Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Psalm 39 and Job 10

There are many shared words in sequence in these two chapters, Psalm 39 and Job 10, the second half of his response to Bildad (though he has forgotten Bildad). Notice the sweep in the table from left to right in each section.
אדּבּרה I speak
░
JOB 10:1דּבּר
אמּר I said
░
JOB 10:2אמּר
תּרשׁיענּי do condemn me
░
JOB 10:2רשׁע
הודּיענּי let me know
░
JOB 10:2ידּע
מּה why
░
JOB 10:2מּה
הטובּ is it good
░
JOB 10:3טובּ
רשׁעיםּ the wicked
░
JOB 10:3רשׁע
הכּימּי as the days of
░
JOB 10:5יוםּ
ימּיךּ are your days
░
JOB 10:5יוםּ
כּימּי be as the days of
░
JOB 10:5יוםּ
לעונּי my iniquity
░
JOB 10:6עוןּ
ולחטאתּי and my sin
░
JOB 10:6חטא
דּעתּךּ your knowledge
░
JOB 10:7ידּע
לא no
░
JOB 10:7לא
ארשׁע I am wicked
░
JOB 10:7רשׁע
ואיןּ but there is not
░
JOB 10:7איןּ
מּידּךּ from your hand
░
JOB 10:7ידּ
מּציל delivery
░
JOB 10:7נּצל
ידּיךּ your hands
░
JOB 10:8ידּ
ויעשׂונּי and made me
░
JOB 10:8עשׂה
עשׂיתּנּי you made me
░
JOB 10:9עשׂה
וגּידּיםּ and sinews
░
JOB 10:11נּגּדּ
עשׂיתּ you made
░
JOB 10:12עשׂה
שׁמּרה watch
░
JOB 10:12שׁמּר
ידּעתּי I know
░
JOB 10:13ידּע
עמּךּ is with you
░
JOB 10:13עםּ
חטאתּי I have sinned
░
JOB 10:14חטא
ושׁמּרתּנּי you watch me
░
JOB 10:14שׁמּר
ומּעונּי and from my iniquity
░
JOB 10:14עוןּ
לא not
░
JOB 10:14לא
רשׁעתּי I have been wicked
░
JOB 10:15רשׁע
לא not
░
JOB 10:15לא
נּגּדּי before me
░
JOB 10:17נּגּדּ
עמּי are with me
░
JOB 10:17עםּ
לא no
░
JOB 10:18לא
לא not
░
JOB 10:19לא
ימּי my days
░
JOB 10:20יוםּ
וחדּל and finite
░
JOB 10:20חדּל
מּמּנּי from me
░
JOB 10:20מּןּ
ואבּליגּה and I will smile
░
JOB 10:20בּלגּ
בּטרםּ from ere
░
JOB 10:21טרםּ
אלךּ I walk
░
JOB 10:21הלךּ
ולא nor
░
JOB 10:21לא
ולא and without
░
JOB 10:22לא
אמּרתּי I said
░
PSA 39:2אמּר
אשׁמּרה I will keep
░
PSA 39:2שׁמּר
מּחטוא from sin
░
PSA 39:2חטא
אשׁמּרה I will keep
░
PSA 39:2שׁמּר
רשׁע a wicked thought
░
PSA 39:2רשׁע
לנּגּדּי is before me
░
PSA 39:2נּגּדּ
מּטובּ from good
░
PSA 39:3טובּ
דּבּרתּי I spoke
░
PSA 39:4דּבּר
הודּיענּי make me know
░
PSA 39:5ידּע
ימּי my days
░
PSA 39:5יוםּ
מּה such as
░
PSA 39:5מּה
אדּעה let me know
░
PSA 39:5ידּע
מּה how
░
PSA 39:5מּה
חדּל finite
░
PSA 39:5חדּל
ימּי my days
░
PSA 39:6יוםּ
כּאיןּ is as nothing
░
PSA 39:6איןּ
נּגּדּךּ before you
░
PSA 39:6נּגּדּ
יתּהלךּ walks
░
PSA 39:7הלךּ
ולא and don't
░
PSA 39:7לא
ידּע know
░
PSA 39:7ידּע
מּה why
░
PSA 39:8מּה
הצילנּי deliver me
░
PSA 39:9נּצל
לא not
░
PSA 39:10לא
עשׂיתּ you had made it so
░
PSA 39:10עשׂה
ידּךּ your hand
░
PSA 39:11ידּ
עוןּ iniquity
░
PSA 39:12עוןּ
עמּךּ with you
░
PSA 39:13עםּ
מּמּנּי at me
░
PSA 39:14מּןּ
ואבּליגּה and I will smile
░
PSA 39:14בּלגּ
בּטרםּ ere
░
PSA 39:14טרםּ
אלךּ I walk off
░
PSA 39:14הלךּ
ואינּנּי and there is no me
░
PSA 39:14איןּ
Job 10 begins with a tri-colon, 7 syllables, 12 letters each line, and ends with a verse that has no rest. There is no obvious verbal frame to this chapter, but there is a musical frame joining verse 3 and 22. Is it good that you oppress and to the land of darkness. I will add the pdf.

