Thursday 30 July 2020

Naming things - what is the justification in calling pointed texts lacking?

I am frankly somewhat baffled that the WLC niqqud texts is called haser חסר or lacking, when it is so full of information and this information is not lost when the text is translated to music as I have demonstrated. But the so-called maleh text loses information over the WLC. So how is the WLC lacking?

Psalms 23
מִזְמ֥וֹר לְדָוִ֑ד
יְהוָ֥ה רֹ֝עִ֗י לֹ֣א אֶחְסָֽר
a mzmor ldvid
ihvh royi la aksr
א מזמור לדויד
יהוה רועי לא אחסר
1 A psalm of David.
Yahweh is my shepherd. I will not lack.
בִּנְא֣וֹת דֶּ֭שֶׁא יַרְבִּיצֵ֑נִי
עַל־מֵ֖י מְנֻח֣וֹת יְנַהֲלֵֽנִי
b bnaot dwa irbixni
yl-mi mnukot inhlni
ב בנאות דשא ירביצני
על־מי מנוחות ינהלני
2 In verdant loveliness he makes me recline.
By waters at rest he refreshes me.



No comments:

Post a Comment