Sunday 18 October 2020

BugsRus

 I have often said that programmers should have a company called BugsRus.

I have been stymied by my own these past few days. And just now I found a bug in Notepad!

The oldest text editor in the world has an infinite loop if you have only one instance of an item to be replaced and the item is implicitly recursive.

Because of the issues of alphabets, I have to prepare an escape for tet - I change 't to ''t. I should have avoided this, it is a limit in the display choices by the creator of SimHebrew, it's achilles heel.

Control-H (multi-instance replace) will loop if you try to change 't to ''t and there is only one instance in the file. It loops forever. It depends on end-of-file to stop its loop and end of file never comes.

I have had to do this because loading my test data is also taking 'forever'.

I have multiplied the test data by 4 and must add half again to get the full 300,000 words into the database from the base translation of square text into Latin text. So a better mechanism is required, selective insert rather than delete and recreate from scratch. Ad hoc test data creation is always a bit of a problem.

While doing this I broke a few other things too, so I am holding myself up with my own bugs as well.

News: a test chapter made it through my new load in seconds instead of minutes. Why did I not do this ages ago!

Plodding along.



No comments:

Post a Comment