Monday 18 November 2019

Jeremiah 23

Following up on last week's first verse of the week for Bob's Bible, I draw attention to the difficulty of capturing Hebrew repeated sounds in a passage. Three times PQD occurs as a Hebrew stem here. It should not always be rendered as visit. (KJV renders it frequently as punish, a word I never use.) Here it can also have the sense of absent. If you use Bob's Bible with your favorite translation, you will be closer to the decisions that are made for you in translation and you will understand word play better.

PQD recurs in this chapter 5 times, three times in the lectionary portion for this coming Sunday.
Jeremiah 23 Fn Min Max Syll
ה֣וֹי רֹעִ֗ים מְאַבְּדִ֧ים וּמְפִצִ֛ים אֶת־צֹ֥אן מַרְעִיתִ֖י נְאֻם־יְהוָֽה 1 B Alas pastors who eliminate or disperse the sheep of my pasture, an oracle of Yahweh. 3c 4B 19
לָ֠כֵן כֹּֽה־אָמַ֨ר יְהוָ֜ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל עַֽל־הָרֹעִים֮ הָרֹעִ֣ים אֶת־עַמִּי֒ אַתֶּ֞ם הֲפִצֹתֶ֤ם אֶת־צֹאנִי֙ וַתַּדִּח֔וּם וְלֹ֥א פְקַדְתֶּ֖ם אֹתָ֑ם
הִנְנִ֨י פֹקֵ֧ד עֲלֵיכֶ֛ם אֶת־רֹ֥עַ מַעַלְלֵיכֶ֖ם נְאֻם־יְהוָֽה
2 ~ Therefore thus says Yahweh the God of Israel concerning the pastors who pasture my people, You have dispersed my flock and banished them, and have not visited them.
Note me well, I will visit upon you the evil of your practices, an oracle of Yahweh.
3c 4C 43
18
וַאֲנִ֗י אֲקַבֵּץ֙ אֶת־שְׁאֵרִ֣ית צֹאנִ֔י מִכֹּל֙ הָאֲרָצ֔וֹת אֲשֶׁר־הִדַּ֥חְתִּי אֹתָ֖ם שָׁ֑ם
וַהֲשִׁבֹתִ֥י אֶתְהֶ֛ן עַל־נְוֵהֶ֖ן וּפָר֥וּ וְרָבֽוּ
3 And I myself will collect the residue of my flock from all the lands where I banished them,
and I will return them to their homes, and they will be fruitful and multiply.
3d 4B 26
17
וַהֲקִמֹתִ֧י עֲלֵיהֶ֛ם רֹעִ֖ים וְרָע֑וּם
וְלֹא־יִֽירְא֨וּ ע֧וֹד וְלֹא־יֵחַ֛תּוּ וְלֹ֥א יִפָּקֵ֖דוּ נְאֻם־יְהוָֽה
4 And I will raise up pastors over them, and they will pasture them,
and they will not fear any more nor be dismayed, and they will not be visited, an oracle of Yahweh.
3c 4A 13
19
הִנֵּ֨ה יָמִ֤ים בָּאִים֙ נְאֻם־יְהוָ֔ה וַהֲקִמֹתִ֥י לְדָוִ֖ד צֶ֣מַח צַדִּ֑יק
וּמָ֤לַךְ מֶ֙לֶךְ֙ וְהִשְׂכִּ֔יל וְעָשָׂ֛ה מִשְׁפָּ֥ט וּצְדָקָ֖ה בָּאָֽרֶץ
5 Behold days are coming, an oracle of Yahweh, when I will raise for David a sprout, a righteous one,
and a king will reign and give insight, and he will do judgment and righteousness in the land.
3d 4C 22
19
בְּיָמָיו֙ תִּוָּשַׁ֣ע יְהוּדָ֔ה וְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל יִשְׁכֹּ֣ן לָבֶ֑טַח
וְזֶה־שְּׁמ֥וֹ אֲ‍ֽשֶׁר־יִקְרְא֖וֹ יְהוָ֥ה ׀ צִדְקֵֽנוּ
6 In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell in trust,
and this is his name that he will be called, Yahweh is our righteousness.
3e 4B 18
14

My verse of the week is verse 2, and its music is like this. Note well where the ornaments are and how they paint the lines. The opening 'therefore', the accusing 'You', the emphasized 'me'.
Jeremiah 23:2 for the music



No comments:

Post a Comment