Job 10 Fn Min Max Syll
נָֽקְטָ֥ה נַפְשִׁ֗י בְּחַ֫יָּ֥י
אֶֽעֶזְבָ֣ה עָלַ֣י שִׂיחִ֑י
אֲ֝דַבְּרָה֗ בְּמַ֣ר נַפְשִֽׁי
1 In my life, I put up with my being.
I forsake my blathering over me.
I speak in the bitterness of my being.
3e 4B 7
7
7
אֹמַ֣ר אֶל־אֱ֭לוֹהַּ אַל־תַּרְשִׁיעֵ֑נִי
הֽ֝וֹדִיעֵ֗נִי עַ֣ל מַה־תְּרִיבֵֽנִי
2 I said to God, Do not condemn me.
Let me know why you contend with me.
3e 4B 11
10
הֲט֤וֹב לְךָ֨ ׀ כִּֽי־תַעֲשֹׁ֗ק כִּֽי־תִ֭מְאַס יְגִ֣יעַ כַּפֶּ֑יךָ
וְעַל־עֲצַ֖ת רְשָׁעִ֣ים הוֹפָֽעְתָּ
3 C Is it good to you that you oppress, that you refuse the exertion of your palms,
and shine on the counsel of the wicked?
3e 4C 16
10
הַעֵינֵ֣י בָשָׂ֣ר לָ֑ךְ
אִם־כִּרְא֖וֹת אֱנ֣וֹשׁ תִּרְאֶֽה
4 Eyes of flesh have you,
that you see as a mortal sees?
3e 4B 6
7
הֲכִימֵ֣י אֱנ֣וֹשׁ יָמֶ֑יךָ
אִם־שְׁ֝נוֹתֶ֗יךָ כִּ֣ימֵי גָֽבֶר
5 Are your days as the days of a mortal,
as if your years be as the days of a valiant one,
3e 4B 8
9
כִּֽי־תְבַקֵּ֥שׁ לַעֲוֺנִ֑י
וּ֭לְחַטָּאתִ֥י תִדְרֽוֹשׁ
6 that you seek my iniquity,
and my sin search out?
3e 4A 8
6
עַֽל־דַּ֭עְתְּךָ כִּי־לֹ֣א אֶרְשָׁ֑ע
וְאֵ֖ין מִיָּדְךָ֣ מַצִּֽיל
7 Is it in your knowledge that I am not wicked,
but there is no delivery from your hand?
3e 4B 7
7
יָדֶ֣יךָ עִ֭צְּבוּנִי וַֽיַּעֲשׂ֑וּנִי
יַ֥חַד סָ֝בִ֗יב וַֽתְּבַלְּעֵֽנִי
8 Your hands configured me and made me,
together surrounding, yet you swallow me.
3e 4B 11
8
זְכָר־נָ֭א כִּי־כַחֹ֣מֶר עֲשִׂיתָ֑נִי
וְֽאֶל־עָפָ֥ר שִׁיבֵֽנִי
9 Remember, if you will, that as clay you made me,
and to dust you will return me.
3e 4B 10
7
הֲלֹ֣א כֶ֭חָלָב תַּתִּיכֵ֑נִי
וְ֝כַגְּבִנָּ֗ה תַּקְפִּיאֵֽנִי
10 Have you not as milk poured me forth,
and as cheese curdled me?
3e 4B 9
8
ע֣וֹר וּ֭בָשָׂר תַּלְבִּישֵׁ֑נִי
וּֽבַעֲצָמ֥וֹת וְ֝גִידִ֗ים תְּסֹכְכֵֽנִי
11 B Skin and flesh, you clothed me,
and with bones and sinews you entwined me.
3e 4B 8
12
חַיִּ֣ים וָ֭חֶסֶד עָשִׂ֣יתָ עִמָּדִ֑י
