Wednesday 8 December 2021

Psalms 23

 Just for the fun of it, here is Psalms 23.

A version of Psalms 23 that I did the underlay for in 2017 or so.


Syllables: 130. Words: 57. Roots: 53. Root Recurrence: 14%. Average per verse: 1.3.
מִזְמ֥וֹר לְדָוִ֑ד
יְהוָ֥ה רֹ֝עִ֗י לֹ֣א אֶחְסָֽר
1 A psalm of David.
Yahweh is my shepherd. I will not lack.
a mzmor ldvid
ihvh royi la aksr
5
7
m/zmr l/dvd
ihvh ry\i la a/ksr
בִּנְא֣וֹת דֶּ֭שֶׁא יַרְבִּיצֵ֑נִי
עַל־מֵ֖י מְנֻח֣וֹת יְנַהֲלֵֽנִי
2 In verdant loveliness he makes me recline.
By waters at rest he refreshes me.
b bnaot dwa irbixni
yl-mi mnukot inhlni
8
10
b/na\vt dwa i/rbx\ni
yl mi m/nk\vt i/nhl\ni
נַפְשִׁ֥י יְשׁוֹבֵ֑ב
יַֽנְחֵ֥נִי בְמַעְגְּלֵי־צֶ֝֗דֶק לְמַ֣עַן שְׁמֽוֹ
3 My being he repairs.
He guides me in tracks of righteousness for the sake of his name.

g npwi iwobb
inkni bmygli-xdq lmyn wmo
5
13
npw\i i/wvb\b
i/nk\ni bm/ygl\i xdq lmyn wm\v
גַּ֤ם כִּֽי־אֵלֵ֨ךְ בְּגֵ֪יא צַלְמָ֡וֶת לֹא־אִ֘ירָ֤א רָ֗ע כִּי־אַתָּ֥ה עִמָּדִ֑י
שִׁבְטְךָ֥ וּ֝מִשְׁעַנְתֶּ֗ךָ הֵ֣מָּה יְנַֽחֲמֻֽנִי
4 ♪C Furthermore because I walk in the gorge shadowing death, I will not fear evil, because you are with me.
Your sceptre and your staff, they re-create me.
d gm ci-alç bgia xlmvvt la-aira ry ci-ath yimdi
wb'tç umwyntç hmh inkmuni
16
15
gm ci a/lc b/gia xlmvt la a/ira ry ci ath ym\di
wb't\c vm/wyn\tc hm\h i/nkm\ni
תַּעֲרֹ֬ךְ לְפָנַ֨י ׀ שֻׁלְחָ֗ן נֶ֥גֶד צֹרְרָ֑י
דִּשַּׁ֖נְתָּ בַשֶּׁ֥מֶן רֹ֝אשִׁ֗י כּוֹסִ֥י רְוָיָֽה
5 You arrange facing me a table in front of my adversaries.
You fatten with oil my head. My cup is saturated.
h tyroç lpnii wulkn ngd xorrii
diwnt bwmn rawi cosi rvvih
12
13
t/yrc l/pn\i wlkn ngd xrr\i
dwn\t b/wmn raw\i cvs\i rvh
אַ֤ךְ ׀ ט֤וֹב וָחֶ֣סֶד יִ֭רְדְּפוּנִי כָּל־יְמֵ֣י חַיָּ֑י
וְשַׁבְתִּ֥י בְּבֵית־יְ֝הוָ֗ה לְאֹ֣רֶךְ יָמִֽים
6 ♪C Surely goodness and kindness pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will sit in the house of Yahweh for length of days.
v aç 'tob vksd irdpuni cl-imi kii
vwbti bbit-ihvh laorç imim
14
12
ac 'tvb v/ksd i/rdp\vni cl im\i ki\i
v/wb\ti b/bit ihvh l/arc im\im
1lack חסר (ksr) compare Psalm 8:6, 34:10-11, Song 7:2.
3being, נפשׁ (npw) trad. soul = the whole me including thought, engagement, and action over a lifetime.
repairs, שׁוב, (wvb) or turn, restore, compare Psalm 19:8
tracks, עגל (ygl) stronger than a path, well-worn by wagon wheels, compare Psalm 65:12.
4גַּם כִּי (gm ki), trad. even though, the pair of words is rare in the writings. I have kept 'because' to show the limited recurrence in this psalm.
gorge, גיא same word as the salt gorge in Psalm 60:2.
re-create, נחם (nkm) or comfort.
5fatten, דשׁן, (dwn) A word used in this verbal form only twice in the psalms, here and Psalm 20. The word sounds like the verdant of verse 2. Traditionally we bypass the word in Psalm 20. And here we accept anoint as the translation, but it is not the same word as anoint elsewhere.
cup כוס (cvs), also owl, due to the shape of the face of the owl. It has the sense of unclean. But the poet is telling us that a cup or vessel that is saturated because God fills it cannot be unclean.
6reproof, חסד (ksd), or mercy, loving-kindness, covenant presence.
hunt, רדף (rdf) persecute (Psalm 7:2,6) or hound
length, ארך, (arc), slow and long, as in slow to anger, compare Psalms 21:5, 86:15, 91:16, 93:5.



No comments:

Post a Comment