Wednesday 1 May 2019

Puzzle solving

Solving an ancient puzzle
Our younger grandchild is a great puzzle solver. We are all puzzle solvers. What else is science from the image of a black hole in a distant galaxy to the crisper correction of DNA sequences.

I had messed around with a 40 year old Rubik's cube a few days ago. They were the rage in the time of my children's youth (was it really invented only in 1974?). Anyway, I had never completed one before, and the 3 year old asked me when he saw the jumble, Grandpa, can you fix this puzzle? Three days later, and 25 hours of puzzling, here it is.

I think we should puzzle on and I think we should not necessarily accept the solutions that others have offered to our puzzling universe unless these solutions prove themselves good.

I have been puzzling the Hebrew Scriptures and their music following the solution key of Suzanne Haïk-Vantoura as many of you know. She persisted with her puzzle-solving and created a remarkable treasure trove of available music directly from the Scriptures.

I am exploring this now by composing with her themes to see where they lead me. My initial thought was to write an 'Adam' Oratorio, but I have renamed it Unleashing Leviathan. Ask me in a year or so whether an aging grand parent can write the music he dreamed of writing when he was 17.

(O - and spend $3 and buy a volume of Bob's Bible. You will enjoy the experience.)

No comments:

Post a Comment