וּ֝פְקֻדָּתְךָ֗ שָֽׁמְרָ֥ה רוּחִֽי
12 Life and kindness you made about me,
and your visit guards my spirit.
3e 4B 11
8
וְ֭אֵלֶּה צָפַ֣נְתָּ בִלְבָבֶ֑ךָ
יָ֝דַ֗עְתִּי כִּי־זֹ֥את עִמָּֽךְ
13 g And these things you treasured in your heart.
I know this is with you.
3e 4B 10
7
אִם־חָטָ֥אתִי וּשְׁמַרְתָּ֑נִי
וּ֝מֵעֲוֺנִ֗י לֹ֣א תְנַקֵּֽנִי
14 If I have sinned, you watch me,
and from my iniquity you will not acquit me.
3e 4B 8
10
אִם־רָשַׁ֡עְתִּי אַלְלַ֬י לִ֗י וְ֭צָדַקְתִּי לֹא־אֶשָּׂ֣א רֹאשִׁ֑י
שְׂבַ֥ע קָ֝ל֗וֹן וּרְאֵ֥ה עָנְיִֽי
15 If I have been wicked, alack for me, or I am righteous, I will not lift up my head.
Sated of disgrace, so you see my poverty.
3e 4B 15
8
וְ֭יִגְאֶה כַּשַּׁ֣חַל תְּצוּדֵ֑נִי
וְ֝תָשֹׁ֗ב תִּתְפַּלָּא־בִֽי
16 g And proud as the aged beast, you hound,
you return demonstrating wonders in me.
3e 4B 10
7
תְּחַדֵּ֬שׁ עֵדֶ֨יךָ ׀ נֶגְדִּ֗י וְתֶ֣רֶב כַּֽ֭עַשְׂךָ עִמָּדִ֑י
חֲלִיפ֖וֹת וְצָבָ֣א עִמִּֽי
17 You make new your witnesses before me, and increase your grief against me.
Renewal and a host are with me.
3e 4B 17
8
וְלָ֣מָּה מֵ֭רֶחֶם הֹצֵאתָ֑נִי
אֶ֝גְוַ֗ע וְעַ֣יִן לֹא־תִרְאֵֽנִי
18 So why from the womb did you bring me forth?
I expire and no eye will see me.
3e 4B 10
8
כַּאֲשֶׁ֣ר לֹא־הָיִ֣יתִי אֶהְיֶ֑ה
מִ֝בֶּ֗טֶן לַקֶּ֥בֶר אוּבָֽל
19 For as I had not been, I will be.
From the belly to the tomb I am escorted.
3e 4B 8
8
הֲלֹא־מְעַ֣ט יָמַ֣י וַחֲדָ֑ל
וְשִׁ֥ית מִ֝מֶּ֗נִּי וְאַבְלִ֥יגָה מְּעָֽט
20 Are not they few, my days, and finite?
And lay off from me and I will smile a little.
3e 4B 9
11
בְּטֶ֣רֶם אֵ֭לֵךְ וְלֹ֣א אָשׁ֑וּב
אֶל־אֶ֖רֶץ חֹ֣שֶׁךְ וְצַלְמָֽוֶת
21 From ere I walk nor will I return,
to the land of darkness and shadow of death,
3e 4B 9
9
אֶ֤רֶץ עֵיפָ֨תָה ׀ כְּמ֥וֹ אֹ֗פֶל צַ֭לְמָוֶת וְלֹ֥א סְדָרִ֗ים וַתֹּ֥פַע כְּמוֹ־אֹֽפֶל פ 22 C a land exhausted like gloom shadowing death and without order, shining like gloom. P 3e 4C 24

