Monday 16 September 2024

A sample chapter -- presenting the music and text together verse by verse

 I would love to get comments on this concept displayed in the pdf below. Is this presentation of the information that is in the Hebrew text a useful one? It is relatively easy for me to create these presentations for any text.

I generate the music automatically but the music has to be looked at for each verse to ensure it is sculpted OK and to see if the English can be better conformed to the Hebrew word order. The music can include the full Hebrew text on the top line but I suppressed it in this example. The lyrics are a loosely defined transcription for singing in Hebrew.

Each section of the text of each verse is generated from the database by my own software. My close translation is the top line. Below it is the Hebrew again -- but showing only the signs that dictate the musical phrase. Then there is the SimHebrew -- readable by a non Hebrew-speaking person (with a little help from its friends. 

Should I change a concept or a transcription? Tell me your opinion please. I will post this on a few social media sites by hand - I think my automated posting days are done -- the provider of the service wants to be paid every month. You could reply here or on FB or Twitter (@drmacdonald). Maybe even threads? I haven't tried that yet.

The pattern I follow to merge the image of the music into the text is manual -- image copy and paste -- but not too difficult in either docx or epub format. I think I will use Calibre since it is html that I generate from the database. It would be nice to have a call to Musescore from Calibre but I don't think this is feasible without some programming by me that I don't yet know how to do.

My example is Proverbs 8. Several of you liked the music and text separately, but perhaps non textual people and non-musicians might both like to see the whole message of each verse -- i.e. text and music together.


No comments:

Post a Comment