For the ‘Healing of the Nations’
A Course on the Psalms
To form a merciful crew using ‘leaves that do not wither’
Chagall Tree of Life 1974, Saint-paul-de-vence
When … Six 1.5 hour sessions on Tuesdays from November 12 to December 17, 2013; 7:30 PM
Where … St Barnabas Church Hall. Begbie and Belmont, Victoria BC. All welcome. Cost of Materials $25; bursaries available.
The course objective is to encourage each participant to regular reading of the Psalms. The first three sessions cover techniques of reading and the observable structures in individual poems and within the collection. Sessions 4 and 5 delve into more personal aspects: discovery for ourselves of how the Psalter informed the faith of Jesus and discipline for ourselves to use the Psalms in prayer for ourselves, for others, and for the world. Each session begins with music and includes lecture, workshop, and discussion time. The final session invites music, poetry, and performance from the participants and explores the music implied in the text as it might have been sung when the Psalms were collected.
1. The Psalter – What – When – Who for – Why – How to read them
2. Translation – The Game – Wordplay – Acrostics
3. The Whole – Inscriptions – God – Major structures
4. Discovery – Characters – Use in the NT – Use by Jesus
5. Discipline – Questions – How to Ask – God’s acts – Prayer
6. Music – Signs in the Text – Music or Punctuation – a New Song