And here is the Psalm

Psalms 39 Fn Min Max Syll
לַמְנַצֵּ֥חַ לִֽידוּת֗וּן מִזְמ֥וֹר לְדָוִֽד 1 For the leader. Of Jeduthun. A psalm of David. 3e 3f 12
אָמַ֗רְתִּי אֶֽשְׁמְרָ֣ה דְרָכַי֮ מֵחֲט֪וֹא בִלְשׁ֫וֹנִ֥י
אֶשְׁמְרָ֥ה לְפִ֥י מַחְס֑וֹם
בְּעֹ֖ד רָשָׁ֣ע לְנֶגְדִּֽי
2 I said I will keep my ways from sin with my tongue.
I will keep my mouth muzzled,
while a wicked thought is before me.
3d 4B 15
7
7
נֶאֱלַ֣מְתִּי ד֭וּמִיָּה הֶחֱשֵׁ֣יתִי מִטּ֑וֹב
וּכְאֵבִ֥י נֶעְכָּֽר
3 I was dumb mute. I was calm from good,
and my sorrow was agitated.

3e 4B 13
5
חַם־לִבִּ֨י ׀ בְּקִרְבִּ֗י בַּהֲגִיגִ֥י תִבְעַר־אֵ֑שׁ
דִּ֝בַּ֗רְתִּי בִּלְשֽׁוֹנִי
4 Hot was my heart within me. In musing fire kindled.
I spoke with my tongue.
3e 4A 13
6
הוֹדִ֘יעֵ֤נִי יְהוָ֨ה ׀ קִצִּ֗י וּמִדַּ֣ת יָמַ֣י מַה־הִ֑יא
אֵ֝דְעָ֗ה מֶה־חָדֵ֥ל אָֽנִי
5 Make me know, Yahweh, my end and the measure such as it is, of my days.
Let me know how finite I am!
3e 4C 15
7
הִנֵּ֤ה טְפָח֨וֹת ׀ נָ֘תַ֤תָּה יָמַ֗י וְחֶלְדִּ֣י כְאַ֣יִן נֶגְדֶּ֑ךָ
אַ֥ךְ כָּֽל־הֶ֥בֶל כָּל־אָ֝דָ֗ם נִצָּ֥ב סֶֽלָה
6 Here are the hand-breadths you have given as my days, but my transience is as nothing before you.
Surely all futility, every earthling taking a stand. Selah.
3e 4C 18
11
אַךְ־בְּצֶ֤לֶם ׀ יִֽתְהַלֶּךְ־אִ֗ישׁ אַךְ־הֶ֥בֶל יֶהֱמָי֑וּן
יִ֝צְבֹּ֗ר וְֽלֹא־יֵדַ֥ע מִי־אֹסְפָֽם
7 Surely in a semblance a person walks. Surely futility they murmur.
They accumulate things and don't know who will get them next.

3e 4C 15
8
וְעַתָּ֣ה מַה־קִּוִּ֣יתִי אֲדֹנָ֑י
תּ֝וֹחַלְתִּ֗י לְךָ֣ הִֽיא
8 And now why do I wait, my Lord?
my hope? It is of you.
3e 4B 10
6
מִכָּל־פְּשָׁעַ֥י הַצִּילֵ֑נִי
חֶרְפַּ֥ת נָ֝בָ֗ל אַל־תְּשִׂימֵֽנִי
9 From all my transgressions deliver me.
Do not set me up as a reproach of the senseless.

3e 4A 9
9
נֶ֭אֱלַמְתִּי לֹ֣א אֶפְתַּח־פִּ֑י
כִּ֖י אַתָּ֣ה עָשִֽׂיתָ
10 g I was dumb. I was not opening my mouth,
because you yourself had made it so.
3e 4B 8
6
הָסֵ֣ר מֵעָלַ֣י נִגְעֶ֑ךָ
מִתִּגְרַ֥ת יָ֝דְךָ֗ אֲנִ֣י כָלִֽיתִי
11 Put aside from me your touch.
From the stroke of your hand, I, I am finished.

3e 4B 8
10
בְּֽתוֹכָ֘ח֤וֹת עַל־עָוֺ֨ן ׀ יִסַּ֬רְתָּ אִ֗ישׁ וַתֶּ֣מֶס כָּעָ֣שׁ חֲמוּד֑וֹ
אַ֤ךְ הֶ֖בֶל כָּל־אָדָ֣ם סֶֽלָה
12 With corrections over iniquity, you chasten a person and its attractiveness dissolves like a moth.
Surely every earthling is futility. Selah.
3e 4C 19
8
שִֽׁמְעָ֥ה־תְפִלָּתִ֨י ׀ יְהוָ֡ה וְשַׁוְעָתִ֨י ׀ הַאֲזִינָה֮ אֶֽל־דִּמְעָתִ֗י אַֽל־תֶּ֫חֱרַ֥שׁ
כִּ֤י גֵ֣ר אָנֹכִ֣י עִמָּ֑ךְ
תּ֝וֹשָׁ֗ב כְּכָל־אֲבוֹתָֽי
13 Hear my prayer Yahweh, and give ear to my cry. Do not be silent to my tears,
for a guest I am with you,
an emigrant as were all my ancestors.
3e 4C 24
7
7
הָשַׁ֣ע מִמֶּ֣נִּי וְאַבְלִ֑יגָה
בְּטֶ֖רֶם אֵלֵ֣ךְ וְאֵינֶֽנִּי
14 Look at me and I will smile,
ere I walk off and there is no me.
3e 4B 9
9


No comments:

Post a Comment