Sunday 29 October 2023

#Psalmtweet #Psalter 59:5

 A note on this psalm as a whole and its translation is here.

Without whose iniquity? Note that verse five does not return to the tonic. It ends in mid-air!

בְּֽלִי־עָ֭וֺן יְרוּצ֣וּן וְיִכּוֹנָ֑נוּ
ע֖וּרָה לִקְרָאתִ֣י וּרְאֵה
5 Without iniquity, they race and prepare themselves.
Be aroused to my call and see!
h bli-yvon iruxun viiconnu
yurh lqrati urah
11
7
bli yvn i/rx\vn vi/cvn\nv
yvr\h l/qra\ti v/rah

Have you ever considered how much interpretation every translator puts into the work of rendering a text in another tongue? I grew up with Coverdale and I have loved the phrasing, but isn't it true that archaism produces its own beauty when one gets used to it? I love Anglican chant and plainsong also. The pulse and the variations of regularity appeal. But what is the psalter saying to me? Can I respond? Should I respond? Who speaks and to whom? Does ancient story and mythology help me govern myself? Read the comment at the link above -- there you can read the whole poem also. And sing all of it to the music of the accents here. (Also you can find out how the next verse resolves the mid-air ending of verse 5.)



No comments:

Post a Comment