Tuesday 16 June 2020

Jeremiah 28:5-9 a choral take on the first lesson for July 5

"It could be rehearsed and sung from this copy." So I wrote in an earlier post. But it would be the least imaginative treatment of the section. What if there is a remnant, not an individual, who takes up the prophetic call in the name of all that is holy. Then we are seeing and hearing a tension in the social fabric. Let's see what happens. Maybe we begin with a multi-vocal invocation, a sound of many waters to use a Scriptural image, and emphasize the public nature of the confrontation.

Of course, one still has to imagine (by reading or preaching the context in the prior chapters) to what it was that Jeremiah is saying Amen.

Besides the context which is always in the mind of the composer / dramatist, I also like to explore the rhythms of the translated text. This is a very challenging moment for me. I often wonder just how a composer 'knows' that this will get to where they want to go rhythmically. I am always asking where am I and where is this taking me! I don't know till I have explored it and done the work.

This is slightly over-the-top. It is neither a motet or a lesson. Probably I would stick with a single cantor. But you might enjoy the vocal exercise of singing the divine name as an accompaniment. And there are many potential affects to be experimented with. How does one appeal to the conscience of Hananiah. It is really a very unpleasant message that Jeremiah is delivering.



No comments:

Post a Comment