Thursday 26 February 2015

Song chapter 2 with cantillation

PDF of cantillation for Song 2 (mode 2, hypodorian) is here.

Here's the English - hmmm - want to try an underlay? Let me know and I will send you a score.
1
I am the crocus of the plain, the lily of the valley.
2
As a lily among thorns, so is my friend among the daughters.
3
As an apricot tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons;
in his shadow I was attracted and I sat, but his fruit was sweeter to my palate.
4
He brought me to the wine house, and his banner over me was love.
5
Support me with raisins, outspread me with apricots,
for ah, I, I am writhing with love.
6
His left hand is under my head, and his right hand embraces me.
7
I have adjured You, daughters of Jerusalem, by the hosts of gazelle or by the hearted dear hart of the field,
if you arouse or if you disturb this my love till it delight.
8
The voice of my beloved, behold, this one, coming,
leaping over the hills, springing over the hillocks.
9
My belovedis like the hosts of gazelle, or the faun of the hart.
Behold, this one, standing behind our embankment, peering through the perforations, blossoming through the grate.
10
My beloved answered and said to me:
arise, you, my friend, my fair one, and you, come away.
11
For behold, winter is passed,
the heavy rain is abolished. It has walked offstage.
12
The flowers have appeared in the land, the time of psalm-singing touches,
and the tone of the turtledove is heard in our land.
13
The fig tree ripens her early fruit; and the vines with a tender bud give a smell.
Arise, you, my friend, my fair one, and you, come away.
14
My dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the secret steep place, let me see your appearance, and let me hear your tone,
for your tone is sweet and your appearance is lovely.
15
Catch and hold fast for us, foxes; wee foxes inflicting pain on vineyards.
But our vineyards are budding tenderly.
16
My beloved is mine, and I am his; he grazes among the lilies.
17
Till the day dawns and the shadows withdraw,
surround, be like, you, my beloved, the gazelle or the faun of the hart upon the rugged mountains.

O strange things - my program supports the following modes.
For the poetry (Psalms, Proverbs, and Speeches of Job)
'C4 D4#E4 F4#G4 A4 B4 C5 D5#E5 F5#'; -- SHV default for psalms chromatic hypodorian
'C4#D4#E4 F4#G4#A4 B4 C5#D5#E5 F5#'; -- Major
'C4 D4#E4 F4#G4#A4 B4 C5 D5#E5 F5#'; -- Major-minor Mitchell for Pss 120-134 Lydian Minor 6th f# is flat if singing
'C4 D4#E4 F4#G4 A4#B4 C5 D5#E5 F5#'; -- raised 4th <> prose 4 Hypodorian pronounced chromatic
'C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 C5 D5 E5 F5 '; -- Natural minor aolian
'C4 D4 E4 F4 G4#A4 B4 C5 D5 E5 F5 '; -- like prose 1
'C4 D4 E4 F4#G4 A4 B4 C5 D5 E5 F5#'; -- like prose 2
For the prologue and epilogue of Job and the other 21 books
'C4 D4 E4 F4 G4#A4 B4 C5 D5 E5 F5 '; -- SHV default for prose chromatic dorian
'C4 D4 E4 F4#G4 A4 B4 C5 D5 E5 F5#'; -- Hypodorian - diatonic minor
'C4#D4#E4 F4#G4#A4 B4 C5#D5#E5 F5#'; -- Lydian
'C4#D4 E4 F4#G4 A4#B4 C5#D5 E5 F5#'; -- chromatic phrygian with raised 4th
'C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 C5 D5 E5 F5 '; -- Natural minor aolian

No reason you couldn't combine these in one song - as long as you have two instruments tuned differently - and don't tune them to where they cannot go or you might break some strings - just transpose as needed.





No comments:

Post a Comment