Saturday 4 January 2020

Theology derived from a concordance

If only I could laugh. This is the phrase "little more than theology derived from a concordance" that Mike Bird levels at Grudem here.

I have found that having actually read the Scripture in Hebrew, it is not feasible for me at present to say anything in English that would be recognized as 'theological' in the sense that it is a true conclusion about God that is commonplace in the traditions of western thinking I am familiar with.

If you got through that sentence, well done. I can barely follow it and I just wrote it.

What do I think about 'God'?

You know: God is not violent. We are.  God does not punish. We do. God cares for the poor. We tend to hope the government or the rich will do that hard job.

The conservatives have conclusions they seek to shore up from Scripture. Time to stop doing this and actually listen to the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment