Tuesday 20 August 2013

What questions should a theology of the Psalms ask?

I have been tossing about some ideas on a theology of the Psalms. Some questions occurred to me
  • who are the players and actors in the Psalms?
  • who rules?
  • what is the city?
  • what is the produce, and where is the fruitfulness that we might seek?
More important for this is perhaps - how does God act? and what does God say? - or more accurately what might we infer from the poets about God's actions and sayings and about what they considered concerning their God, whose name YHWH is defined as "the name by which I will be remembered for all time." Doesn't that raise some questions about Jesus or Christ as God?  How might this be dealt with to undermine the will to power represented in the arguments?

There are lots of possible theological subjects, redemption, ransom, creation, suffering, election, heaven, hell and so on - but it seems to me that any abstraction of subject matter must come after the questions have been explored. My post on the subject matter of the psalms based on analysis of semantic domains got a lot of hits. Maybe that's where theological speculation might start...

So what? Do we think somehow that we must have an idea of God?  Is any writing on this prone to generating confrontation?  Probably - but what if analysis were dispassionate for a moment? Dispassionate like the opening of Psalm 18 (joke).

I have left undone a series on key verses, and more on memorization of this poetry. Where will I go - even I wonder...

Now that I have normal comments reinstated - maybe someone - anyone - can comment....




No comments:

Post a Comment