note f, to great effect for his 'woe is me' verse.

19 ♪f Woe to me over my brokenness. My defeat is ill.
And I, I said, Surely this is my illness, and I must bear it.
יט א֥וי לי֙ על־שבר֔י נחל֖ה מכת֑י
ואנ֣י אמ֔רתי א֛ך ז֥ה חל֖י ואשאֽנו
11
15
iT aoi li yl-wbri nklh mcti
vani amrti aç zh koli vawanu

Jeremiah 10:19a

There's still more to do -- find the verse with the zarqa -- then we could almost call this a zarqa table (but I didn't). The verse is 2 Samuel 3:8 and what do you know, but there is the zarqa and the tsinnor on the same word! Double accents are found not just in the Decalogue.

from 2 Samuel 3:8
Now all I need is a revia, an azla, (both provided by Joshua 20:12) and a telisha gedolah (2 Chronicles 20:12 is the only one) to complete the mercha series. And a qadma, a tsinnor and a pashta to complete the tifha series. These last few are coming from the Decalogue again. 

I think I can see why the training in this music would occupy several years as Suzanne Haïk-Vantoura writes.

Mercha Tifha table for the 21 books
selections from 2 Samuel 19:12, Deuteronomy 5:7, Jeremiah 10:19,
2 Chronicles 20:12 Joshua 17:2, Deuteronomy 5:12






 



No comments:

Post a Comment