Thursday 6 January 2022

Forbes is continuing

 Alas, he is not here to answer, but I think I spot a problem of general assumption that I wonder about concerning human character. He writes:

"It must be borne in mind that the writers of the Old Testament were the most advanced and spiritually-minded men of their time, and on that account selected by the Spirit of God for making those fresh revelations of His purposes and will which were gradually to sink into the minds and hearts of His people, and to prepare them for further light."

Do you think this is true?

I have no doubt that there are gifts, but advanced (as if anyone knew) is not a term I would dare apply. I wonder if advanced is a product of the 19th century imagination. 

I suspect this may be a common thought, but it doesn't make for humility in the one who thinks it. (I say they were advanced. I understand them, so I am advanced too. -- implication, there are others who are not advanced. And I am telling you how you should understand them.)

The argument is dangerous and will lead to inequity, and ultimately, murder. It is not a pattern of care  but of pity and subservience. Thinking about this makes me uncomfortable. I have met lots of teachers who teach this way.

I am looking at the ebook that the archive created using OCR to see if I can technically edit it. I hope to expose the structure of the mind of the writer and also to make the book easier to read. I don't intend to change the text, just streamline it a bit and fix the typos from the OCR version. But if I were 'editing' I would advise my writer to strike that line and any thoughts arising from it from the text.

If I succeed in getting the ebook to work well, I will let you know. Sometimes when I edit the whole thing, I actually read it with greater critical attention. Even if I feel like vomiting every now and then.



No comments:

Post a Comment